or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasons why New York Sucks - Page 509

post #7621 of 11477

Like a new suit?

 

Of all the things that disrupt the city (PR Day parade, UN General Assembly, A&F on 5th) this is the least annoying. 26 miles through NYC on fleet foot seems a hell of an accomplishment. I caught the elite runners at around the 2 hour mark through Harlem and, yes, they're all winners.

 

lefty

post #7622 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Like a new suit?

Of all the things that disrupt the city (PR Day parade, UN General Assembly, A&F on 5th) this is the least annoying. 26 miles through NYC on fleet foot seems a hell of an accomplishment. I caught the elite runners at around the 2 hour mark through Harlem and, yes, they're all winners.

lefty


I was in Ft Greene at around the 8+ mile mark. Caught the women and men elite runners plus the waves of people after(I spotted Caroline Wozniacki running by.) I think the Marathon is a great NYC event.
post #7623 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Of all the things that disrupt the city (PR Day parade, UN General Assembly, A&F on 5th) this is the least annoying.

least annoying in person. most annoying on facebook.





then again, facebook has become annoying for everything. My news feed boils down to pictures of stupid babies, marathon trainers, and people sharing articles that almost always contain the phrase "this guy pretty much nails it" or titles that say "25 things that every _____ must know about _____" or "25 things that only ____ would understand"
post #7624 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I think I said this before, but I don't really understand the whole marathon thing. Ok, you ran a lot, let's not turn this into something that it's not people.

The winning time is about a 5 minute mile for 26 miles. I'm not sure if I can even sprint a 5 minute mile pace for a quarter mile.
post #7625 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I think I said this before, but I don't really understand the whole marathon thing. Ok, you ran a lot, let's not turn this into something that it's not people.

The winning time is about a 5 minute mile for 26 miles. I'm not sure if I can even sprint a 5 minute mile pace for a quarter mile.

yes, super impressive. I think the knock is not on these athletes, but on the people who make a giant deal about it via social media when in reality it's just a long spirited jog.



in any event, big props to sugarbutch. Reserve 50% of the props for completing the race, and 50% for overcoming any thoughts of "hey let me put my shoes on and see how the weather is ..... yep, fuck that shit, back to bed"
post #7626 of 11477
Where did Ragen Chastain finish?
post #7627 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Of all the things that disrupt the city (PR Day parade, UN General Assembly, A&F on 5th) this is the least annoying.

i was pondering this, and realized something interesting. Usually, when people say "parade" it's really a warning to stay away. The marathon is pretty much the opposite as NYers will flock to the sidelines to cheer people on.
post #7628 of 11477

And the nice thing about the marathon is that the participants are doing they're best to get it over with as quickly as possible.

 

lefty

post #7629 of 11477
These runners are treated like heroes. I mean, ok, I get it, it is hard to run many miles. But it doesn't discount the fact that it really has no greater importance to the world than being a race.
post #7630 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

These runners are treated like heroes. I mean, ok, I get it, it is hard to run many miles. But it doesn't discount the fact that it really has no greater importance to the world than being a race.

It's battling obesity and making Obamacare more affordable for all.
post #7631 of 11477
Thread Starter 
Running is bad for you. Jim Fixx!
post #7632 of 11477
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

These runners are treated like heroes. I mean, ok, I get it, it is hard to run many miles. But it doesn't discount the fact that it really has no greater importance to the world than being a race.


There is a large fundraising component for many of the amateur racers. My wife ran last year and raised $8k for Fred's Team, which is affiliated with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. A quick search for this year's total of all of the ~300 charities involved is around ~$16.5 million.
post #7633 of 11477
I'm aware of the fundraising and have donated to many of them.
post #7634 of 11477
my wife did fundraisting things for the NYC Triathlon and said it was a pain in the ass. Next year will be race only.
post #7635 of 11477
I got hit up for a lot of fundraisers this year. More than in the past.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks