or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is this a common practice?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is this a common practice?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I just had a Hugo shirt altered (sleeves shortened) at an alterations shop on Hollywood Boulevard. The owner gets nothing but raves on Yelp, but I just picked up the shirt today and found that he had stapled the ticket to the collar of the shirt. When he got the shirt from the rack, he pulled the ticket off, leaving two staple holes in the collar.



I started to say something then and there, but the shop was full of customers and there was nothing he could have done in any case, since the damage (as minor as it is) is irreparable.

Is it a common practice for tailors/alterations shops to use staples on the fabric?

Needless to say, I'm going to Yelp this and modify his 5-star rating.
Edited by majorhancock - 9/15/12 at 4:48pm
post #2 of 10
The holes may go away as the fabric relaxes, but that is idiotic.
post #3 of 10
Crazy!
post #4 of 10
I have only seen this practice in low end dry cleaners. My tailor would never think of doing such a thing...
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhancock View Post


I started to say something then and there, but the shop was full of customers and there was nothing he could have done in any case, 
 

 

He could pay to replace the shirt.  

 

That's inexcusable. Staples have chisel ends that can cut fibers. They're not like pins. 

post #6 of 10
Idiotic is right. Someone should tell them to train their staff better...a lot better. This is a definite no-no.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt10000 View Post

He could pay to replace the shirt.  

That's inexcusable. Staples have chisel ends that can cut fibers. They're not like pins. 


Can you not use the man for the price of a new one? This cannot be considered appropriate in any way.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

I have only seen this practice in low end dry cleaners. My tailor would never think of doing such a thing...

Even the the low end cleaners I use for my shirts are smart enough to staple the tag on the shirt label and not on the actual fabric. Stapling on the fabric is completely stupid and will ruin your shirt.
post #9 of 10

I had that happen to an mtm shirt with a dry cleaner. I pointed this out, and now I get all my cleaning half price. I had originally planned on demanding she pay for a new shirt, but given the language barrier, it was difficult to make the argument. In the end, I think I may have saved money.

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

I had that happen to an mtm shirt with a dry cleaner. I pointed this out, and now I get all my cleaning half price. I had originally planned on demanding she pay for a new shirt, but given the language barrier, it was difficult to make the argument. In the end, I think I may have saved money.


I'm assuming they also stopped putting staples in your shirts, right? Otherwise, half price isn't a very good deal.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is this a common practice?