or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Iron Ranger Vs. Wolverine 1000 Mile
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Red Wing Iron Ranger Vs. Wolverine 1000 Mile

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

So I've been looking for a pair of boots lately and the two most recommended boots that I've gotten have been the:

 

Red Wing Iron Rangers

 

and

 

Wolverine 1000 Mile

 

 

At first I always thought these boots seemed too bulky / boxy but I keep revisiting them because I can't seem to get an accurate picture in my head of how they REALLY look.

The reason is because they can look extremely flattering/nice in certain pics and not so much in others. I also can't see them in person because I am currently not in a place that has any stores with them in stock.

 

Here is what I mean by sexy / not so sexy.

 

SEXY:

 

 

 

 

 

NOT SEXY: 

 

 

 

 

 

I honestly can't tell if its just the way the "NOT SEXY" ones are being worn or if they just look like that. The main thing that I am afraid of are thick toes and thats what some of these pictures depict. 

 

I really want to like these boots but I am seriously riding the fence. I don't want to lug around a pair of "work boots" looking shoes. Especially because I'm on the shorter side (5'8-5'9) and bulky shoes would make me seem even shorter.

 

I also can't decide between the 2 shoes. 

 

Can anyone offer any advice/suggestions between these 2 shoes? 

IE:

sizing, quality, durability, color accuracy, etc.

Sole material? (iron ranger looks like rubber sole VS. Wolverine looks like leather sole)

 

I've generally got the vibe that both boots are great quality/durability. But color can vary from picture to picture and sizing can vary as well. (I'm typically 9.5/10)

 

 

P.S.

 

I believe I've already looked through many threads about these two shoes but if you feel like a certain pic/post on a thread would solve my issue please feel free to post, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

 

 

 

Thanks ahead of time.

 

 

EDIT UPDATE:
 

Are the dark brown iron rangers not popular? or are they not being made as much anymore?

http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-red-wing-heritage-iron-ranger-copper-rough-and-tough-p_id274045?adtrack=froogle&term=Men%27s+Red+Wing+Heritage+Iron+Ranger&offer=&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=31757812

 

Most sites either sell black/amber/hawthorne and exclude the dark brown color....why?


Edited by tgod93 - 9/16/12 at 7:24pm
post #2 of 12

So which boots are which?  I think you are being fooled by the photography.  Even the most beautiful super models can look ugly if you photography them at the wrong angle.

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01000001010011 View Post

So which boots are which?  I think you are being fooled by the photography.  Even the most beautiful super models can look ugly if you photography them at the wrong angle.

the iron rangers have the cap toe and the wolverines dont. 

post #4 of 12

Please keep your internal thoughts internal. This post is a massive headache of non-sense. Search more, read more, research more & post garbage less. 

post #5 of 12

I own a pair of both (although I just sold the 1000 Mile boots last night after about 9 months of ownership, and varying levels of wear). The Wolverines are definitely a dressier shoe, but I have questions about it's durability. The leather is nice, and has worn in well, but maybe walking on the concrete sidewalks of NYC has taken a harder toll on the soles than I would have imagined. They have held up well, but I am afraid that I might need to resole them in a year or two. Here is a photo of them after a cleaning and a coat of Obenauf's LP. They still look great, but the worry about them, combined with the fact that they were too big on my feet (make sure you size down at least half a size, or possibly a full size), forced me to sell them.

 

I've owned my Iron Rangers for a shorter period of time, but I can tell that they will take more of a beating than the Wolverines could. They are definitely more of a "work boot" style, as opposed to a dressier boot. The sole is described as an "oil resistant cork", which seems to be some sort of hardened rubber material. I don't know the exact details of this, so someone else may have more insight. However, what I can tell is that these will absorb abuse much better than the leather soles of the Wolverines will. The Iron Rangers' leather was much tougher, and ultimately not as "nice", but the Horween Chromexcel leather in the Wolverines is specifically a higher end hide.

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianG View Post

I own a pair of both (although I just sold the 1000 Mile boots last night after about 9 months of ownership, and varying levels of wear). The Wolverines are definitely a dressier shoe, but I have questions about it's durability. The leather is nice, and has worn in well, but maybe walking on the concrete sidewalks of NYC has taken a harder toll on the soles than I would have imagined. They have held up well, but I am afraid that I might need to resole them in a year or two. Here is a photo of them after a cleaning and a coat of Obenauf's LP. They still look great, but the worry about them, combined with the fact that they were too big on my feet (make sure you size down at least half a size, or possibly a full size), forced me to sell them.

 

I've owned my Iron Rangers for a shorter period of time, but I can tell that they will take more of a beating than the Wolverines could. They are definitely more of a "work boot" style, as opposed to a dressier boot. The sole is described as an "oil resistant cork", which seems to be some sort of hardened rubber material. I don't know the exact details of this, so someone else may have more insight. However, what I can tell is that these will absorb abuse much better than the leather soles of the Wolverines will. The Iron Rangers' leather was much tougher, and ultimately not as "nice", but the Horween Chromexcel leather in the Wolverines is specifically a higher end hide.

thank you very much for the post. it cleared up a lot of my questions. I own a pair of clark chukkas and i really dont like that "hardened rubber material" so i am some what leaning towards the wolverines atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiAkuma View Post

Please keep your internal thoughts internal. This post is a massive headache of non-sense. Search more, read more, research more & post garbage less. 

 

dick. if i keep internal thoughts internal, how will they ever get answered? Yes i could try and dig up every single post/thread over the past 10 years on SF but id like to assume that the boots have CHANGED OVER TIME. 

 

You don't think only finding just a few helpful posts out of a million gives me a migraine? 

post #7 of 12
the sole on the IR and the Clarks DB is radically different.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousSabatour View Post

the sole on the IR and the Clarks DB is radically different.

Agreed. I'm not really good at describing them, so you probably will have to do some Google research. And while I'm happy to answer questions, since your specific situation uniquely applied to me, it's not that hard to find the specific threads for Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots or Iron Rangers. Both of those are constantly being updated with similar questions/answers.

 

Ultimately though, it comes down to what you want the boots for; work or dress? Neither is really suited for both situations.

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianG View Post

Agreed. I'm not really good at describing them, so you probably will have to do some Google research. And while I'm happy to answer questions, since your specific situation uniquely applied to me, it's not that hard to find the specific threads for Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots or Iron Rangers. Both of those are constantly being updated with similar questions/answers.

 

Ultimately though, it comes down to what you want the boots for; work or dress? Neither is really suited for both situations.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousSabatour View Post

the sole on the IR and the Clarks DB is radically different.

 

 

thanks for the posts guys they were helpful. atm i believe i am going with the wolverines mainly because im a fan of leather soles and from what ive been able to see they are more "slick" than the IRs.

post #10 of 12

There isn't a wrong choice. Enjoy them. Make sure you size down properly.

post #11 of 12
That's true. I own them both (as well as gentlemen travelers) and they are all three amazing.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianG View Post

There isn't a wrong choice. Enjoy them. Make sure you size down properly.

im typically 9.5/10

 

but from what ive seen on most threads, i will probably size down to a 9.0

 

thanks again guys

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Red Wing Iron Ranger Vs. Wolverine 1000 Mile