or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasons why New York Sucks - Page 600

post #8986 of 11479
Thread Starter 
fok is always raving about Mission Chinese, but what the hell does he know about Chinese food anway
post #8987 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

Get the mutton chop at Keene's. Seriously.

yep, quite enjoyable. though i did leave wondering how good the steak is.
post #8988 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

I've been meaning to try out Red Farm for a while now... Need to make it down soon.

New Mission is pretty good. Don't go expected traditional stuff, keep an open mind and enjoy the ride.

Will be taking my dad to Keen's Chophouse (Steakhouse now, I guess) for his birthday dinner on Wednesday. I had Luger's a the weekend before last, so it will be good to finally compare the two close together like that. FYI, I was not that impressed by Luger's.

Also the Taconic is a fucking mess. The road is like a goddamn washboard. I spent the weekend upstate and loved every second of being out of the city for a while.

Best Steakhouse in the city Is a little gem called Destefano's in Williamsburg.
post #8989 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

Get the mutton chop at Keene's. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

yep, quite enjoyable. though i did leave wondering how good the steak is.

I went to Keen's years ago and tried a few bites of the Mutton Chop, which was ridiculously good, along with my porterhouse (also very good). I want to try the Chateaubriand this time around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Best Steakhouse in the city Is a little gem called Destefano's in Williamsburg.

Noted for future steak eating.
post #8990 of 11479
I've had a sous vide circulator for almost a week and I have eaten a steak almost every night. So fucking good. On par with some of the great steakhouses.
post #8991 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I've had a sous vide circulator for almost a week and I have eaten a steak almost every night. So fucking good. On par with some of the great steakhouses.

 

Didn't know this thing existed. Just looked it up. Amazing!

post #8992 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post


Dim Sum, which should be cheap, unhealthy, and delicious.

 

I kinda disagree with that, but I realize it is the prevalent notion of dim sum (and chinese food in general) in this country/city.   When I first had dim sum in Taipei & HK when I was a young 19 y-o invited by local Chinese families, it was still a bit chaotic but there was a lot more respect for the food and the meal than what one will experience in C-town.  You could actually identify all the elements in a dumpling bite, vs. the shrimpy porky mush that is the norm here now.    It scares the sh!t out of me to calculate the cost of the products you get in Chinatown - if they can sell that stuff for that price including rent, wages, overhead, margin, etc... then where the hell do they find those prawns and chicken at $0.0001 per pound...?

 

Anyhow, I really miss Chinatown Brasserie, which did a good job at using high quality ingredients in a nice enough setting with reasonably pleasant service.   It was not Chinatown cheap but it wasn't silly pricing like Hakkasan either.

post #8993 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I've had a sous vide circulator for almost a week and I have eaten a steak almost every night. So fucking good. On par with some of the great steakhouses.

been thinking of getting an anova for quite awhile.
post #8994 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

Dim Sum, which should be cheap, unhealthy, and delicious.

I kinda disagree with that, but I realize it is the prevalent notion of dim sum (and chinese food in general) in this country/city.  

yeah, it was an overarching statement, what I didn't intend for cheap to mean garbage (which, yes, in C-town a lot of it is), but cheap as in not $15 for mushroom spring rolls (which they are on that menu you posted).
post #8995 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

been thinking of getting an anova for quite awhile.

That's what I have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

yeah, it was an overarching statement, what I didn't intend for cheap to mean garbage (which, yes, in C-town a lot of it is), but cheap as in not $15 for mushroom spring rolls (which they are on that menu you posted).

M Noodle Shop is pretty great in the nabe. They deliver until 2am too. I have them on speed dial.
post #8996 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post

been thinking of getting an anova for quite awhile.

They are on sale today for $154 with free shipping with the promo code SPRING25
http://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker

I have one sitting in my cart...not sure if I want one right now. Just ordered a bunch of other food/cooking things that I haven't played with.
post #8997 of 11479
I have had the Anova in my Amazon cart for a couple of months now, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
post #8998 of 11479
I really liked Chinatown Brasserie.
post #8999 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpapa View Post

I really liked Chinatown Brasserie.

 

It really filled that void, didn't it.

post #9000 of 11479

I had dim sum in Flushing on Sunday. First time in Queens. Interesting place.

 

lefty

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks