or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Have you ever thrown everything out?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Have you ever thrown everything out? - Page 2

post #16 of 40

In fact, I felt great when I did this, even i didn't do it frequently...

post #17 of 40
I do it about two-three times a year, usually when moving things in or out of seasonal storage. Sometimes it hurts donating a piece I really like. Yesterday I dumped a shirt I really like the look of but where the sleeves are not right (about 0.5" too short) . I will always feel uncomfortable wearing it so it 's best to purge it from the wardrobe.
post #18 of 40
I have done this at least twice where I got rid of everything except the clothes on my back. Furniture and everything, too.
post #19 of 40
Probably about 9 months ago about 9 MTM suits went to goodwill. A bunch of shirts will be heading there soon.
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupendous View Post

I recently gave away 15 pairs of assorted footwear...
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Probably about 9 months ago about 9 MTM suits went to goodwill.

You know you're on SF when you give away more than what most people have.

tinfoil.gif
post #21 of 40
Beats trying to sell it to the picky, lowballing, assholes on B&S.
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Probably about 9 months ago about 9 MTM suits went to goodwill. A bunch of shirts will be heading there soon.
It was painful to donate all of my MTM suits, but it had to be done. No regrets because what I have now is much better, though not perfect.
post #23 of 40
I once in a long while will engage in a bit of culling, mostly to make room for new acquisitions. If I like an item of clothing, I don't see a need to get rid of it just because I haven't worn it recently.

I did get rid of all my RTW suits in fairly short order. I would have kept my Corneliani pinstripe, but I took it to a local tailor of some renown to have the waist taken in and his people butchered it. It felt like a straitjacket so off to Goodwill it went.
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Beats trying to sell it to the picky, lowballing, assholes on B&S.

Ebay?
post #25 of 40
I cull once a year. Great feeling. The challenge is that once you have a solid SF approved closet, you can talk yourself into keeping anything (even if you don't wear it) I am finally getting to the point of tossing out stuff that was even tailored. Cutting deeper. I want to get to a point where the only things that are in my closet are things I could wear today with no hesitation.
post #26 of 40
I'm trying to do a purge now--went through one a year ago when started monitoring this site. Anyway----the concept of SF approved makes it tricky. I wish there was a list or shopping cart of stuff to choose and rebuild from. I went through a phase a few years back where I wore nice jeans, wingtips or allstars, and a black tshirt 50% the time and got the most compliments I've ever gotten. That said, I'm trying to get more advanced and stick to classic, simple, and a little vintage. Love the advice I get here, but I wish there was a roadmap to get better after a purge. Local menshop offers a personal shopper that I've thought about doing.... any luck on using them? He's a good guy (well respected on here actually it looks like too) and everything I've purchase from him I've been pleased with. Any ideas on if they are worth it?
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by myk7000 View Post

In the last month, I've purged my closet fairly extensively. I've thought about trashing everything and starting from scratch, but you must remember this is a process. A long one at that.
If you want to have quality clothing, it's going to cost quite a bit of money, and unless you have way too much of it, it's not going to be easy to re-buy every staple piece at once. Take it easy, slow, and buy a piece at a time, replacing things you think you won't wear again.
I say throw out things that you know you likely won't wear ever again, but also have a stack for things you want to get tailored, and another stack for things that you are on the fence about.
Donate the stuff you won't wear. Go to a tailor to get the clothes you want tailored... tailored. And rethink the ones on the fence, wearing them time to time to see if you still feel good about them.

 

Agree.  it is a process.  Sometimes part of the challenge is the patience required, really giving some thought to what you buy.  If you buy the wrong thing, it could cost a bundle, then you lose money!

 

You also have to be ruthless - that's what I tell my wife.  If you haven't worn it, don't keep it for that day when you 'might' want to wear it again.  Of course, no one can predict the future, but hey, if you have not worn it in six months, except for seasonal clothing, there must be a reason.

 

I like what you said about getting the things you want tailored...tailored.  Part of it is laziness, and part of it is making sure you go to someone who knows what to do and can execute.

 

I once took an RLPL suit to the guy who takes in my shirts and shortens my trousers.  He butchered the suit!  And here, in Singapore, your options are, to sue (which is ridiculous and would cost more in terms of time and money than the suit is worth), to ask him to pay (ha! fat chance!).  It was an expensive lesson, but now I only go to a 'real' tailor for alterations, even if it costs more.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyshaw View Post

In fact, I felt great when I did this, even i didn't do it frequently...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

I do it about two-three times a year, usually when moving things in or out of seasonal storage. Sometimes it hurts donating a piece I really like. Yesterday I dumped a shirt I really like the look of but where the sleeves are not right (about 0.5" too short) . I will always feel uncomfortable wearing it so it 's best to purge it from the wardrobe.

 

I just did that to a shirt I liked.  The sleeves were just too short, and you could only wear it if you rolled up the sleeves so that no one could tell.  Like I said above, you have to be ruthless - honest with yourself, which is not always easy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

I have done this at least twice where I got rid of everything except the clothes on my back. Furniture and everything, too.

 

May I ask why you did that?  Were there events in your life at the time?  Just curious...how did you feel afterwards?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraiche View Post


You know you're on SF when you give away more than what most people have.
tinfoil.gif

 

I actually laughed when I read this, but it's true!  I gave away those shoes to relatives and relatives of relatives.  Charity begins at home etc.  But you're right - some have more than others.  But, c'mon, in reality, we only 'truly' need two sets of garments to alternate and one pair of footwear.  Everything else is a 'want'.smile.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post

I'm trying to do a purge now--went through one a year ago when started monitoring this site. Anyway----the concept of SF approved makes it tricky. I wish there was a list or shopping cart of stuff to choose and rebuild from. I went through a phase a few years back where I wore nice jeans, wingtips or allstars, and a black tshirt 50% the time and got the most compliments I've ever gotten. That said, I'm trying to get more advanced and stick to classic, simple, and a little vintage. Love the advice I get here, but I wish there was a roadmap to get better after a purge. Local menshop offers a personal shopper that I've thought about doing.... any luck on using them? He's a good guy (well respected on here actually it looks like too) and everything I've purchase from him I've been pleased with. Any ideas on if they are worth it?

 

I am relatively new to SF, but I have read the following from several members here at SF - buy what makes you happy, or what looks good, and not get stuck with approved this or approved that (I'm paraphrasing, of course).  There are general rules, I agree, and I'm big on being 'appropriate', but to strictly follow everyone of them to a T - too much time and effort.  Moderation in all things.

 

Regarding your question about a personal shopper - I assume he will charge extra?  Reading the posts on this forum and asking questions works almost as well, in my opinoinion, and you get a multitude of perspectives, rather than just one.  Good luck with however way you want to go!

post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyshaw View Post

In fact, I felt great when I did this, even i didn't do it frequently...


Missed commenting on this in the last post.  It does feel good, doesn't it?  I think that, although we are consumers, and are bombarded with senosory input that makes us accumulate, in the end, our inner selves want it light and simple.nod[1].gif

post #29 of 40
I have normally made small semi-annual purges. If it is something i rarely wear, i don't need it. The process has been coupled with a move away from impulse buying and has resulted in a more carefully curated wardrobe. Plus the initial Men's Clothing Classified's "buy it because it is [insert brand name here] and it is [insert % here] off retail!" behavior peaked early and faded.

But i am in the process of my first complete purge. It is motivated by practicality: getting to and maintaining a target weight for nearly two years and finally recognizing that RTW regular and many short jackets do not work for me. So all of it goes save for my shoes.

Suits, jackets, ties and pents have been carefully replaced by bespoke because I am no longer willing to compromise on fit.

All that is left is the decision on how to get rid of things. I still have a large number of relatively recent pieces that remain after the old stuff went straight to the bin. I just have to decide if it is worth it to sell them or better to donate them.

Thoughts on the method of disposal? Or can a true purge happen only if you donate or throw it in the garbage bin?
post #30 of 40
Regulalr culls are needed - fills the dustbin.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Have you ever thrown everything out?