If you are seriously good looking it is only natural that you look good in everything. The look itself isn't very good.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:27 pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 11:55 am in Classic Menswear
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 5:59 pm in Classic Menswear
- Paul Stuart expands and relocates their shoe department Last post on 7/21/14 at 7:50am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: Today
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Black suit and black shirt. Please show me the best way to pull off this look at a lounge or martini bar. - Page 2post #16 of 339/18/12 at 2:43pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17 of 339/18/12 at 2:56pmQuote:
Well, that really depends on the occasion doesn't it?
In a club? Very acceptable(well, remeove sunglasses... ).
In a formal business meeting? Not so much.post #18 of 339/18/12 at 4:02pmI'd say try to stay away from this look if you can. It's too dark and too hard to figure out the breaks of clothing.
However, if you must try and pull it off, I think some accents and breaking up of the pieces will help.
For example, having a shiny belt break the shirt and pants up, maybe a pocket square or tie that has a somewhat light burst of color patterns. A watch that isn't black-faced.
In a club, I'd say this is a lot more acceptable as you can't really see much anyway, but not my first recommendation for a look.post #19 of 339/18/12 at 4:11pmQuote:
Is it acceptable, sure.
Is a loose fitting JAB suit acceptable for business meetings? sure.
This place is about going above the acceptable.post #20 of 339/18/12 at 4:12pmpost #21 of 339/18/12 at 5:12pmQuote:
The "H" Hermes belt screams: "I spent a ton of cash on my Hermes and I plan to give you herpes. Let's dance!"
You'd be less douchey putting your shirt collar on the outside of your jacket lapel.post #22 of 339/18/12 at 5:30pmpost #23 of 339/18/12 at 5:45pmpost #24 of 339/18/12 at 6:01pmpost #25 of 339/18/12 at 6:14pmThread Starter
When i posted that pic i wasn't specifically trying to identify a corresponding belt, but rather an all black outfit. I thing the "H" hermes belt is really about somebody wanting a belt with noticeable character rather than opting for the generic garden variety SF approved beltpost #26 of 339/18/12 at 6:26pmpost #27 of 339/18/12 at 6:27pmpost #28 of 339/18/12 at 7:24pmpost #29 of 339/19/12 at 1:48amQuote:Originally Posted by quaker13
When i posted that pic i wasn't specifically trying to identify a corresponding belt, but rather an all black outfit. I thing the "H" hermes belt is really about somebody wanting a belt with noticeable character rather than opting for the generic garden variety SF approved belt
I think you're missing the point, or lots of points. Firstly, the idea that 'character' comes from something so superficial, and secondly that what SF approves is 'generic'. What SF MC approves is quality in materials, care in manufacture, and fit and coherence in look.
SW&D isn't that much different simply more oriented to fashion. However they would also laugh at the black on black with the Hermes belt. Because it makes someone look like a ridiculous brand-whoring Z-list celebrity wannabe. Outside of certain clubs in provincial East and South-East Asian cities, there really isn't a context where this works.
This doesn't mean monochrome can't work. But black is actually the most difficult 'colour' to do monochrome in, unless you're going for the classic rock'n'roll uniform of black jeans, boots and leather jacket - and even then it usually works better with some contrast. Shades of grey would be much more interesting from almost any style perspective.
Edited by FlyingMonkey - 9/19/12 at 5:56ampost #30 of 339/19/12 at 3:35am
- Black suit and black shirt. Please show me the best way to pull off this look at a lounge or martini bar.
Styleforum Top Picks
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 50 seconds ago
- › Recent Purchases (Classic menswear - formerly Men's clothing) 2 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 6 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 15 minutes ago
- › World Wide Artisan Thread. 17 minutes ago
- › Gitman Brothers Vintage 19 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 21 minutes ago
- › Management Consulting Discussion 22 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 25 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 25 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...