If you are seriously good looking it is only natural that you look good in everything. The look itself isn't very good.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 4/20/15 at 12:03pm in Classic Menswear
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 11:31 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 11:48 pm in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Black suit and black shirt. Please show me the best way to pull off this look at a lounge or martini bar. - Page 2post #16 of 339/18/12 at 2:43pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17 of 339/18/12 at 2:56pmQuote:
Well, that really depends on the occasion doesn't it?
In a club? Very acceptable(well, remeove sunglasses... ).
In a formal business meeting? Not so much.post #18 of 339/18/12 at 4:02pmI'd say try to stay away from this look if you can. It's too dark and too hard to figure out the breaks of clothing.
However, if you must try and pull it off, I think some accents and breaking up of the pieces will help.
For example, having a shiny belt break the shirt and pants up, maybe a pocket square or tie that has a somewhat light burst of color patterns. A watch that isn't black-faced.
In a club, I'd say this is a lot more acceptable as you can't really see much anyway, but not my first recommendation for a look.post #19 of 339/18/12 at 4:11pmQuote:
Is it acceptable, sure.
Is a loose fitting JAB suit acceptable for business meetings? sure.
This place is about going above the acceptable.post #20 of 339/18/12 at 4:12pmpost #21 of 339/18/12 at 5:12pmQuote:
The "H" Hermes belt screams: "I spent a ton of cash on my Hermes and I plan to give you herpes. Let's dance!"
You'd be less douchey putting your shirt collar on the outside of your jacket lapel.post #22 of 339/18/12 at 5:30pmpost #23 of 339/18/12 at 5:45pmpost #24 of 339/18/12 at 6:01pmpost #25 of 339/18/12 at 6:14pmThread Starter
When i posted that pic i wasn't specifically trying to identify a corresponding belt, but rather an all black outfit. I thing the "H" hermes belt is really about somebody wanting a belt with noticeable character rather than opting for the generic garden variety SF approved beltpost #26 of 339/18/12 at 6:26pmpost #27 of 339/18/12 at 6:27pmpost #28 of 339/18/12 at 7:24pmpost #29 of 339/19/12 at 1:48amQuote:Originally Posted by quaker13
When i posted that pic i wasn't specifically trying to identify a corresponding belt, but rather an all black outfit. I thing the "H" hermes belt is really about somebody wanting a belt with noticeable character rather than opting for the generic garden variety SF approved belt
I think you're missing the point, or lots of points. Firstly, the idea that 'character' comes from something so superficial, and secondly that what SF approves is 'generic'. What SF MC approves is quality in materials, care in manufacture, and fit and coherence in look.
SW&D isn't that much different simply more oriented to fashion. However they would also laugh at the black on black with the Hermes belt. Because it makes someone look like a ridiculous brand-whoring Z-list celebrity wannabe. Outside of certain clubs in provincial East and South-East Asian cities, there really isn't a context where this works.
This doesn't mean monochrome can't work. But black is actually the most difficult 'colour' to do monochrome in, unless you're going for the classic rock'n'roll uniform of black jeans, boots and leather jacket - and even then it usually works better with some contrast. Shades of grey would be much more interesting from almost any style perspective.
Edited by FlyingMonkey - 9/19/12 at 5:56ampost #30 of 339/19/12 at 3:35am
- Black suit and black shirt. Please show me the best way to pull off this look at a lounge or martini bar.
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 6 minutes ago
- › Mood Fabrics 10 minutes ago
- › BNWOT - Ring Jacket A-1 Size Large 14 minutes ago
- › The Grad Lounge 14 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 14 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 19 minutes ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 23 minutes ago
- › Why are people willing to pay more for mainstream high fashion... 26 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...