or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Official 2012 College Football Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2012 College Football Season Thread - Page 39

post #571 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

Ohio State has won three non-conference games outside of Ohio in the last decade.
2007: W @ 7-5 Washington
2006: W @ 8-3 Texas
2005: W @ 7-5 NC State
The winningest SEC team over the past decade is LSU, who won six non-conference games outside of Louisiana in the same time period. That's twice as many games.

OK - so one team vs. one team LSU is better over the past 10 years. LSU also beat the crap out of OSU in a NC game.

Turns out, historically, OSU has 6 national titles, and LSU has 3.... in the last 10 years, the SEC is very dominant, especially at the top. I have never disputed this.

Meanwhile, at least 2 of those six were in texas (Michigan and Oregon), 2007 WV was an okay road win, @Tulane is not even an FBS school, ASU had 5 losses in 2005, 2003 Arizona is another mediocre minus team, and they lost a road game to Va Tech the year before.

If you get to count road wins @ Tulane, I'll take the 2 road wins against Cincinnati.

What else ya got?
post #572 of 861
It's much easier to win games when there is no pressure for you to win them. Had Ohio State been bowl eligible, they would have faced far more pressure to not lose. Their undefeated season is completely irrelevant in comparison to Notre Dame, who actually had to play for something.
post #573 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

It's much easier to win games when there is no pressure for you to win them. Had Ohio State been bowl eligible, they would have faced far more pressure to not lose. Their undefeated season is completely irrelevant in comparison to Notre Dame, who actually had to play for something.

OK... didn't really say otherwise, did I?

In fact, I think I've said (maybe not hear, but publicly) that I'm relieved we are not going to get crushed in a bowl game we don't deserve to be in for beating the shit out of a conference that's having a shit year.
post #574 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

OK - so one team vs. one team LSU is better over the past 10 years. LSU also beat the crap out of OSU in a NC game.
Turns out, historically, OSU has 6 national titles, and LSU has 3.... in the last 10 years, the SEC is very dominant, especially at the top. I have never disputed this.
Meanwhile, at least 2 of those six were in texas (Michigan and Oregon), 2007 WV was an okay road win, @Tulane is not even an FBS school, ASU had 5 losses in 2005, 2003 Arizona is another mediocre minus team, and they lost a road game to Va Tech the year before.
What else ya got?

Ohio State schedules far shittier than the teams you're accusing of shitty scheduling. Those teams are also dominating in a way Ohio State isn't. Just stop. You look silly.
post #575 of 861
BTW - you know I also have a degree from UGA, right?
post #576 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

OK... didn't really say otherwise, did I?
In fact, I think I've said (maybe not hear, but publicly) that I'm relieved we are not going to get crushed in a bowl game we don't deserve to be in for beating the shit out of a conference that's having a shit year.

The other guy tried comparing OSU favorably to Notre Dame. It's a foolish proposition.
post #577 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

BTW - you know I also have a degree from UGA, right?

That doesn't have anything to do with Ohio's shitty scheduling and the Big Ten's inferiority.
post #578 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

Ohio State schedules far shittier than the teams you're accusing of shitty scheduling. Those teams are also dominating in a way Ohio State isn't. Just stop. You look silly.

This is just not fact.

ALL D1 schools do their part to fund-raise for local schools. I'm not asking the SEC teams to give up the Louisiana-Monroe, Eastern-KY games any more than I am OSU to stop playing Miami of Ohio, Toledo, and Cinti.

And, I haven't seen Kentucky, Vandy, or Ole Miss dominate anyone. Stop trying to make the debate something it isn't... the TOP of the SEC is better than the top of every other conference over the past 15 years. The middle/bottom is not.
post #579 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

That doesn't have anything to do with Ohio's shitty scheduling and the Big Ten's inferiority.

No - just means I don't have it in for the SEC. I think it's a great conference with great tradition.
post #580 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

The other guy tried comparing OSU favorably to Notre Dame. It's a foolish proposition.

what I meant was that had tOSU been eligible they would have played ND and had a legit (even likely) chance of winning.... considering Alabama, Georgia, Florida and recent history I would not be so confident and am loath to admit they would most likely lose such a game. that's all.
post #581 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

This is just not fact.
ALL D1 schools do their part to fund-raise for local schools. I'm not asking the SEC teams to give up the Louisiana-Monroe, Eastern-KY games any more than I am OSU to stop playing Miami of Ohio, Toledo, and Cinti.
And, I haven't seen Kentucky, Vandy, or Ole Miss dominate anyone. Stop trying to make the debate something it isn't... the TOP of the SEC is better than the top of every other conference over the past 15 years. The middle/bottom is not.

For fuck sake. Ole Miss has won three Cotton Bowls in the past decade. The Cotton Bowl is the 5th best bowl. Ole Miss is 9-1 in their last ten bowl games. 9-1!!!!! Which 9th best team from another conference has done something equally impressive?
post #582 of 861
that's a legit point SH... I'm interested to know as well... lurker[1].gif
post #583 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

that's a legit point SH... I'm interested to know as well... lurker[1].gif

well - to find 9 bowl games Ole Miss has played in, you need to go back to 1992 - but the point that they do very well when they are in bowls is fact - 4/5 wins in the last decade and over .600 win %.

OSU is just under .500 in bowl games, and has never beaten an SEC team EVER if you don't count the forfeited Arkansas game.

So - yes - when a team has a good year and manages to be at the top of the SEC (which you need to do to go to the cotton bowl), they should be dominant. It's a good example - nothing really to argue there.

Still don't think a 2 or 3-loss SEC team is a top 10 team... but I'll let it go.
post #584 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

Still don't think a 2 or 3-loss SEC team is a top 10 team... but I'll let it go.

Okay, so who would you put ahead of Texas A&M, LSU and South Carolina in the top 10, who all have two losses?

Those three teams have beat the following:

#2 Alabama
#3 Florida
#5 Georgia
#9 South Carolina
#8 Texas A&M
#11 Clemson
#15 Mississippi State

Nebraska? Their best win is against 8-4 Michigan.
Oklahoma? Their best win is 8-3 Texas.
Florida State? See last Saturday.
Clemson? See last Saturday.
Oregon State? 3 losses. Their best win is 7-5 Wisconsin.
post #585 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

Actually, the SEC is the only FBS conference that plays most of their non-conference games later.
Bama played W Carolina in mid-november this year.
Arkansas played Tulsa in November
Auburn had two d2 non-conference games in November
Florida finished its conference schedule on 11/3
UGA 2 non-conference games in nov
are you looking at these teams?
So - Bama absolutely CRUSHED the scUM on a neutral field in the south. LSU traveled to Washington to take on the dregs of the PAC10, and a few teams (Florida, SC) have legit rivalry weekend games out of conference.
Every other non-conference opponent is a BAD team even in D2/non-FBS world.

FWIW, this season's scheduling for the SEC was thrown into complete disarray due to expansion, so this isn't the strongest argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

OK - so one team vs. one team LSU is better over the past 10 years. LSU also beat the crap out of OSU in a NC game.
Turns out, historically, OSU has 6 national titles, and LSU has 3.... in the last 10 years, the SEC is very dominant, especially at the top. I have never disputed this.
Meanwhile, at least 2 of those six were in texas (Michigan and Oregon), 2007 WV was an okay road win, @Tulane is not even an FBS school, ASU had 5 losses in 2005, 2003 Arizona is another mediocre minus team, and they lost a road game to Va Tech the year before.
If you get to count road wins @ Tulane, I'll take the 2 road wins against Cincinnati.
What else ya got?

Teams scheduling difficult OOC games isn't unique to the SEC and you're citing exceptions more than the rule, (I mean, Oklahoma and FSU played Savannah State on consecutive weekends, Houston played the juggernaut of D-IAA GSU last year.... and let's not forget that one time Michigan scheduled the easy-beat of Appalachian State or when VT played James Madison etc. etc. etc)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Official 2012 College Football Season Thread