or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › What career do you wish you had pursued?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What career do you wish you had pursued? - Page 8

post #106 of 175

Yes.

Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have followed a professional career for many years. I've recently transformed myself into a skinhead and have started immersing myself in the skinhead scene.

I know this isn't a career option but living your life true to yourself is worth so much. If I had been a skinhead years ago I probably would have  enjoyed all that time in a blue collar job and been happy. Now I'm happy having the shit kicked out of me every Friday night - great times.

post #107 of 175
U WOT M8?
post #108 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankinaug View Post

I spent 2 years in law enforcement before leaving for the finance world. I am actually still a reserve police officer and LOVE the work but I just can't make the type of $ that I want to make in law enforcement. I made my yearly LEO salary in 3 months in finace (factoring in bonus/commissions).

not even as a corrupt cop?
post #109 of 175

I'm generally content where I am now but I wish that I did a more business related degree or courses (esp business law) when I was younger.

post #110 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post

detective, hunting down bad guys

I often think I would be a good homicide detective, but I would have to spend a few years as a regular cop writing tickets and busting potheads and I just couldn't do it. Plus I like making money too much.

You could go into the FBI directly with your law degree (of course you'd still start out making $50K a year and slowly work your way back up)
post #111 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

Maybe, but there's a lot of insincere humble-bragging in here.

What do you mean?

I'm an M.D./Ph.D./D.Sc. but sometimes I think I should've taken that Navy SEAL slot they offered me. Or that modeling contract.
post #112 of 175
Well I wish I was a Navy SEAL but my fear of heights and open water got in the way. Plus I am not in very good shape.
post #113 of 175

I joined the Army Reserve a few years ago when my wife became chronically ill and we got dropped from our medical coverage. I was 38. I wish to hell I'd done it when I was 20. I'm really good at it, I love my unit and my MOS, it keeps me in far better shape than most guys my age, and the benefits are tremendous. Most of all, if I'd done it at 20 I'd be working on my Ph.D for free while drawing a pension right now. Hell, if I'd done it at 20 I'd probably be working at the Pentagon right now.

 

I'm retired from the civilian world and my finances are solid, but if I'd known I'd be this good at it and enjoy it this much, I'd do it all differently in a heartbeat.

post #114 of 175

I wish I would have pursued a career in finance.  Instead, I went the engineering route and have ended up OK, but the finance people make all the money and I'm shallow and want to make a lot of money. 

post #115 of 175

Surgery, without a doubt.

 

I first wanted to be a surgeon when i was 10. I'm now 27.

 

My dad was probably the main reason for me not pursuing it, that and i didn't know (at that age/time) how to go about being a surgeon. It was a bit like wanting to be an astronaut; a pipe dream.

 

I'm dabbling with the idea of (someday) going back to studying to be an architect, but i don't know when or how to go about doing it. Plus i don't really have the balls to go back to studying right now.

 

There's just something about structure, pattern and attention to detail that fascinates me...
 

post #116 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by qerb View Post

Surgery, without a doubt.

I first wanted to be a surgeon when i was 10. I'm now 27.

My dad was probably the main reason for me not pursuing it, that and i didn't know (at that age/time) how to go about being a surgeon. It was a bit like wanting to be an astronaut; a pipe dream.

I'm dabbling with the idea of (someday) going back to studying to be an architect, but i don't know when or how to go about doing it. Plus i don't really have the balls to go back to studying right now.

There's just something about structure, pattern and attention to detail that fascinates me...

 

Is it really that hard to figure out, even when you're young? You go to med school, and people tell you how to go from there. Med schools will give you opportunities to experience a bunch of different disciplines- my Dad nearly went into neurosurgery, it was between that and pediatrics.
post #117 of 175
I don't know if its a caeer that I would've went into but I look back and wished I went to culinary school or learned more about wine.
post #118 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarphe View Post

not even as a corrupt cop?

They always get caught at the end.
post #119 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDiorDenimFlow View Post

I wish I would have pursued a career in finance.  Instead, I went the engineering route and have ended up OK, but the finance people make all the money and I'm shallow and want to make a lot of money. 

And there's nothing wrong with that.
post #120 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post

What do you mean?

I'm an M.D./Ph.D./D.Sc. but sometimes I think I should've taken that Navy SEAL slot they offered me. Or that modeling contract.

Or marry that royal princess... shog[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › What career do you wish you had pursued?