I love purple and green together.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Have I Figured This Out? (Pocket Square Related) Last post on 9/5/12 at 1:08pm in Classic Menswear
- What's Fair Price For a Silk Tie and Bow Tie???? Last post on 5/6/16 at 12:22am in Classic Menswear
- drop 10/16 NWOT Neiman Marcus wool tartan bow tie Last post on 9/24/11 at 9:29pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Harris Tweed Wool Bow Ties Last post on 9/10/11 at 6:25pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Why the Four-in-hand is always better than the windsor knot
Last edited: 3/24/16
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?Last edited: 2/23/16
- What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?Last edited: 2/9/16
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Bow Ties - Page 2post #16 of 1299/6/12 at 12:07pmpost #17 of 1299/6/12 at 1:01pmThread Starterpost #18 of 1299/6/12 at 1:10pmpost #19 of 1299/12/12 at 10:29amI've been making my own bow ties recently. Here is one I made yesterday out of an old tie I never wore. The best part about making them for yourself is that you dont really have to bother making them adjustable so you just have to make each side then connect them in the middle. For this one I used a piece of ribbon cut to the length I needed.post #20 of 1299/12/12 at 11:02amQuote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
For me, with almost any style except spread collars. Most of my formal shirts are semi-spread collars which just about works, but point are best for standard bow-ties IMHO. OCBD, yeah, absolutely - with more informal bow-ties. (And of course, wing collar with black or white tie, for those who can)
I think the point collars look nice, however, I have noticed recently that most of the marcella front turndown collar formal shirts available via Brooks Brothers, as well as British makers like Turnbull & Asser (who I think would do a fairly traditional design), etc. are semi-spread. Paul Stuart and Kent Wang have longer ones.
I think wing collar with black tie is more common in the US than elsewhere, but still not preferred by a lot of style authorities.post #21 of 1299/12/12 at 12:12pmpost #22 of 1299/12/12 at 1:07pmQuote:Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
I've been making my own bow ties recently. Here is one I made yesterday out of an old tie I never wore. The best part about making them for yourself is that you dont really have to bother making them adjustable so you just have to make each side then connect them in the middle. For this one I used a piece of ribbon cut to the length I needed.
What's the deal on the pointy ends of your bow tie? Is that a certain style?post #23 of 1299/12/12 at 1:13pmpost #24 of 1299/12/12 at 1:18pmQuote:
How do you get the long part to stay straight and wide as it comes down over the tie from the back while also keeping the tie snug? I seem to have to tighten it and make that "knot" smaller. Yours looks like one of those clip-on ties they sell. (I know it probably isn't though)post #25 of 1299/12/12 at 1:19pmQuote:
Yes, it is...
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2010/12/of-butterflys-and-batwings-some-with.htmlpost #26 of 1299/12/12 at 1:19pmpost #27 of 1299/12/12 at 1:19pmpost #28 of 1299/12/12 at 1:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by FillW
How do you get the long part to stay straight and wide as it comes down over the tie from the back while also keeping the tie snug? I seem to have to tighten it and make that "knot" smaller. Yours looks like one of those clip-on ties they sell. (I know it probably isn't though)
It certainly isn't! And the simple answer is practice. I did also spend some time looking at various videos online on how to tie bow ties a few years back. This particular tie looks so neat largely because of the shape of the tie itself, which is square-ended and narrow.post #29 of 1299/24/12 at 6:48am
I finally went out last Friday night wearing the black bowtie. I had to see people's reactions to how I look wearing it.
I have to report that I was really astonished on the positive reactions I got from both sexes. Most of whom came up to me while I sat and had drinks. The women actually went out of thier way to tell me they thought I "looked good" is how most of them put it. If they didn't comment they at least had a smile on thier faces and a friendly pat on the shoulder. The guys who commented on it were mostly guys I see quite a bit but they were all positive as well. Guys must not wear bowties very much cause people acted like they had never seen anyone wear one before. It was pretty funny!
I wore the bowtie with an inexpensive off-white jacket that fits me well with a white dress shirt. I had a bit of tailoring done to it (waist suppression and sleeve shortening). I also wore black non-iron pants and black loafers.
Edited by FillW - 9/24/12 at 11:57ampost #30 of 1299/24/12 at 6:55am
- What tie would work best with a medium-blue suit for a wedding?
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 4 seconds ago
- › The DETAILS AND MICRO ISSUES OF A TRUMP PRESIDENCY Official Thread 25 seconds ago
- › Barbour x J.Crew International Jacket 2 minutes ago
- › I need feminism because tumblr 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › Hilditch & Key Winter Sale 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 6 minutes ago
- › New Tie - What to wear with it? 6 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway