or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Official 2012 College Football Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2012 College Football Season Thread - Page 19

post #271 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundletaint View Post


He's a great coach because you can plug and play pretty much anyone on the field and odds are damn good they'll still win the game. His players respect him and his program, generally behave themselves off the field (unlike the Chiz who has players publicly biatching about leadership and a wife who's spouting off about satan on Facebook), and show up to do their jobs regardless of personal opinion. They are proven to be prepared for life after the NCAA and don't collapse immediately like just about any player who's come out of Mack's program.
He doesn't rely on one player to carry the game and those coaches who do are less than adequate because the entire idea of coaching is that you create and sustain a team, not a supporting cast for one player who happens to play at an extremely high level and has a team who falls apart should something happen to them (Cam, Manning's Colts, etc). I wouldn't call Cam or Colt "gimmicky" (a term much better suited for a Tebow type) but their coaches had lucklaster programs both before and after them (well, Vince and Colt for Mack). Hell, Mack Brown kept vince on the bench in favor of Chance Effing Mock after Vince had already proven his skill on the field. He's like Jerry Jones actually being a coach rather than pulling his coach's strings.
When you have as much talent and the world class resources Chizik and Mack Brown have, you should be a 1-2 loss team at most. Consistently. If you lose more than that, you aren't a good coach and you lose to teams like Ole Miss and Iowa.

+1.  I don't even need to respond because you hit the nail on the head.

post #272 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

Coker won with Davis's players, and then failed to repeat the next year with a stacked team against a Buckeye squad that was -1400 in vegas on the money line (I was at that game, and a good friend made that bet for a shit-ton of money).
Well in Coker's defense, the horrendous PI call cost Miami the game at the end. I've always wondered if that ref had money on Ohio State.
post #273 of 861
Drives my Longhorn wife nuts, but I've said for years that the only reason UT won that national title was Vince Young. Mack Brown didn't do jack shit for it. Young forced the team to win. Brown just coaches not to lose, and unless you've got amazing, next level type players, that's just gonna make you 10-2 and a favorite to win the Independence Bowl. Brown consistently had the best talent and top level recruiting classes when he was at UNC, yet he never once won the ACC. And that was back in the days when it was a 9 member basketball oriented conference...
post #274 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundletaint View Post

They are proven to be prepared for life after the NCAA and don't collapse immediately like just about any player who's come out of Mack's program.

Give Mack some credit. He has produced a lot of good NFL players out of Texas. It's just that his highest profile player, VY, turned out to be a mental midget. A lot of his other players have had solid pro careers compared to where they were drafted. Saban has had his share of washouts with Mark Ingram looking to be his biggest one. It's just none have been as big as Vince.
post #275 of 861

The more I watch ESPN the more I realize they are just groupies.  They were all over West Virginia and Geno Smith's dick and now that they have lost it's like they are irrelevant.  They are now slobbing all over Marcus Mariota and Oregon.  

post #276 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

Well in Coker's defense, the horrendous PI call cost Miami the game at the end. I've always wondered if that ref had money on Ohio State.

The timing was bad - the call was not that awful... and there were a ton of other bad calls. Games rarely come down to just one play... there were more than 60 other minutes of football during which the refs gave a few to the U. Just seems more obvious when it happens on a play that could be the last one of the game.
post #277 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsmith4 View Post

The more I watch ESPN the more I realize they are just groupies.  They were all over West Virginia and Geno Smith's dick and now that they have lost it's like they are irrelevant.  They are now slobbing all over Marcus Mariota and Oregon.  

They're just following story lines.
post #278 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post

They're just creating story lines.

FTFY
post #279 of 861
^ how is giving a team/player which is undefeated and putting up ungodly numbers a lot of press creating a story line? Is it only a legit storyline if the team has a storied history?
post #280 of 861
Thread Starter 
Whether one believes there's a bias at ESPN or not, it's pretty rich to see an SEC fan, especially an Alabama fan, complaining about it.
post #281 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Whether one believes there's a bias at ESPN or not, it's pretty rich to see an SEC fan, especially an Alabama fan, complaining about it.

Exactly why he went on ignore. He's insufferable and not in the way that fans of dominant teams can be insufferable, he was just an ignorant, uncritical, boring hack parroting any cliche he can find.

So one of the things I thought about on the drive into work this AM and couldn't remember why is... how did Miami get so bad so quickly? I'm sure there had to be a scandal or was it just the culmination of a lawless program finally playing itself out?
post #282 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Exactly why he went on ignore. He's insufferable and not in the way that fans of dominant teams can be insufferable, he was just an ignorant, uncritical, boring hack parroting any cliche he can find.
So one of the things I thought about on the drive into work this AM and couldn't remember why is... how did Miami get so bad so quickly? I'm sure there had to be a scandal or was it just the culmination of a lawless program finally playing itself out?

There was a huge scandal, although the penalty was much less severe than it could have been...
post #283 of 861
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Exactly why he went on ignore. He's insufferable and not in the way that fans of dominant teams can be insufferable, he was just an ignorant, uncritical, boring hack parroting any cliche he can find.
So one of the things I thought about on the drive into work this AM and couldn't remember why is... how did Miami get so bad so quickly? I'm sure there had to be a scandal or was it just the culmination of a lawless program finally playing itself out?

Yeah, there is something particularly grating about his obsession with Alabama.

It seems like you're forgetting the Shapiro scandal Ron mentioned. However, even in light of that, it does seem like they've face planted pretty dramatically.

Good to see you around again, by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

There was a huge scandal, although the penalty was much less severe than it could have been...

They haven't been punished yet, have they? I thought that wasn't going to happen until next year sometime.
post #284 of 861
I don't really follow Maimi's recruiting, but to me, a west coaster, it seems like USF has gotten a lot better (I know who they are now) at the same time Miami has gotten worse. Is the talent pool in florida being spread thin?
post #285 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Yeah, there is something particularly grating about his obsession with Alabama.
It seems like you're forgetting the Shapiro scandal Ron mentioned. However, even in light of that, it does seem like they've face planted pretty dramatically.
Good to see you around again, by the way.
They haven't been punished yet, have they? I thought that wasn't going to happen until next year sometime.

I remember the Shapiro one but since like 03/4 they've been bad.

Probably going back to lurking now.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Official 2012 College Football Season Thread