or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasons why New York Sucks - Page 473

post #7081 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

I'm not even sure what this means. What sort of field journalism?

Also, my daughter and I were on Broadway in Soho last Wednesday afternoon, in beautiful sunny weather. Is it cool that we enjoyed it, or would we have hated that too if we weren't naive tourists?

As opposed to The Sartorialist or Tommy Ton, who will walk around taking photos of fashionable people in the streets, these types (usually Asian girls) will pose in the street for each other as if the photo was coincidental. They'll hold bags and iced coffees and briefcase to make it seem as if they were caught in a normal moment of daily life by an actual street fashion photographer and then they'll change outfits and find another cobbled street corner to shoot another pic with. Then they'll upload them onto tumblr so they can be reblogged under street fashion and gain themselves a following of people who envy the apparent glamour of their lives.

Last week I saw two girls get out of a cab on Prince St., take a street photo of each other in front of the Ralph Lauren store and then get back into the same cab that drove them away, presumably to another street corner. It was a cobblestone crawl.
post #7082 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

As opposed to The Sartorialist or Tommy Ton, who will walk around taking photos of fashionable people in the streets, these types (usually Asian girls) will pose in the street together as if the photo was coincidental. They'll hold bags and iced coffees and briefcase to make it seem as if they were caught in a normal moment of daily life by an actual street fashion photographer and then they'll change outfits and find another cobbled street corner to shoot another pic with. Then they'll upload them onto tumblr so they can be reblogged under street fashion and gain themselves a following of people who envy the apparent glamour of their lives.

I see, thanks. Now I hate them.
post #7083 of 11469
I know. They need to Live Honestly.
post #7084 of 11469
yeah, fuck those people.




I've come to realize that SoHo is a place that I aspire to live in, but know I'll hate it immediately.
post #7085 of 11469
TJ's might not be pretentious but I find it to often have pretentious yuppies. They mill about the wine aisle tasting station and the coffee bar tasting station. I make the occasional run into the one on the way home from work because they specialize in two person serving size items.
post #7086 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

It's illegal for grocery stores to carry wine (or anything over, I believe, 5% alc) in NYS.

15% ABV for beer at grocery stores, not 5.
post #7087 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post

15% ABV for beer at grocery stores, not 5.

5% did seem pretty low to me too. I can think of plenty of beer that is above that mark.
post #7088 of 11469

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/realestate/moving-out-of-brooklyn-because-of-high-prices.html

 

The comments are worth reading as they're mostly from an older generation of Brooklynites (as opposed to the content of the article which is on the current generation) - although I'm not sure if their views are due to age (e.g. when current Brooklynites are their age they'll feel the same way) or due to the generation they grew up in.

 

But it seems to me you have a city of yuppies and trust fund hipsters that are in NY for the money/status and want to find 'people like them', effectively killing off the older generation of Brooklynites that can't compete financially and who are completely different than the current generation of Brooklyn's inhabitants (enjoyed the hardships of old NY, the diversity of the people, the working class/blue collar makeup of the population).

 

And I agree, but then again I think this is what always happens when individuals get priced out.

 

So now I'm left wondering do I want to live in a city with a growing population of yuppie consultants, bankers, etc? What's the future upside?

post #7089 of 11469
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post

15% ABV for beer at grocery stores, not 5.
So why can't they carry wine? That is, my local A&P has this crappy "cooking wine" which is low alc. but no regular wine at 12-13%.
post #7090 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

So why can't they carry wine? That is, my local A&P has this crappy "cooking wine" which is low alc. but no regular wine at 12-13%.

Grocery stores don't have retail wine licenses. They only have beer licenses.
It has been this way for a LONG time and the opposition(liquor stores/wine distributors/unions) is high against letting that happen.
post #7091 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballmouse View Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/realestate/moving-out-of-brooklyn-because-of-high-prices.html

The comments are worth reading as they're mostly from an older generation of Brooklynites (as opposed to the content of the article which is on the current generation) - although I'm not sure if their views are due to age (e.g. when current Brooklynites are their age they'll feel the same way) or due to the generation they grew up in.

But it seems to me you have a city of yuppies and trust fund hipsters that are in NY for the money/status and want to find 'people like them', effectively killing off the older generation of Brooklynites that can't compete financially and who are completely different than the current generation of Brooklyn's inhabitants (enjoyed the hardships of old NY, the diversity of the people, the working class/blue collar makeup of the population).

And I agree, but then again I think this is what always happens when individuals get priced out.

So now I'm left wondering do I want to live in a city with a growing population of yuppie consultants, bankers, etc? What's the future upside?

Based on your tone, I surmise you think this older generation that, as you put, "enjoyed the hardships of old NY, the diversity of the people, the working class/blue collar makeup of the population" has been put in a tough place. Well, yes and no. I live in a place where this is happening and there are the natives who hate us newcomers, but there is an equal amount of old timers who love us, because well they don't have to fear for their lives walking down the street and their grandchildren are safer in these neighborhoods. They are also cleaner, and the big one, their property values have skyrocketed. People who hate the newcomers are generally the ones who have rented in that area for their whole lives. Maybe this sounds overly capitalistic, but I live in Williamsburg, and in my opinion it should be expensive to live here. It is a 10-20 minute commute to downtown Manhattan. If you don't have the foresight to see that it is a matter of time before you're priced out and buy something then so be it, but that is the way it has always been in New York. Also, I would say that the shift in the newer populous vs. the old-timers doesn't so much have to do with rich people moving in, but rather education becoming more prevalent among people in general. These more educated people have different tastes/preferences and have more money to spend. I just think it's kind of bullshit for people to think just because they have lived in a spot forever that they are intitled to stay there despite what the market is doing. It is also bullshit for incriminating these people moving into these neighborhoods. It's not like it is their intention to be cruel and mean, but rather they can't afford to live somewhere more centrally located either. Take me for example, I'd love to live in the West Village, but alas I don't have $10 million for a condo there. Fuck, if I was a rich asshole, I would by all means get out of your precious neighborhood.

All that said, I do think a certain % of affordable housing is a good thing.
post #7092 of 11469
I'll also throw in that a lot of small business owners have thrived because of the influx of people as well. Some of them are making a killing too. My local organic grocer: $3 avocados. I'd love to be struggling as much as that prick!
post #7093 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I'll also throw in that a lot of small business owners have thrived because of the influx of people as well. Some of them are making a killing too. My local organic grocer: $3 avocados. I'd love to be struggling as much as that prick!

NYC (especially the boroughs) is weird when it comes to prices.. like your car get a flat and just go to the local tire shops on metropolitan street and get if fixed in 10min for like $10. lol8[1].gif

But then you have local bodega $3 avocados ffffuuuu.gif
post #7094 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

NYC (especially the boroughs) is weird when it comes to prices.. like your car get a flat and just go to the local tire shops on metropolitan street and get if fixed in 10min for like $10. lol8[1].gif

But then you have local bodega $3 avocados ffffuuuu.gif

You've clearly been gone too long. It is Metropolitan Avenue.
post #7095 of 11469
Thread Starter 
I will be back tomorrow. I assume NY still sucks?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks