Thank you very much!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:47 pm in Classic Menswear
- TABARRIFICIO VENETO AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 2/22/14 at 8:23am in Streetwear and Denim
- WESTAGE & CO. AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 2/9/14 at 9:43pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on 8/23/16 at 4:23pm in Classic Menswear
- ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ Last post on Today at 9:04 pm in Classic Menswear
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- What it Means to be Made in ItalyLast edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Winter Coatspost #1 of 209/10/12 at 2:33pmThread Starterpost #2 of 209/10/12 at 3:10pmpost #3 of 209/10/12 at 4:03pmThread Starterpost #4 of 209/10/12 at 4:53pmpost #5 of 209/10/12 at 5:16pmCanada Goose for -10 is certainly overkill unless you have moved to Toronto where it seems everyone downtown wears Canada Goose from labour day until April. In fact I think there is a city ordinance that you will be issued with one and the cost is added on to your property tax or apartment rent.
Canada Goose does have some lighter models. But firstly, What will you be wearing this cold weather jacket with? Knowing that will help people provide you with suggestions.post #6 of 209/10/12 at 6:29pmpost #7 of 209/10/12 at 6:39pmRemember, comfort trumps style when you're shopping for cold weather gear.
-10 is not terribly cold, you'll get used to it soon enough.
Maybe a Land's End "on sale" parka?
http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-waxed-cotton-down-parka~232904_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BRT&CM_MERCH=ov-search-_-parka&origin=searchpost #8 of 209/10/12 at 7:39pmpost #9 of 209/10/12 at 10:56pmQuote:
That's not very cold.post #10 of 209/11/12 at 1:29amQuote:
That's 14 F pal and it's very cold. And even cold Montreal has daytime highs in Winter of 20+. The middle and rest of Canada doesn't matter because no one lives there except dumb newfies and proles.post #11 of 209/11/12 at 1:38amQuote:
This is your best bet. Detachable hood you can leave off on warmer days. When it's really cold add wool pullover and hood and you'll be warmpost #12 of 209/11/12 at 3:47amQuote:Originally Posted by Joker Man
This is your best bet. Detachable hood you can leave off on warmer days. When it's really cold add wool pullover and hood and you'll be warm
OP was actually looking to spend $500 so this is out of that price range.Quote:
My, my, what's with all the negativity, dear boy? His comment was perfectly valid: It's actually not that cold. I think the assumption was that we're talking about an everyday jacket. The thing about living in a cold climate is that you never really spend too much time outside - it's all about going from house to car, building to building etc.
Some of that North Face stuff is perfect if you're spending hours at a time outdoors, but really is overkill for day-to-day wear at that temperature.post #13 of 209/11/12 at 4:17amQuote:
Outside of the obvious comment that -10C isn't that over the top nobody asked what context you'll be wearing this coat?
Overcoat with layers underneath would work.
You could go more working class and get the peacoat.
But then many other things can work.
Then remember hat,gloves. Keep skin covered. Don't get wet. You know all the things kids learnpost #14 of 209/11/12 at 8:44ampost #15 of 209/11/12 at 9:15amQuote:
HEY! Out west -10C is a pretty nice winter day.
Anyway, I stand by a peacoat or a similar weight jacket with a sweater, scarf and touque/hat. Just layer in that cold. You will be sweating in a parka.
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Outerwear
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Neckties: A Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 7 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 14 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 17 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 17 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 25 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 25 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 26 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding