or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Hand Sewn Buttonhole Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Hand Sewn Buttonhole Thread - Page 5

post #61 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

Read this post and I became gay for a moment. inlove.gif

:nohomo: :homo:
post #62 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

 

Dont see myself becoming a tailor, but I have a genuine interest and it is something I admire greatly. Would love to learn how to do it... My question regarding was it worth it was more to do with the man himself, I've never heard of him before, I just know he is a tailor on Savile Row...

 

Agree, it certainly is something worth learning. Sadly, dont know much about Mr. Beaman or the course though.

post #63 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

Dont see myself becoming a tailor, but I have a genuine interest and it is something I admire greatly. Would love to learn how to do it... My question regarding was it worth it was more to do with the man himself, I've never heard of him before, I just know he is a tailor on Savile Row...

Then you really want to do a little searching around here for that name before handing over any money. You may be surprised at what you find.
post #64 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs232 View Post

Then you really want to do a little searching around here for that name before handing over any money. You may be surprised at what you find.

 

Sounds ominous... If I was smart, that would've been the first thing I would have done!

post #65 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutshoes View Post

:nohomo: :homo:

lol8[1].gif
post #66 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

I love this thread!! I have experimented on various occasions trying to make a buttonhole and can only say it is REALLY hard to get straight,tight and neat. Getting a nice keyhole shape on the button hole is almost impossible!!

I heard there is a course available in the UK with Darren Beaman, it costs 400 pounds... Worth it?
Several thoughts.

First, the buttonholes on the Beaman jacket were not made by Darren -- he used outworkers to do his work, and a finisher did his buttonholes. I think they are quite nicely done, but Darren did not sew them.

Second, as you can learn, Darren is quite notorious around here for getting in over his head, failing to deliver people's (paid for) clothes, making excuses/false promises, and then disappearing from sight.

Third, if you are in London, I would have to imagine you could find someone to teach you this for far less than 400 pounds. There are many trained tailors around, and I have to believe you can find one who would be happy to teach you for far less.

I presume you've read Jeffrey D's blog with instructions? I think he also did a youtube video?
post #67 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoefan View Post

Third, if you are in London, I would have to imagine you could find someone to teach you this for far less than 400 pounds. There are many trained tailors around, and I have to believe you can find one who would be happy to teach you for far less.
I presume you've read Jeffrey D's blog with instructions? I think he also did a youtube video?

 

I am in London. The only reason I considered Mr. Beaman was because it was a course I heard about, I'd have to hunt around for some other tailor to help me out.. Might get a round to it one day.

 

Jeffery D's blog will be getting a visit from me tonight.. Thanks.

post #68 of 155
Fresh off the Reece machine.

Ftsnc.jpg

iy5rs.jpg

UJUlB.jpg

RF4p1.jpg
post #69 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs232 View Post

Fresh off the Reece machine.

lol Nice smile.gif

Try stripping your twist down. It's a pain in the butt, but the results are so much smoother.
post #70 of 155

Spectacular! What thread do you use?

post #71 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyd View Post

lol Nice smile.gif
Try stripping your twist down. It's a pain in the butt, but the results are so much smoother.

When you do this, do you take one strand of the thread out and use the remaining two or do you have one very long piece of the twist? I tried sewing with 1/3 of the twist and it was pretty wily and difficult to control.
post #72 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin E. View Post

When you do this, do you take one strand of the thread out and use the remaining two or do you have one very long piece of the twist? I tried sewing with 1/3 of the twist and it was pretty wily and difficult to control.

I split it into three individual lengths. You're right- it's pretty hard to work with but you eventually get the hang of it, and using such a fine yarn makes the buttonhole impossibly smooth and shiny (which, after all, is what Asola Lucida means- shiny buttonhole)
post #73 of 155
very nice reece
post #74 of 155
Thread Starter 
Here's the lovely Flusser buttonhole that I mentioned earlier. Sorry for the cell phone pic.

post #75 of 155
^That's sewn with a very fine thread! Interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyd View Post

lol Nice smile.gif
Try stripping your twist down. It's a pain in the butt, but the results are so much smoother.

Yeah, I'm a little scared to go down this path. I fear it may be a slippery slope (although you would say the same thing about milanèse buttonholes, I suppose). I already have an idea on how to reduce the time it takes with stripped twist though! devil.gif

I find it interesting how much I appreciate the 3-button cuff aesthetic now that I'm doing them myself biggrin.gif

AtnCy.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Hand Sewn Buttonhole Thread