If you are seriously good looking it is only natural that you look good in everything. The look itself isn't very good.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Black suit and black shirt. Please show me the best way to pull off this look at a lounge or martini bar. - Page 2post #16 of 339/18/12 at 2:43pmpost #17 of 339/18/12 at 2:56pmQuote:
Well, that really depends on the occasion doesn't it?
In a club? Very acceptable(well, remeove sunglasses... ).
In a formal business meeting? Not so much.post #18 of 339/18/12 at 4:02pmI'd say try to stay away from this look if you can. It's too dark and too hard to figure out the breaks of clothing.
However, if you must try and pull it off, I think some accents and breaking up of the pieces will help.
For example, having a shiny belt break the shirt and pants up, maybe a pocket square or tie that has a somewhat light burst of color patterns. A watch that isn't black-faced.
In a club, I'd say this is a lot more acceptable as you can't really see much anyway, but not my first recommendation for a look.post #19 of 339/18/12 at 4:11pmQuote:
Is it acceptable, sure.
Is a loose fitting JAB suit acceptable for business meetings? sure.
This place is about going above the acceptable.post #20 of 339/18/12 at 4:12pmpost #21 of 339/18/12 at 5:12pmQuote:
The "H" Hermes belt screams: "I spent a ton of cash on my Hermes and I plan to give you herpes. Let's dance!"
You'd be less douchey putting your shirt collar on the outside of your jacket lapel.post #22 of 339/18/12 at 5:30pmpost #23 of 339/18/12 at 5:45pmpost #24 of 339/18/12 at 6:01pmpost #25 of 339/18/12 at 6:14pmThread Starter
When i posted that pic i wasn't specifically trying to identify a corresponding belt, but rather an all black outfit. I thing the "H" hermes belt is really about somebody wanting a belt with noticeable character rather than opting for the generic garden variety SF approved beltpost #26 of 339/18/12 at 6:26pmpost #27 of 339/18/12 at 6:27pmpost #28 of 339/18/12 at 7:24pmpost #29 of 339/19/12 at 1:48amQuote:Originally Posted by quaker13
When i posted that pic i wasn't specifically trying to identify a corresponding belt, but rather an all black outfit. I thing the "H" hermes belt is really about somebody wanting a belt with noticeable character rather than opting for the generic garden variety SF approved belt
I think you're missing the point, or lots of points. Firstly, the idea that 'character' comes from something so superficial, and secondly that what SF approves is 'generic'. What SF MC approves is quality in materials, care in manufacture, and fit and coherence in look.
SW&D isn't that much different simply more oriented to fashion. However they would also laugh at the black on black with the Hermes belt. Because it makes someone look like a ridiculous brand-whoring Z-list celebrity wannabe. Outside of certain clubs in provincial East and South-East Asian cities, there really isn't a context where this works.
This doesn't mean monochrome can't work. But black is actually the most difficult 'colour' to do monochrome in, unless you're going for the classic rock'n'roll uniform of black jeans, boots and leather jacket - and even then it usually works better with some contrast. Shades of grey would be much more interesting from almost any style perspective.
Edited by FlyingMonkey - 9/19/12 at 5:56ampost #30 of 339/19/12 at 3:35am
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › Enzo Bonafe Whiskey Shell Boots UK 9 31 seconds ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 53 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 1 minute ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 3 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 5 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 11 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 11 minutes ago
- › Tips for "wearing in" a new pair of loafers? 11 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding