or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Advice - Accounting
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice - Accounting

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hey guys,

 

I hate asking having to keep asking for advice from you guys but I have a bit of a problem.

 

The dilemma is should I stay at my current accounting job in a small company doing financial analysis or move to become a fund accountant at a hedge admin.

 

The catch is that the public company I am doing financial analysis for is doing really bad and any time could go under but I am scared of going into fund accounting since I heard its a bad industry.

 

Any helpful advice?

 

Thanks.

post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beingjbot View Post

Hey guys,

I hate asking having to keep asking for advice from you guys but I have a bit of a problem.

The dilemma is should I stay at my current accounting job in a small company doing financial analysis or move to become a fund accountant at a hedge admin.

The catch is that the public company I am doing financial analysis for is doing really bad and any time could go under but I am scared of going into fund accounting since I heard its a bad industry.

Any helpful advice?

Thanks.

I do not know much about fund accounting, I work in public, but is their a salary increase with this move? If you are scared your current company is going under and their is a salary increase I don't see why you shouldn't. Do you like your current job?
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 

Yea I am hoping for a salary increase. It's not that I dont like my current job but there are no people my age to talk to.

post #4 of 12
^ ha
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloIDistance View Post

I do not know much about fund accounting, I work in public, but is their a salary increase with this move? If you are scared your current company is going under and their is a salary increase I don't see why you shouldn't. Do you like your current job?

Is public accounting something you see yourself doing as a lifelong career? Or do you intend to go back to school or possibly move to another professional services field like consulting?
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Is public accounting something you see yourself doing as a lifelong career? Or do you intend to go back to school or possibly move to another professional services field like consulting?

Definitely do not want to do this as a lifelong career. I work at a smaller firm right now. I'm actively looking for a new job, hopefully one with more opportunities and better coworkers. Eventually I'd actually like to get into real estate. I'm saving up cash to buy my first rental property (will have enough money this time next year) and hope to have a few of those and work as a real estate agent. I can't stand being in an office 50-70 hours a week.
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beingjbot View Post

Yea I am hoping for a salary increase. It's not that I dont like my current job but there are no people my age to talk to.

I feel ya on no one your age to talk too. I have people around my age at my firm, but they are married and depressing as fuck.
post #8 of 12
Fund accounting is boring, but you're probably used to that by now. There are lots of jobs that don't require sitting in an office all day, but why a real estate agent?
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloIDistance View Post

Definitely do not want to do this as a lifelong career. I work at a smaller firm right now. I'm actively looking for a new job, hopefully one with more opportunities and better coworkers. Eventually I'd actually like to get into real estate. I'm saving up cash to buy my first rental property (will have enough money this time next year) and hope to have a few of those and work as a real estate agent. I can't stand being in an office 50-70 hours a week.

I can relate to your sentiments. accounting is a bore at first, especially at the staff/senior levels but i think it gets more interesting once you become a manager. my managers are expected to sell services and this makes for a more dynamic workload. perhaps more difficult but definitely more interesting. of course it depends on your area of practice. on that note, im glad im not in compliance
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

Fund accounting is boring, but you're probably used to that by now. There are lots of jobs that don't require sitting in an office all day, but why a real estate agent?

+1. speaking of which, today's groupon was for real estate licensing classes...
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beingjbot View Post

Hey guys,

I hate asking having to keep asking for advice from you guys but I have a bit of a problem.

The dilemma is should I stay at my current accounting job in a small company doing financial analysis or move to become a fund accountant at a hedge admin.

The catch is that the public company I am doing financial analysis for is doing really bad and any time could go under but I am scared of going into fund accounting since I heard its a bad industry.

Any helpful advice?

Thanks.

whats your question, exactly?


okay company in a struggling industry OR
struggling economy in a an okay industry

i would choose the later especially since both are accounting gigs. what do you want to do in 5 years and which opportunity will get you there?
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 

haha once you put it that way probably bad economy in an okay industry.

 

I dont know exactly what I want to be doing in 5 years but I am working towards my CMA designation. So that will probably help. Probably just gonna stick it out with these bad accounting gigs till i get my designation then try to switch. Maybe get an MBA. Just running out of options.

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

I can relate to your sentiments. accounting is a bore at first, especially at the staff/senior levels but i think it gets more interesting once you become a manager. my managers are expected to sell services and this makes for a more dynamic workload. perhaps more difficult but definitely more interesting. of course it depends on your area of practice. on that note, im glad im not in compliance
+1. speaking of which, today's groupon was for real estate licensing classes...

I take it you work in accounting? What area do you work in? Groupon real estate licensing classes...I may take that offer lol.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Advice - Accounting