or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Which pair of brown shoes -- double monks or derbies?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which pair of brown shoes -- double monks or derbies?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I'm feeling another pair of brown dress shoes. I have brown oxfords and brogues, already.

I wear dress shoes mostly with slim trousers and dress shirts or suits. Occasionally, I'd consider with dressy jeans, too.

Both are goodyear welted, which I love.

Derbies:



Monks:




Thanks for any thoughts!
post #2 of 20
What is up with the toe of the derbies, pun intended.
post #3 of 20
Monks.
post #4 of 20
Since you have brown oxfords and brogues, I would go with the double monks.
post #5 of 20

 I'm going to swim against the stream here and say a 'no' on the monks.  Thing is, the Lobb monks do look nice and sleek, but doubles are actually a pain in the butt.  Those double buckles make the shoes damned inconvenient  to take on and off, and it's also in the nature of strap and buckles that they don't work well cinching around set diameters-  and a foot doesn't have much give in it, or at least not my foot.  Which means no matter what hole you cinch it to it'll almost always be a little bit too tight, or a little bit too loose.  

 

If you're looking for sleek, how bout a whole cut by G&G?  Anything by G&G is going to be pretty sleek, so good for slim trews.

save a few bucks too

post #6 of 20
Real men wear monks. Alpha males wear double monks and are not afraid to take a moment to buckle into greatness.
post #7 of 20
Who buckles 'em?

'Bout as easy to slip on and off as a loafer.
post #8 of 20
I have one complaint about buckles. If you are spastic, as I am, and fidget around constantly, as I do, the buckles tend to scratch up the leather on the other shoe. shog[1].gif
post #9 of 20
The double monks are rather overhyped, IMHO, and will look rather silly a few years from now. The Derby is a classic look....
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMaximex View Post

Since you have brown oxfords and brogues, I would go with the double monks.

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

The double monks are rather overhyped, IMHO, and will look rather silly a few years from now. The Derby is a classic look....

I can't agree with this....double monks will always look good and be worn by confident men whom have style.....it's not a trend, it's a style choice
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes View Post
 
I can't agree with this....double monks will always look good and be worn by confident men whom have style.....it's not a trend, it's a style choice

 

Sorry, but this just sounds like something copied from GQ magazine.

post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

I have one complaint about buckles. If you are spastic, as I am, and fidget around constantly, as I do, the buckles tend to scratch up the leather on the other shoe. shog[1].gif

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

The double monks are rather overhyped, IMHO, and will look rather silly a few years from now. The Derby is a classic look....-

I've seen a pic of Lawry of Arabia rockin a pair in about 1907, look good too.  Still, I think they'll always be a niche shoe that screams sockless, nipped and tucked n fake-tanned porcelain-toothed wannabe celebrity at Pitti

post #13 of 20

what about these?  EG Westminster in the 888 last in dark oak antique.  Beautiful shoes!

(borrowed the pic from Malford - sorry)

Edward Green Westminster

post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Sorry, but this just sounds like something copied from GQ magazine.

I wouldn't know as I don't read the style advice section.......but I do know the shoe industry......
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handmadeshoes View Post

 

I can't agree with this....double monks will always look good and be worn by confident men whom have style.....it's not a trend, it's a style choice

Sorry, but this just sounds like something copied from GQ magazine.

GQ writers probably copy from us. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Which pair of brown shoes -- double monks or derbies?