If you are seriously good looking it is only natural that you look good in everything. The look itself isn't very good.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:23 am in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread Last post on Today at 1:47 am in Classic Menswear
- Paul Stuart expands and relocates their shoe department Last post on 7/21/14 at 7:50am in Classic Menswear
- Eidos Napoli Last post on 9/13/14 at 10:07pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Black suit and black shirt. Please show me the best way to pull off this look at a lounge or... - Page 2post #16 of 339/18/12 at 2:43pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17 of 339/18/12 at 2:56pmQuote:
Well, that really depends on the occasion doesn't it?
In a club? Very acceptable(well, remeove sunglasses... ).
In a formal business meeting? Not so much.post #18 of 339/18/12 at 4:02pmI'd say try to stay away from this look if you can. It's too dark and too hard to figure out the breaks of clothing.
However, if you must try and pull it off, I think some accents and breaking up of the pieces will help.
For example, having a shiny belt break the shirt and pants up, maybe a pocket square or tie that has a somewhat light burst of color patterns. A watch that isn't black-faced.
In a club, I'd say this is a lot more acceptable as you can't really see much anyway, but not my first recommendation for a look.post #19 of 339/18/12 at 4:11pmQuote:
Is it acceptable, sure.
Is a loose fitting JAB suit acceptable for business meetings? sure.
This place is about going above the acceptable.post #20 of 339/18/12 at 4:12pmpost #21 of 339/18/12 at 5:12pmQuote:
The "H" Hermes belt screams: "I spent a ton of cash on my Hermes and I plan to give you herpes. Let's dance!"
You'd be less douchey putting your shirt collar on the outside of your jacket lapel.post #22 of 339/18/12 at 5:30pmpost #23 of 339/18/12 at 5:45pmpost #24 of 339/18/12 at 6:01pmpost #25 of 339/18/12 at 6:14pmThread Starter
When i posted that pic i wasn't specifically trying to identify a corresponding belt, but rather an all black outfit. I thing the "H" hermes belt is really about somebody wanting a belt with noticeable character rather than opting for the generic garden variety SF approved beltpost #26 of 339/18/12 at 6:26pmpost #27 of 339/18/12 at 6:27pmpost #28 of 339/18/12 at 7:24pmpost #29 of 339/19/12 at 1:48amQuote:Originally Posted by quaker13
When i posted that pic i wasn't specifically trying to identify a corresponding belt, but rather an all black outfit. I thing the "H" hermes belt is really about somebody wanting a belt with noticeable character rather than opting for the generic garden variety SF approved belt
I think you're missing the point, or lots of points. Firstly, the idea that 'character' comes from something so superficial, and secondly that what SF approves is 'generic'. What SF MC approves is quality in materials, care in manufacture, and fit and coherence in look.
SW&D isn't that much different simply more oriented to fashion. However they would also laugh at the black on black with the Hermes belt. Because it makes someone look like a ridiculous brand-whoring Z-list celebrity wannabe. Outside of certain clubs in provincial East and South-East Asian cities, there really isn't a context where this works.
This doesn't mean monochrome can't work. But black is actually the most difficult 'colour' to do monochrome in, unless you're going for the classic rock'n'roll uniform of black jeans, boots and leather jacket - and even then it usually works better with some contrast. Shades of grey would be much more interesting from almost any style perspective.
Edited by FlyingMonkey - 9/19/12 at 5:56ampost #30 of 339/19/12 at 3:35am
- Black suit and black shirt. Please show me the best way to pull off this look at a lounge or martini bar.
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › The Needles / Nepenthes Discussion Thread - Rebuild, Rough and... 3 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN Composite -- 20 thumb minimum 6 minutes ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments Spring / Summer 2014 13 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 17 minutes ago
- › DROPS!! - Incotex for K&C wool and cotton trousers - 34" & 38" 18 minutes ago
- › Suit Supply Sevilla suit - Navy herringbone - 42L - Final call 22 minutes ago
- › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread 23 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 26 minutes ago
- › h&m divided 26 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)