or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › I found the Laptop [PLEASE DELETE]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I found the Laptop [PLEASE DELETE]

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 

Alright, so being in the market for a new PC laptop I already have a Mac and using Parrallels/dualboot is getting old.  In my field I use a lot of demanding software so I need a powerful laptop.  My budget is around 2,800.  Design is a HUGE factor for me.  After some poking around I can't seem to find anything better than this: 

 

Razer Blade $2,500

Processor

 

    Future platform with 3rd Generation
    Intel® Core™ Processor (This will be at least 2.8 i7 or faster)


Chipset

 

    Intel® HM77 Express Chipset


Memory

 

    8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz


Storage

 

    500GB 7200RPM HDD (Primary Storage)
    64GB SATA III SSD with NVELO
    Dataplex™ Software
    (Cache Acceleration)

Graphics and Video

 

    Integrated Intel® GMA HD – Mobile Mode
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M 2GB GDDR5
    VRAM with NVIDIA Optimus™ Technology


Display

 

    17.3” Full HD 16:9 Ratio, 1920x1080
    LED Backlit


Additional Features

 

    Razer™ Switchblade User Interface
    Razer™ Anti-Ghosting Keyboard
    Razer™ Synapse 2.0 Enabled
    Built-in HD Webcam (2.0MP)
    Built-in Speakers
    Integrated Digital 7.1 Surround Audio Support
    (via HDMI 1.4) Dolby® Home Theater® v4
     Audio
    1x HDMI 1.4 Audio and Video Output
     3x USB 3.0
    1x 3.5mm Audio Microphone/Headphone
    Combo Jack
    1x Kensington Lock

Power

 

    Integrated 60Wh Battery
    Compact AC Adapter (120Watt)


Communications

 

    1x Gigabit Ethernet Port
    1x Integrated Intel Wi-Fi 802.11 A/G/N
    1x Integrated Bluetooth® 4.0


Size and Weight

 

    Width: 16.81 inches (42.7cm)
    Depth: 10.90 inches (27.7cm)
    Height: 0.88 inches (2.24cm)
    Weight: 6.6 pounds (2.99kg)


My

Problems as far as I can see is that it only has 8gigs of ram that's easily upgradable, probably will buy 16gigs Corsair Vengance...


Edited by smashwindow - 9/6/12 at 4:38pm
post #2 of 35
That is one overpowered laptop. Having said that I can't think of a better one for the price. What on earth do you do that requires that much mobile power, launch satellites from an aircraft carrier?
post #3 of 35
Thread Starter 

close, 3d rendering software... solidworks, autodesk axis, rhino, 3dsmax

post #4 of 35
made this is with less than a gigahertz

dancer_GIF.gif
post #5 of 35

You said design is a huge factor for you:  Can you elaborate on that a little bit?  There are laptops out there that give similar or better performance for less coin, but the design of a laptop is much more subjective...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashwindow View Post

Alright, so being in the market for a new PC laptop I already have a Mac and using Parrallels/dualboot is getting old.  In my field I use a lot of demanding software so I need a powerful laptop.  My budget is around 2,800.  Design is a HUGE factor for me.  After some poking around I can't seem to find anything better than this: 

 

Razer Blade $2,500

Processor

 

    Future platform with 3rd Generation
    Intel® Core™ Processor (This will be at least 2.8 i7 or faster)


Chipset

 

    Intel® HM77 Express Chipset


Memory

 

    8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz


Storage

 

    500GB 7200RPM HDD (Primary Storage)
    64GB SATA III SSD with NVELO
    Dataplex™ Software
    (Cache Acceleration)

Graphics and Video

 

    Integrated Intel® GMA HD – Mobile Mode
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M 2GB GDDR5
    VRAM with NVIDIA Optimus™ Technology


Display

 

    17.3” Full HD 16:9 Ratio, 1920x1080
    LED Backlit


Additional Features

 

    Razer™ Switchblade User Interface
    Razer™ Anti-Ghosting Keyboard
    Razer™ Synapse 2.0 Enabled
    Built-in HD Webcam (2.0MP)
    Built-in Speakers
    Integrated Digital 7.1 Surround Audio Support
    (via HDMI 1.4) Dolby® Home Theater® v4
     Audio
    1x HDMI 1.4 Audio and Video Output
     3x USB 3.0
    1x 3.5mm Audio Microphone/Headphone
    Combo Jack
    1x Kensington Lock

Power

 

    Integrated 60Wh Battery
    Compact AC Adapter (120Watt)


Communications

 

    1x Gigabit Ethernet Port
    1x Integrated Intel Wi-Fi 802.11 A/G/N
    1x Integrated Bluetooth® 4.0


Size and Weight

 

    Width: 16.81 inches (42.7cm)
    Depth: 10.90 inches (27.7cm)
    Height: 0.88 inches (2.24cm)
    Weight: 6.6 pounds (2.99kg)


My

Problems as far as I can see is that it only has 8gigs of ram that's easily upgradable, probably will buy 16gigs Corsair Vengance...

 

post #6 of 35
You would get a whole lot more bang for your buck by just buying the same spec desktop and a 24" HD screen. Maybe save $900 you could put towards ... Anything.

My developers have found that having dual screens that have more real estate was more advantageous than the mobility of a laptop. Just something to consider.

That's a beast of a laptop, and I'm not sure that many brands will be all that different at the top end. Cutting edge is cutting edge, no matter what logo is stuck to the lid.
post #7 of 35
If you're into that type of stuff, you could also get an Alienware.


I don't get why you would want to do rendering and stuff with it. I mean, I'm sure the battery is empty after a couple minutes. 3kg and 17" seems the opposite of portability. Glare? And just a 64GB SSD, lol.
post #8 of 35
Alienware would be even more expensive, and it would be made from Dell components.

That battery should hold up for a couple of hours at least, more with decent power management software running. The SSD doesn't need to be much bigger, as it will only store the OS and one or two select programs. Everything else would go onto the larger drive. I would be tempted to make that larger drive into a 1TB drive, but I wouldn't waste money on a larger SSD.
post #9 of 35
OP has more than one or two important (big) programs. 64 is tiny. And unacceptable for a gamer notebook that's 2500$.
post #10 of 35
Nah. Razor is better than Alienware. And really the ssd should be for applications and programs only. You don't really need 64gb worth of ssd

The new razor blade sounds awesome. The mousepad is a very clever idea. I personally hate the green highlights but thats about my only criticism. The anantech review made it sound awesome. Ignore the haterism. It's a sf disease.
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post

That battery should hold up for a couple of hours at least, more with decent power management software running.
Quote:
Alas, if you were planning on a sojourn sans charger, you'll be out of luck. Even with casual use and exercising brightness restraint, we were only able to coax just shy of three and a half hours of work out of its 60Wh battery -- dwindling down to around three with full brightness. For those daring to game on the go, unlike other laptops which'll significantly pare down their performance, the Blade will cheerfully run at full throttle for about an hour before simmering down.

@indesertum: <64GB? Jeez. Definitely the best way to save 75$ in a 2500$ notebook, right...

Anyway, it looks decent (ignoring the "1337" Razor branding). Non-glare, which is a must. The only problem I would have is the price (Razor markup) and fanboi image. But more importantly, like I tried to convey and others did as well, I'm just not sure whether OP is on the right track by getting a notebook.

Also, from the anandtech review:
Quote:
The character of the noise is rather obnoxious and grating, with a higher pitched grinding whir even at minimum RPMs. What's more, if both fans come on, you often get a harmonic resonance that makes the perceived noise even worse, at least to my ears. [...] Once we start to put moderate loads on the system, the fans start becoming louder and increasingly annoying. [...] After several minutes looping Cinebench 11.5 with Furmark, the maximum noise output registered 46.5dB, which is quite possibly one of the highest results I've seen from a notebook in the past four years!
Quote:
Temperatures from the system are equally unimpressive. Starting with our HWmonitor results, the internal temperatures on both the CPU and GPU can get very high. Actually, the CPU is worse off than the GPU, as we hit 95C on the cores compared to "only" 79C on the GT 555M

And I think you haven't noticed OP's need for performance and actually read the review you refer to...
Quote:
If it comes down to performance versus price, you will be happier spending your $2800 on an M18x or two ASUS G74s.

Of course, all but the first quoted negative aspect could very well be "fixed" in the new release. Could. I don't know whether they are. Do you?
Edited by b1os - 9/5/12 at 8:57am
post #12 of 35
that is the old review. the new one supposedly has been fixed on a lot of those issues. there aren't any hands on reviews yet as its not out, but we'll see. i dont think you can critique a system that isn't out yet based on an old review

i personally still wouldnt go with alienware. overpriced and looks like shit.

also we're not comparing 64gb to more, but two different systems one of which has 64gb another which has more. you can't really say we're saving $75 when we're comparing two different systems




do you really NEED 64gb of SSD space when you already have a built in hard drive?

i dont honestly see how you can have 64gb of just programs and applications



i dont see what we're arguing about. it's not like either of us are the ones buying it
post #13 of 35
Well, Windows alone should have like 30GB. If you play any games or have any larger programs and do like the time boost, you easily go with 10-15GB/game nowadays (and this is supposed to be a gamer's notebook!). Moreover, in case you sometimes have a big temp folder (like extracting stuff), it can easily -- for a given time -- add a good amount of gigs -- yeah, you can "outsource" it, and it's better for the SSD's longevity, but I'm lazy. Plus you should leave at least 10% of the SSD unwritten (or is this outdated?). And really, 128GB are like 90€ nowadays. I paid 150€ a year ago (or so)... shouldn't be a limiting factor whatsoever for a gamer's notebook.

Anyway, get a desktop PC and do your rendering and stuff there. Higher performance, much better value, your own hardware, bigger monitors with probably >1080p. You could even easily get a 64GB ramdisk in your budget (not sure how complex your renderings are w/r/t textures and stuff) satisfied.gif. If you just need a portable device for non-rendering things, get an older Thinkpad (T-Series).
post #14 of 35
huh i suppose. i guess you could add your own ssd? im not sure if thats possible with the thin form factor. but i really like what they've done with the laptop. im surprised something like this (replacing the number pad with a programmable trackpad) hasn't been dont before (has it?)

and it is true 64gb have slower access (I think?) and the more you fill it up the worse the performance gets.
post #15 of 35
Yep (well, they're less fast in writing). So another reason pro... wink.gif

(Look at: sequential write, 4 KB random write)



Of course, the access time is the most critical part, but still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

that is the old review. the new one supposedly has been fixed on a lot of those issues. there aren't any hands on reviews yet as its not out, but we'll see. i dont think you can critique a system that isn't out yet based on an old review
i personally still wouldnt go with alienware. overpriced and looks like shit.
Just saw that you've edited the post. Of course, I can't critique a system that's not out yet. But can you? It's a fact that these issues were present in the past version, so I have to assume that they still are. (and seriously, Alienware is overpriced but this here isn't? wink.gif)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › I found the Laptop [PLEASE DELETE]