or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What are the greatest menswear brands of all time?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are the greatest menswear brands of all time? - Page 16

post #226 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenH View Post

Mr. Ralph Lipschitz


I like how when people criticize him, they have to revert to using this name. It just shows that your criticism is of low value, and you use his former name to bring plausibility to your statement.


Not that I completely disagree, just something I've noticed many people do, when they have that tid-bit of knowledge.


In any case: I'm not sure what this thread has evolved into, but I for one vote for Ralph Lauren, Norman Hilton, J Press, Harris Tweed, Sy Devore, Brooks Brothers, Levi's, Corneliani, Hickey, Hermes, Oxxford, Gitman, Paul Stuart, just to name a few...
post #227 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post

I like how when people criticize him, they have to revert to using this name. It just shows that your criticism is of low value, and you use his former name to bring plausibility to your statement.

How is it a criticism when I mentioned his birth name? Especially when it is necessary to do so in order to show his re-branding of himself is a brilliant marketing move?

Perhaps you did not read some of my posts, or perhaps you have reading comprehension problems. In either case, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenH View Post

To show his brilliance in re-branding himself and conveying his label as Waspy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenH View Post

Mr. Ralph Lipschitz is a brilliant merchandiser and businessman, and his lines are loved by all segments of economical class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenH View Post

RL is the most successful brand in history.

Edited by JensenH - 9/26/12 at 2:01am
post #228 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenH View Post

How is it a criticism when I mentioned his birth name? Especially when it is necessary to do so in order to show his re-branding of himself is a brilliant marketing move?
Perhaps you did not read some of my posts, or perhaps you have reading comprehension problems. In either case, see below.

If you knew anything about him, then you'd know he didn't change his name for the sake of his company, his brother Jerry changed his name first to Jerry Lauren, and Ralph did so soon after - only because they were bullied in school and made fun of, for their last name.

Your point that he changed his name to rebrand himself is moot - since he had no plans of becoming a successful clothing designer when he was in school...
post #229 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post


If you knew anything about him, then you'd know he didn't change his name for the sake of his company, his brother Jerry changed his name first to Jerry Lauren, and Ralph did so soon after - only because they were bullied in school and made fun of, for their last name.
Your point that he changed his name to rebrand himself is moot - since he had no plans of becoming a successful clothing designer when he was in school...

I believe clothing came into the picture after Ralph's success with his neck tie store? His brother Jerry still runs neckwear for him I think.

 

The best menswear brand of all time is Polo.  None of these niche brands have much cred outside of SF. Polo runs the spectrum -- laymen to fashion expert. A heritage brand that does every facet of menswear good to great.

 

Timeless lifestyle heritage brand -- check

Luxury brand (RLPL) -- check

Fashion brand (RLBL) -- check

Classic brand (PRL) -- check

Western/street wear/work wear/vintage (RR) -- check

Young folks (Rugby)

High end footwear/accessories (Made in England/Italy/America) -- check

Mass brands -- check

Monster distribution -- check

 

Say Ralph is lacking innovation if you want, it's overshadowed by everything else. Plus, as mentioned, why does something have to be net new all the time?  Ralph's not reinventing the wheel here, he's doing classic menswear plus. The greatest brand must have sustainability, and we can all agree Ralph is able to reinvent his brands over and over. Not so much in regard to some of these "innovators" who become tied to their "innovations" that ultimately go out of style (Armani). Couple things would be around after a nuclear war... cockroaches and Ralph Lauren.


Edited by Frankie22 - 9/26/12 at 6:55am
post #230 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenH View Post


How is it a criticism when I mentioned his birth name? Especially when it is necessary to do so in order to show his re-branding of himself is a brilliant marketing move?
Perhaps you did not read some of my posts, or perhaps you have reading comprehension problems. In either case, see below.

 

It hints of anti-semitism - whether that is what you intended or not - that's why.

post #231 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie22 View Post

I believe clothing came into the picture after Ralph's success with his neck tie store? His brother Jerry still runs neckwear for him I think.

The best menswear brand of all time is Polo.  None of these niche brands have much cred outside of SF. Polo runs the spectrum -- laymen to fashion expert. A heritage brand that does every facet of menswear good to great.

Timeless lifestyle heritage brand -- check
Luxury brand (RLPL) -- check
Fashion brand (RLBL) -- check
Classic brand (PRL) -- check
Western/street wear/work wear/vintage (RR) -- check
High end footwear/accessories (Made in England/Italy/America) -- check
Mass brands -- check
Monster distribution -- check

Say Ralph is lacking innovation if you want, it's overshadowed by everything else. Plus, as mentioned, why does something have to be net new all the time?  Ralph's not reinventing the wheel here, he's doing classic menswear plus. The greatest brand must have sustainability, and we can all agree Ralph is able to reinvent his brands over and over. Not so much in regard to some of these "innovators" who become tied to their "innovations" that ultimately go out of style (Armani).

You forgot to include Rugby Ralph Lauren!
post #232 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post


You forgot to include Rugby Ralph Lauren!

Added. 

post #233 of 500
Great thread.

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

...Tears for Fears...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #234 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie22 View Post


The best menswear brand of all time is Polo.  None of these niche brands have much cred outside of SF. Polo runs the spectrum -- laymen to fashion expert. A heritage brand that does every facet of menswear good to great.
Couple things would be around after a nuclear war... cockroaches and Ralph Lauren.

Boom.

Right now I'm wearing a 30something year old rugby that still looks great.
post #235 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

Fok has pretty much a great list and while Nike and Addidas are not "menswear" per se, I don't think their importance should be overlooked.
I'd be also tempted to add Fred Perry for it's longevity as a youth/music/lifestyle brand.

Lacoste belong on any top50 and it's not like I like the brand. No shoemaker, watchmaker or whatever belongs on the list and nothing like Hermès does for men. Hermès has no influence on how men dress, no design innovation and barely anything else to offer beyond ties with printed sharks.
post #236 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

It hints of anti-semitism - whether that is what you intended or not - that's why.
I've used the same phrasing. I have a fairly unusual name irl, and I wouldn't change it no matter what people said. I would support Ralph Lauren wholeheartedly if he decided that he needed a nom de plume for his clothing line, but changing your name because people were giving you grief about your heritage - really, that's the part I find distasteful, and frankly, a little cowardly. But this is completely tangential to the conversation - he has undoubtedly created something amazing, all personal faults aside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post

You forgot to include Rugby Ralph Lauren!

you actually forgot RLX too, which is a pretty important part of the family of brands. It was in the latest Polo show, where RLX pieces were worn in conjunction with Polo pieces.
post #237 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Lacoste belong on any top50 and it's not like I like the brand. No shoemaker, watchmaker or whatever belongs on the list and nothing like Hermès does for men. Hermès has no influence on how men dress, no design innovation and barely anything else to offer beyond ties with printed sharks.

I'd agree with Lacoste - it was one of the most successful early uses of outward branding, and everyone does it now - for better or for worse.
post #238 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

you actually forgot RLX too, which is a pretty important part of the family of brands. It was in the latest Polo show, where RLX pieces were worn in conjunction with Polo pieces.

completely true, RLX is actually much more impressive than it makes out to be. They even have a dedicated mobile app for it.
post #239 of 500

Loro Piana.

 

The End...

post #240 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Loro Piana.

 

The End...

How on earth did you come to this conclusion? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What are the greatest menswear brands of all time?