or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › taking up tennis again after 20 years, need suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

taking up tennis again after 20 years, need suggestions

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

what do i need? 

 

a starter racket? what's a good brand?

 

Shoes! I need a decent pair. Nike, Adidas, what else is there?

 

Apparel? Lacoste shirts? 

 

All white? 

post #2 of 10

If you have played before, I recommend against a starter racket. Get something decent that needs to be strung. Brand really isn't that important. You want something that suits your playing style (short, quick strokes vs. long, etc). Your best bet is to find a store willing to make some recommendations and lend you out a few testers. Since it has been 20 years, do you even remember what your style was?

 

For shoes, get either tennis shoes or cross-trainers. Don't get running shoes.

 

Unless you want to look like you are from the 60's, I recommend against all white. I don't know if Lacoste even makes tennis apparel anymore. You are probably going to want something synthetic that is moisture-wicking.

post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

If you have played before, I recommend against a starter racket. Get something decent that needs to be strung. Brand really isn't that important. You want something that suits your playing style (short, quick strokes vs. long, etc). Your best bet is to find a store willing to make some recommendations and lend you out a few testers. Since it has been 20 years, do you even remember what your style was?

 

For shoes, get either tennis shoes or cross-trainers. Don't get running shoes.

 

Unless you want to look like you are from the 60's, I recommend against all white. I don't know if Lacoste even makes tennis apparel anymore. You are probably going to want something synthetic that is moisture-wicking.

 

all great advice. In general I'd say take some time to build up your gear/threads. Try out some well-balanced mid-range rackets (around $100), some basic technical apparel from Nike or Under Armour and you should be good to go. Definitely get tennis shoes as they will be a lot better for lateral movement. Having said that I've played in running kicks more than once but it's not very smart.

 

It's funny how many people want to get back into tennis this time of the year, which is US Open-related I'm guessing (not saying that for you, just something I noticed). Reminds me of how busy gyms get in January.

post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 

thanks guys! 

 

is there a better/ other brand of tennis shoe you can recommend aside from nike/ adidas? mizuno? or is that badminton?

post #5 of 10
I personally have found New Balance to make nice tennis shoes, that hold up well over time. Like most tennis shoes the padding isn't that great, and I replace it with an athletic cushioning from the store. That helps the knees and ankles considerably I feel.

For racquets and strings, you might stop by a tennis facility and see about testing out a demo racquet or two. It seems everyone has a favorite brand they enjoy hitting with. I personally hit with a Head racquet, the same as Djokovic uses. It isn't all that powerful, but has good control which works best for me.

Lacoste makes some nice tennis shorts. Kswiss makes good quality clothing also that doesn't fall apart. Most of the time, on hot sweaty days or nights, I'll wear a synthetic wick away shirt from Nike or Under Armour. If its cooler out when hitting, cotton works.
post #6 of 10

One thing I failed to mention in my initial reply: I recommend getting 2 of the same racket. That way, when you break a string, you have an immediate backup and can continue playing while getting the other one restrung. I personally hate using other people's rackets.

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

One thing I failed to mention in my initial reply: I recommend getting 2 of the same racket. That way, when you break a string, you have an immediate backup and can continue playing while getting the other one restrung. I personally hate using other people's rackets.


I think this would be an unnecessary investment for a person that's just getting back into it unless you're planning on spending some serious time on court or your court time is that serious. But this is a tip I would also give once you reach a certain level of play.

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlemalt View Post


I think this would be an unnecessary investment for a person that's just getting back into it unless you're planning on spending some serious time on court or your court time is that serious. But this is a tip I would also give once you reach a certain level of play.

Makes sense, though part of the reason I recommended doing this is that, once I decided I needed another racket, they had long since stopped making my model, so I ended up having to buy 2 new rackets.

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydale View Post

I personally have found New Balance to make nice tennis shoes, that hold up well over time. Like most tennis shoes the padding isn't that great, and I replace it with an athletic cushioning from the store. That helps the knees and ankles considerably I feel.
For racquets and strings, you might stop by a tennis facility and see about testing out a demo racquet or two. It seems everyone has a favorite brand they enjoy hitting with. I personally hit with a Head racquet, the same as Djokovic uses. It isn't all that powerful, but has good control which works best for me.
Lacoste makes some nice tennis shorts. Kswiss makes good quality clothing also that doesn't fall apart. Most of the time, on hot sweaty days or nights, I'll wear a synthetic wick away shirt from Nike or Under Armour. If its cooler out when hitting, cotton works.

new balance is a good rec i'm using minimus right now for the gym/ running. 

 

checked out k swiss. good stuff. thanks!

 

what about uniqlo? the ones djokovic wears? i checked them out too and they are a bit cheaper than new balance prices. 

post #10 of 10
I remember seeing at the US Open that Djokovic was now wearing Uniqlo. He used to wear an Italy brand of tennis cloths that started with a T, but forget its name this morning. Can't say one way or another with wearing Uniqlo. I haven't tried them out before.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › taking up tennis again after 20 years, need suggestions