Related Forum Threads
- Please critique my new navy blazer from WW Chan Last post on 9/22/11 at 6:23pm in Classic Menswear
- Harris or other Heavier Tweeds - Practical? Last post on 8/11/11 at 5:59am in Classic Menswear
- FIT is KING: find and list all SHOEs, SUITs, and SPORTCOATs in SF Last post on 7/18/11 at 6:47pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- ლ(｡◕ˇε ˇ◕。ლ）SMALL +MED SIZES, a bit of everything: sweaters, trousers, suits etc. Last post on 6/30/11 at 6:05pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Your Spring/Summer Looks Last post on 7/1/14 at 6:56pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Dress better as the boss?post #1 of 149/7/12 at 1:41pmThread StarterHi everyone,I know there are lots of discussions of whether you should dress better than the boss or not, but what if you are the boss? Should the boss dress better than the employees? I am the CEO of a firm in the advertising industry in New York City. The dress code here is business casual. The men usually dress in collared shirts with pants, sometimes jeans, no tie ever. I dress in my suit minus the jacket and tie, with suit jacket when weather is cooler. I really don't mind it if an employee outdresses me, I just personally want to improve the way I dress.I've been thinking of dressing down a bit as I feel that a suit without the jacket is a bit overdressed and may come off a little stuffy or not as stylish in a business casual office. I still want to make sure that I am dressed appropriatetly as the boss however.Would, for example, a more casual collared shirt and jacket with tie be considered overdressed for the business casual office? Would the same be better without a tie? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 149/7/12 at 3:20pmpost #3 of 149/7/12 at 3:39pmWhichever way you go, I would probably not wear just the pants to your suits. I don't wear suits enough myself to run into this issue, but from my reading here, it sounds like the pants wear out faster than the jacket as it is, to the point that people will get two pairs of trouser with the jacket. If you aren't going to wear the jacket, I'd wear pants bought as separates.post #4 of 149/7/12 at 3:43pmpost #5 of 149/7/12 at 4:07pmpost #6 of 149/7/12 at 5:40pmpost #7 of 149/10/12 at 8:20amThread Starterpost #8 of 149/10/12 at 8:37ampost #9 of 149/10/12 at 9:05ampost #10 of 149/10/12 at 10:50ampost #11 of 149/10/12 at 11:46amWhat message are you trying to convey? If you want the whole office to dress better then the example starts with you. If you want to be the "cool" boss then it's ok to wear similar items as your employees.
Regardless of your office's vibe, I personally think it is very important to set the tone that certain situations call for everyone to step up their game. If clients never come to your office, then setting the tone that chinos and polos is acceptable is fine. But when the sales team meets a client then you need to at minimum dress one level above the person you're meeting. If the client is in chinos and polo, then you are trousers and sport coat. If they are in blazers, you're putting on a tie.
I work in banking where we wear suits 4 days a week and business casual on Friday. For my boss, that means taking off his tie but still wearing a suit. It's his way of saying that we should be mostly formal at all times.post #12 of 149/10/12 at 11:56ampost #13 of 149/10/12 at 12:14pmpost #14 of 149/10/12 at 1:21pm
- Dress better as the boss?
Styleforum Top Picks
- Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Currently, there are 1653 Active Users (433 Members and 1220 Guests)
- › Henry Carter Neckwear & Accessories: Official affiliate thread 1 second ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 41 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Men’s Jewellery Trends 2014/15
- › Watch and Jewellery Trends: Black on Black...
- › Trend Forecasting 2015: Men’s Accessories
- › Patek Philippe 175th Anniversary
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...