or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasons why New York Sucks - Page 539

post #8071 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post

We'll be on the UWS (Broadway & 77th) for a few days next week.  We'd appreciate any tips on eateries, markets, craft-beer bars, etc.

Would appreciate Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down on some of the places that pop up in the travel guides...

Zabars - yes
Zignone Brothers - idk
West Side Market - idk
Good Enough To Eat - no
Levain Bakery - idk
Sarabeth's - no
Gazala's - no
Tavern On The Green - no
Cafe Lalo - no
Artie's Deli - idk
Pisticci - idk
Amsterdam Ale House - idk
George Keeley - idk

Thanks

and go eat dinner at Red Farm.
post #8072 of 11479

A crazy guy walked through the subway talking to no one in particular. Stops in front of me and proceeds to rant. Took me about thirty seconds to realize he was doing comedy - Henny Youngman-type stuff with a homeless angle. He was pretty funny and a relief from the fucking dancers. I gave him a few bucks (first time) as did others. I think he made about $30 for that set.   

 

Walk out of the subway and a 14-year-old walks up to me and says, "give me a dollar." I told him to fuck off.

 

lefty

post #8073 of 11479
Busking is one thing. Bumming is another.
post #8074 of 11479
I was amused when I saw this hipster busking with a $7,000 Martin acoustic guitar the other day. I gave him a $5 note.
post #8075 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

lots more hobos on the streets and subways. It's very noticeable, IMO, and the % increase of homeless people on the street also reflects this. I think it's a double digit gain, but not sure if that's just the past year or 2-3 years.

Dude, those are just your new neighbors on the other side of the bridge.
post #8076 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

lots more hobos on the streets and subways. It's very noticeable, IMO, and the % increase of homeless people on the street also reflects this. I think it's a double digit gain, but not sure if that's just the past year or 2-3 years.

Dude, those are just your new neighbors on the other side of the bridge.

in my observations, far more low-income people on the other side, far fewer hobos.
post #8077 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post

We'll be on the UWS (Broadway & 77th) for a few days next week.  We'd appreciate any tips on eateries, markets, craft-beer bars, etc.

Would appreciate Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down on some of the places that pop up in the travel guides...

Zabars
Zignone Brothers
West Side Market
Good Enough To Eat
Levain Bakery
Sarabeth's
Gazala's
Tavern On The Green
Cafe Lalo
Artie's Deli
Pisticci
Amsterdam Ale House
George Keeley

Thanks

No to all. Go to The Cottage.
post #8078 of 11479

There's only one restaurant I would travel to the UWS for : Dovetail

post #8079 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

A crazy guy walked through the subway talking to no one in particular. Stops in front of me and proceeds to rant. Took me about thirty seconds to realize he was doing comedy - Henny Youngman-type stuff with a homeless angle. He was pretty funny and a relief from the fucking dancers. I gave him a few bucks (first time) as did others. I think he made about $30 for that set.   

Walk out of the subway and a 14-year-old walks up to me and says, "give me a dollar." I told him to fuck off.

lefty
Did he tell lots of fat jokes about his wife?
post #8080 of 11479
"Take my wife...please take her"
post #8081 of 11479
Rodney Dangerfield was the king of wife jokes.
post #8082 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post

We'll be on the UWS (Broadway & 77th) for a few days next week.  We'd appreciate any tips on eateries, markets, craft-beer bars, etc.

Would appreciate Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down on some of the places that pop up in the travel guides...

Zabars
Zignone Brothers
West Side Market
Good Enough To Eat
Levain Bakery
Sarabeth's
Gazala's
Tavern On The Green
Cafe Lalo
Artie's Deli
Pisticci
Amsterdam Ale House
George Keeley

Thanks

Thumbs up to Levain and Keeley's.

I would also check out Jacob's Pickle for a meal.
post #8083 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post

Levain Bakery

They make the best cookies I've ever had.
post #8084 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Did he tell lots of fat jokes about his wife?

 

Yes. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal View Post

They make the best cookies I've ever had.

 

Undercooked 1/2 lb of cookie dough. 

 

lefty

post #8085 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Undercooked 1/2 lb of cookie dough. 

You make that sound like it's a bad thing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks