or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What are the greatest menswear brands of all time?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are the greatest menswear brands of all time? - Page 27

post #391 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broski View Post

Excuse me?

you are excused. please read the posts by rach2jlc over the last few pages.
post #392 of 500
So how about it OP, what does your list look like so far? This thread is winding down, we need more controversy...
post #393 of 500
Ralph is king
post #394 of 500

DAKS

post #395 of 500
ffs, rach, you were right. this is just sad now.
post #396 of 500
just some odds and ends. couldn't think of much that hasn't already been mentioned.

willis & geiger
viyella
stetson
rockmount ranch wear (inventor of the western shirt)
post #397 of 500
Arnys been mentioned?
post #398 of 500

The greatest brand would have to be the one still operating after some years - but also still very profitable, highly recommended and well-regarded t in the modern era.

post #399 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones12 View Post

The greatest brand would have to be the one still operating after some years - but also still very profitable, highly recommended and well-regarded t in the modern era.

 

Thanks for that. I don't think anyone else has thought of this in the previous 398 posts. facepalm.gif

 

Yes, this thread is not just resting, it is dead.

post #400 of 500

Though it is not a "wear" but you do wear it...

 

I would have to argue Armani Collection of cologne's, especially Armani Code Black. Look at the number of other "XX - Code" and "XX - Black" that have been released since the popularity of theirs.

 

Though you may not have it in your closet/bathroom, most men had it there at one time (AND it's a great fall back!!). In addition, I can guess those that quote-unquote don't have it, still have some in their grasp....

post #401 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHighSoFly View Post

Though it is not a "wear" but you do wear it...

I would have to argue Armani Collection of cologne's, especially Armani Code Black. Look at the number of other "XX - Code" and "XX - Black" that have been released since the popularity of theirs.

Though you may not have it in your closet/bathroom, most men had it there at one time (AND it's a great fall back!!). In addition, I can guess those that quote-unquote don't have it, still have some in their grasp....

Fragrance is certainly an interesting component of menswear, and some fragrances have definitely had a huge impact.

That being said, "Armani Black Code" was introduced in 2004 and then very quickly became "Armani Code" (I remember at the time some controversy over the name's historical connotations). There was never a "Code Black."

Even then, Armani just followed a trend; Gucci Envy in the 1990's, CK Obsession in the 1980's, all did that spicy/sweet/woody vibe LONG before Armani. As well, even the name isn't that innovative: Versace Black Jeans, Dior Higher (Black), Bulgari Black, Cassini Black Tie, etc. all came before it.

Armani WILL be (for better or worse) in the men's fragrance pantheon... but it won't be for Code. It will be, sadly, for the ubiquitous Acqua di Gio.
post #402 of 500
My favorites (in no particular order):

Armani (raspberry)
Zegna
Tom Ford (eyeroll)
Valentino
Borrelli (has anyone mentioned this one?)
Kiton
Brioni
Ralph Lauren (damnit!)
Brooks Brothers
&
Gucci
post #403 of 500
I don't know enough about the history of menswear, but are there any now-defunct late-nineteenth or early-twentieth century brands that should be considered? (I don't think there were really "brands" much earlier than that.)
post #404 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimus View Post

I don't know enough about the history of menswear, but are there any now-defunct late-nineteenth or early-twentieth century brands that should be considered? (I don't think there were really "brands" much earlier than that.)

Probably not in the sense we're thinking. Again, before quite recently, you went to a maker for something particular... Hermes for a saddle, LV for luggage, Prada for a walrus steamer trunk. Burberry for a trench, etc. The idea of going to a brand with a whole aesthetic is quite new.

My guess would be that these early places you mention would either be haberdasheries (Sulka, mentioned earlier), or individual menswear tailors making a particular shirt, suit, etc. So, we've probably covered about everything...
post #405 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

[*] Not everyone wants to have their bodies flattered in the Darwinian sense - i.e. we don't necessarily care to have a nipped waist and strong shoulder or elongated legs etc etc. This is because humans are intelligent and see past things like a lion's mane and a puffed up puffer fish, but also because some of us like to intellectually flatter ourselves - interestingly sculpted lines and patterns for the point of visual interest can be more attractive than just making yourself look strong.
[/LIST]

I agree with your first point; clothes do much more than just flatter the body in a purely aesthetic sense. Delicate and restrictive clothing, made by arduous and specialized labor out of expensive and rare materials, is actually a great display that the wearer isn't bound to a life of manual toil, and quite useful for appraising his assets (i.e at what levels he has the means necessary for conspicuous consumption, conspicuous leisure & conspicuous waste).

A good analogue would be the outlandish ornamentation so common in animals, such as the peacock's tail, which exists solely to display pretty much the exact same qualities as expensive clothes do in the human context!
Edited by Babar - 10/1/12 at 3:59pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What are the greatest menswear brands of all time?