or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What’s a $4,000 Suit Worth?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What’s a $4,000 Suit Worth? - Page 6

post #76 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

An experienced cutter and tailor on this board is of course welcome to correct me, but my understanding is that rock of eye places more emphasis on the fitting process relative to the other methods. The freehand method of drafting a formula is less "controlled," if you will, so it's necessary for the cutter to see how the first draft of the garment fits on the client, and then edit from there. With the other methods, the tailor is more likely to arrive at something reasonably controlled, and the image of what he's trying to strike in his head is more likely to overlap with what the fitter might have in his head. I don't believe that's so with rock of eye.

Both Rock of eye and block pattern manipulation obviously comes before any fittings (on the first suit) and the value of the fittings has nothing to do with how the pattern was drafted but with how well it fits and how hard someone wants to try.

Rock of eye just means that you remember what the basic ratios are for what goes where. You supply the block pattern from your memory.

People seem to recoil at the idea that something starts as a block pattern because they tend to forget that people come in more or less standard configurations - same number of arms in the same place, etc.

As ET pointed out, drawing directly onto the cloth is a sales technique and as Ed mentioned, the proof is always in the pudding. There are enough stories that start with block patterns and end happily.
post #77 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macallan View Post

If the $800 suit is a better fit then the $4k bespoke suit, then fine; however, to compare a bog-standard rtw suit to a proper bespoke suit is silly. The person has properly never seen a proper bespoke in the flesh, let-alone own a bespoke suit.
I do disagree with Dave's opinion about so-called losers, just because a suit costs $800 does not mean it is a bad suit.

It means that the buyer either got ripped off or got a steal.
post #78 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxgenius View Post

It means that the buyer either got ripped off or got a steal.

someone got short shrift either way.
post #79 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe4u View Post

I don't think I would want to buy a $4,000 suit to wear just for the office or oother events. The truth is, if given a choice to buy a bespoke suit for $4,000 and a suit in retail for $800..people will hands down choose the lesser priced suit..lesser price BUT of similar quality as a fine bespoke suit.

If some people feel comfortable wearing an $800 suit then that is their choice. As the old saying goes, “ you get what you pay for” . This can be said for any product you purchase.  If you can afford the very best, isn’t life to short not to enjoy the simple pleasures in life like the feel of a perfectly fitted Bespoke suit. The confidence when you walk into a room just says,  look at me I look good. If you look good, you feel good.

 

As one of those tailors who work on his own and produces those 2  Bespoke suits a month that actually does take 80 hours that everyone talks about, I speak for myself when I say that I chose this profession because of the love of the craft not because of the riches it brings. Tailoring is an art and  even though I will never become rich the richness comes from the people I meet and the satisfaction of making my customer happy. For those of you who can afford a Bespoke suit, I urge you to purchase at least one in your lifetime and to support your local tailors. You will be happy you did this for yourself.  

 

Rudolf Popradi

Master Bespoke Tailor  

post #80 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post

If some people feel comfortable wearing an $800 suit then that is their choice. As the old saying goes, “ you get what you pay for” . This can be said for any product you purchase.  If you can afford the very best, isn’t life to short not to enjoy the simple pleasures in life like the feel of a perfectly fitted Bespoke suit. The confidence when you walk into a room just says,  look at me I look good. If you look good, you feel good.

As one of those tailors who work on his own and produces those 2  Bespoke suits a month that actually does take 80 hours that everyone talks about, I speak for myself when I say that I chose this profession because of the love of the craft not because of the riches it brings. Tailoring is an art and  even though I will never become rich the richness comes from the people I meet and the satisfaction of making my customer happy. For those of you who can afford a Bespoke suit, I urge you to purchase at least one in your lifetime and to support your local tailors. You will be happy you did this for yourself.  

Rudolf Popradi
Master Bespoke Tailor  
Well, you say The confidence when you walk into a room just says,  look at me I look good .. this is assuming the gentlemen actually looks good. Because to be honest, a bespoke suit will not hide the fact that you are so out of shape, you need to take a breath to put your socks on, or you have no Idea how to style your hair, or if your smile looks like a train wreck. The truth of the matter is, a Bespoke suit is a piece of the man, so are the shoes, the socks, the haircut, a proper shave, eating right and staying in shape, confidence, so that $4000 suit looks great... If you believe a $4000 suit is the only thing making you look good, you probably don't look good.

But for me, there is nothing better than a quality suit..
post #81 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post

If some people feel comfortable wearing an $800 suit then that is their choice. As the old saying goes, “ you get what you pay for” . This can be said for any product you purchase.  If you can afford the very best, isn’t life to short not to enjoy the simple pleasures in life like the feel of a perfectly fitted Bespoke suit. The confidence when you walk into a room just says,  look at me I look good. If you look good, you feel good.

When you enter a room full of modern-day "business casuals", you can wear a $200 suit and still say look at me I look good.
post #82 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post

Only losers would buy $800 suits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxgenius View Post

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackToothedGrin View Post

I like this guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post

+2

Only a loser judges another man as a loser based on the price of his suit.

This is true whether the suit cost $800 or less, $4,000 or more, or anything in between.
post #83 of 123
A douchebag is still a douchebag, whether he wears a <$800 suit or a >$4k one.
post #84 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegantly Wasted View Post


When you enter a room full of modern-day "business casuals", you can wear a $200 suit and still say look at me I look good.

 

Only to them.

post #85 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptym View Post


Only a loser judges another man as a loser based on the price of his suit.
This is true whether the suit cost $800 or less, $4,000 or more, or anything in between.


I'm not sure, but I think the reason for the disdain of the $800 suit is that the price is in some dead zone between a decent price for RTW and MTM/bespoke.

 

Edit: Though I am sure some of the +1 were because it is simply too cheap.

post #86 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post


I'm not sure, but I think the reason for the disdain of the $800 suit is that the price is in some dead zone between a decent price for RTW and MTM/bespoke.

Edit: Though I am sure some of the +1 were because it is simply too cheap.

Disagree.
post #87 of 123
Interesting article, his approach does represent one segment of the business. Those that do little to no advertising and prefer to do 100% of the work.
post #88 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by suitupshop View Post

Well, you say The confidence when you walk into a room just says,  look at me I look good .. this is assuming the gentlemen actually looks good. Because to be honest, a bespoke suit will not hide the fact that you are so out of shape, you need to take a breath to put your socks on, or you have no Idea how to style your hair, or if your smile looks like a train wreck. The truth of the matter is, a Bespoke suit is a piece of the man, so are the shoes, the socks, the haircut, a proper shave, eating right and staying in shape, confidence, so that $4000 suit looks great... If you believe a $4000 suit is the only thing making you look good, you probably don't look good.
But for me, there is nothing better than a quality suit..

A good bespoke suit can help camouflage some of our imperfections. Looking good is relative. If a man looks in the mirror and is pleased with what he sees he feels good about himself. Confidence comes from internal and not from how others judge us. I had one client who was very overweight and balding and the first time he put on one of my suits he told me, that he felt great and he had the confidence to take on the world. After that he lost 60 pounds and started to take care of himself. So yes,  not all of us are good looking, but we can still put on a beautiful suit and feel good about ourselves

 

Rudolf Popradi

Master Bespoke Tailor and fashion consultant 

post #89 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post

A good bespoke suit can help camouflage some of our imperfections. Looking good is relative. If a man looks in the mirror and is pleased with what he sees he feels good about himself. Confidence comes from internal and not from how others judge us. I had one client who was very overweight and balding and the first time he put on one of my suits he told me, that he felt great and he had the confidence to take on the world. After that he lost 60 pounds and started to take care of himself. So yes,  not all of us are good looking, but we can still put on a beautiful suit and feel good about ourselves

Rudolf Popradi
Master Bespoke Tailor and fashion consultant 
Good for him, I have lost 40 lbs over the last 6 mos.. and am not finished. I have changed my life, found a new passion for all things mens style, and am passing this on to my kids. Looking good is not just material as you say.

And after 60 lbs. I am sure you needed to get him a few more suits.. +1 for both..

With much love to your skill, I can only envy you as I cant sew a suit myself.
post #90 of 123
This was an interesting article, I enjoyed the details.

I would say though, that the question "how can an artisan scale up" is not only poorly framed, it is an oximoron --> the only way for an artisan to scale up is... to stop being an artisan and begin to mass produce/standardise sam or all aspects of the product. Anything other than that simply means basically "cloning" the guy and having a bigger crowd doing the same thing. However, the output will not change proportionately.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What’s a $4,000 Suit Worth?