or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasons why New York Sucks - Page 557

post #8341 of 11466
the problems of getting things delivered in NYC is well documented. A doorman can't make up for an incompetent delivery service.
post #8342 of 11466

UPS and FedEx have usually had an official policy of making 3 delivery attempts, after which they hold the package at a local facility for a certain period of time before returning to sender. These days, on the second (or in the FedEx case above, first) attempt, they simply leave the package in plain sight in a high-traffic area.

 

And yes, it would be great to live in a building with a doorman, but they are likely all far outside of my income bracket.

post #8343 of 11466
Quote:
Originally Posted by roquesoon View Post

UPS and FedEx have usually had an official policy of making 3 delivery attempts, after which they hold the package at a local facility for a certain period of time before returning to sender. These days, on the second (or in the FedEx case above, first) attempt, they simply leave the package in plain sight in a high-traffic area.

And yes, it would be great to live in a building with a doorman, but they are likely all far outside of my income bracket.

Where do you live?
post #8344 of 11466

Inwood/Wash Heights

post #8345 of 11466
Quote:
Originally Posted by roquesoon View Post

Inwood/Wash Heights

Go to your local bodega/cleaners/etc. Ask them if they can/will receive packages every now and then for you. If they know you by face, they should be ok with doing it.

Problem solved as long as you don't get furniture delivered.

Holiday time, hit them off with a bottle.
post #8346 of 11466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

Go to your local bodega/cleaners/etc. Ask them if they can/will receive packages every now and then for you. If they know you by face, they should be ok with doing it.

Problem solved as long as you don't get furniture delivered.

Holiday time, hit them off with a bottle.

My dry cleaner does this for people.
post #8347 of 11466

Have it sent to your workplace (my current employer doesn't allow this, though :censored:)

 

 

Also, the "local" facilities for UPS/Fedex aren't always local. For me, the UPS one is held at a place in Maspeth unless I have an account with UPS and request them to send it to a closer UPS location. For Fedex, all of my stuff goes to either a place in Astoria or in Forest Hills.

 

I don't live in Queens, either.

post #8348 of 11466
Id do this if I wanted a package successfully delivered to me a month late.
post #8349 of 11466
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

My dry cleaner does this for people.

Exactly.
If one lives in Inwood/'Heights, I would guess you patronize some of these places daily. Just ask them.

Years ago, I ordered a Macbook for an ex GF for her birthday. FedEx/UPS(I can't remember) attempted delivery and then delivered it to the bodega on the corner. I had no arrangement with them but the woman upstairs did. I was actually worried that it got stolen...but when the woman came home from work, she dropped it off.
post #8350 of 11466
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

the problems of getting things delivered in NYC is well documented. A doorman can't make up for an incompetent delivery service.

Idunno man. I think they see a non-doorman building and if you don't answer they say fuck it. I had zero issues in my (doorman) building, including receiving 1 jillion wedding gifts.
post #8351 of 11466
Quote:
Originally Posted by roquesoon View Post

Try receiving a package at your apt. UPS delivers your things to your neighbors, USPS rarely leaves a delivery slip, and FedEx just leaves shit unattended at your doorstep. This time the latter was a Wilhelm Jungmann pocket square I received as a gift from a friend who visited Vienna recently. Thankfully I was able to nab the envelope before it was stolen.

Do you live/work close to a UPS Store? You can rent a box for the purpose of receiving packages. Not the cheapest solution (in DC, it's $30/month if you go in for a year), but might be worth it for the peace of mind if you are worried about packages being stolen from your apartment building.
post #8352 of 11466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

Do you live/work close to a UPS Store? You can rent a box for the purpose of receiving packages. Not the cheapest solution (in DC, it's $30/month if you go in for a year), but might be worth it for the peace of mind if you are worried about packages being stolen from your apartment building.

That's another option...
But living in Inwood/W Heights means that there are probably hundreds of bodegas/stores/cleaners/etc that would do this for free.
post #8353 of 11466

https://fromparcel.com/

 

This might interest some of you, although I have never used it my self.

post #8354 of 11466
Ok, so it turns out this guy who killed his father for cutting his allowance might get part of the inheritance. Net worth of mogul father: $1.6 million. I guess I was wrong about how much this guy had. It just seems very odd to me that this 70 year old guy with a life of Finance behind him only had $1.6 million. Maybe from supporting the kid? Maybe he just spent like a drunken sailor? Maybe Bernie lost most of it? Maybe it is hidden in a Swiss account? I mean $1.6 million is a lot of money, but people with normal salaries can easily have at least that in their 401K's by 70 years old. Very curious.
post #8355 of 11466
I'm currently in an awful place called Penn Station. I've been asked for money about 40 times in 20 minutes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks