Related Forum Threads
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 8:25 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my new navy blazer from WW Chan Last post on 11/23/14 at 5:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Harris or other Heavier Tweeds - Practical? Last post on 8/11/11 at 5:59am in Classic Menswear
- FIT is KING: find and list all SHOEs, SUITs, and SPORTCOATs in SF Last post on 7/18/11 at 6:47pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- ლ(｡◕ˇε ˇ◕。ლ）SMALL +MED SIZES, a bit of everything: sweaters, trousers, suits etc. Last post on 6/30/11 at 6:05pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Dress better as the boss?post #1 of 149/7/12 at 1:41pmThread StarterHi everyone,I know there are lots of discussions of whether you should dress better than the boss or not, but what if you are the boss? Should the boss dress better than the employees? I am the CEO of a firm in the advertising industry in New York City. The dress code here is business casual. The men usually dress in collared shirts with pants, sometimes jeans, no tie ever. I dress in my suit minus the jacket and tie, with suit jacket when weather is cooler. I really don't mind it if an employee outdresses me, I just personally want to improve the way I dress.I've been thinking of dressing down a bit as I feel that a suit without the jacket is a bit overdressed and may come off a little stuffy or not as stylish in a business casual office. I still want to make sure that I am dressed appropriatetly as the boss however.Would, for example, a more casual collared shirt and jacket with tie be considered overdressed for the business casual office? Would the same be better without a tie? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 149/7/12 at 3:20pmpost #3 of 149/7/12 at 3:39pmWhichever way you go, I would probably not wear just the pants to your suits. I don't wear suits enough myself to run into this issue, but from my reading here, it sounds like the pants wear out faster than the jacket as it is, to the point that people will get two pairs of trouser with the jacket. If you aren't going to wear the jacket, I'd wear pants bought as separates.post #4 of 149/7/12 at 3:43pmpost #5 of 149/7/12 at 4:07pmpost #6 of 149/7/12 at 5:40pmpost #7 of 149/10/12 at 8:20amThread Starterpost #8 of 149/10/12 at 8:37ampost #9 of 149/10/12 at 9:05ampost #10 of 149/10/12 at 10:50ampost #11 of 149/10/12 at 11:46amWhat message are you trying to convey? If you want the whole office to dress better then the example starts with you. If you want to be the "cool" boss then it's ok to wear similar items as your employees.
Regardless of your office's vibe, I personally think it is very important to set the tone that certain situations call for everyone to step up their game. If clients never come to your office, then setting the tone that chinos and polos is acceptable is fine. But when the sales team meets a client then you need to at minimum dress one level above the person you're meeting. If the client is in chinos and polo, then you are trousers and sport coat. If they are in blazers, you're putting on a tie.
I work in banking where we wear suits 4 days a week and business casual on Friday. For my boss, that means taking off his tie but still wearing a suit. It's his way of saying that we should be mostly formal at all times.post #12 of 149/10/12 at 11:56ampost #13 of 149/10/12 at 12:14pmpost #14 of 149/10/12 at 1:21pm
- Dress better as the boss?
Styleforum Top Picks
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89
Currently, there are 1321 Active Users (316 Members and 1005 Guests)
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 30 seconds ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's... 1 minute ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Carmina Sizing Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...