Related Forum Threads
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 1:16 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my new navy blazer from WW Chan Last post on 11/23/14 at 5:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Harris or other Heavier Tweeds - Practical? Last post on 8/11/11 at 5:59am in Classic Menswear
- FIT is KING: find and list all SHOEs, SUITs, and SPORTCOATs in SF Last post on 7/18/11 at 6:47pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- ლ(｡◕ˇε ˇ◕。ლ）SMALL +MED SIZES, a bit of everything: sweaters, trousers, suits etc. Last post on 6/30/11 at 6:05pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Dress better as the boss?post #1 of 149/7/12 at 1:41pmThread StarterHi everyone,I know there are lots of discussions of whether you should dress better than the boss or not, but what if you are the boss? Should the boss dress better than the employees? I am the CEO of a firm in the advertising industry in New York City. The dress code here is business casual. The men usually dress in collared shirts with pants, sometimes jeans, no tie ever. I dress in my suit minus the jacket and tie, with suit jacket when weather is cooler. I really don't mind it if an employee outdresses me, I just personally want to improve the way I dress.I've been thinking of dressing down a bit as I feel that a suit without the jacket is a bit overdressed and may come off a little stuffy or not as stylish in a business casual office. I still want to make sure that I am dressed appropriatetly as the boss however.Would, for example, a more casual collared shirt and jacket with tie be considered overdressed for the business casual office? Would the same be better without a tie? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 149/7/12 at 3:20pmpost #3 of 149/7/12 at 3:39pmWhichever way you go, I would probably not wear just the pants to your suits. I don't wear suits enough myself to run into this issue, but from my reading here, it sounds like the pants wear out faster than the jacket as it is, to the point that people will get two pairs of trouser with the jacket. If you aren't going to wear the jacket, I'd wear pants bought as separates.post #4 of 149/7/12 at 3:43pmpost #5 of 149/7/12 at 4:07pmpost #6 of 149/7/12 at 5:40pmpost #7 of 149/10/12 at 8:20amThread Starterpost #8 of 149/10/12 at 8:37ampost #9 of 149/10/12 at 9:05ampost #10 of 149/10/12 at 10:50ampost #11 of 149/10/12 at 11:46amWhat message are you trying to convey? If you want the whole office to dress better then the example starts with you. If you want to be the "cool" boss then it's ok to wear similar items as your employees.
Regardless of your office's vibe, I personally think it is very important to set the tone that certain situations call for everyone to step up their game. If clients never come to your office, then setting the tone that chinos and polos is acceptable is fine. But when the sales team meets a client then you need to at minimum dress one level above the person you're meeting. If the client is in chinos and polo, then you are trousers and sport coat. If they are in blazers, you're putting on a tie.
I work in banking where we wear suits 4 days a week and business casual on Friday. For my boss, that means taking off his tie but still wearing a suit. It's his way of saying that we should be mostly formal at all times.post #12 of 149/10/12 at 11:56ampost #13 of 149/10/12 at 12:14pmpost #14 of 149/10/12 at 1:21pm
- Dress better as the boss?
Styleforum Top Picks
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Currently, there are 850 Active Users (127 Members and 723 Guests)
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 9 minutes ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 14 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 19 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 28 minutes ago
- › Definitive Exotic Hide Identification Thread: Post your Hippo,... 31 minutes ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 31 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 32 minutes ago
- › Ambrosi Napoli 47 minutes ago
- › ***The Official Rick Owens Thread*** 53 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 53 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...