Hermes, New York.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Have I Figured This Out? (Pocket Square Related) Last post on 9/5/12 at 1:08pm in Classic Menswear
- What's Fair Price For a Silk Tie and Bow Tie???? Last post on 5/29/12 at 11:40am in Classic Menswear
- drop 10/16 NWOT Neiman Marcus wool tartan bow tie Last post on 9/24/11 at 9:29pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Harris Tweed Wool Bow Ties Last post on 9/10/11 at 6:25pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Why the Four-in-hand is always better than the windsor knot
Last edited: 3/24/16
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?Last edited: 2/23/16
- What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?Last edited: 2/9/16
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Bow Ties - Page 5post #62 of 1243/9/13 at 2:08pmpost #63 of 12410/3/13 at 5:28pmpost #64 of 12410/3/13 at 5:41pmThread Starterpost #65 of 12411/9/13 at 2:16pmpost #66 of 12411/9/13 at 6:03pmpost #67 of 12411/10/13 at 1:16pmpost #68 of 12411/16/13 at 2:15pmpost #69 of 12412/12/13 at 7:44pmpost #70 of 1241/9/14 at 12:07pmpost #71 of 1241/9/14 at 12:28pmpost #72 of 1241/9/14 at 1:31pmpost #73 of 1241/9/14 at 2:51pmI'm trying to get the hang of tying a bow tie, although I don't normally wear one I'm getting married this year and I want to be comfortable in the tying of one.
I'm fine until the last bit unsurprisingly but when you bring it up round the back and through the loop I lose a lot of tension in the knot
Does anyone have any advice how to combat this? Or tighten once finished?
Stevepost #74 of 1241/10/14 at 12:07pmQuote:Yes and no.
A bow tie, with a 2-button suit, can leave a significant expanse of shirt front showing. Maybe too much shirt. Depends to a great extent on the suit, and the build of the man wearing it. And on one's personal taste, of course.
So some men prefer to wear a bow tie only with a 3-button suit (or at least a 2-button suit which has a somewhat high button stance). Or only with a 3-piece suit. Or only when wearing a sweater (or sweater vest) with the 2-button suit.
Other men find the 2-button suit w/bow tie look to be entirely unobjectionable, don't think regard it as any sartorial sin to show some shirt front, and don't worry about the whole thing.post #75 of 1241/10/14 at 12:12pmQuote:It's actually almost identical to tying your shoe laces. So, what do you do to combat your shoe laces from losing tension when you get to the part of the tying experience where you bring it around and through the loop? How do you tighten your shoe laces once finished?
Or do you just accept that your shoe laces need only be tight enough, and not necessarily any tighter than that? In which case, why not adopt a similar attitude with regard to your bow tie?
Well, just a thought.
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?
Currently, there are 1569 Active Users (286 Members and 1283 Guests)
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 45 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 4 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 6 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 7 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 7 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 8 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 8 minutes ago
- › Ring Jacket 184 Navy Blazer 36/46 (Loro Piana Four Seasons 130's... 8 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 9 minutes ago
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › AE fit & sizing help
- › 5 of the best Groomsmen’s gifts