or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasons why New York Sucks - Page 40

post #586 of 7498
Boom.
post #587 of 7498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal View Post

It's funny going through this thread. Most peeps dont realize how much better NYC is today than 20+ years ago.
The entire city was a pos in the 70s. Nothing ever got done. The sidewalks were full of dog shit. Garbage was heaped in the street for days. The subways were even filthier. Potholes never got filled. Vacant, burned-out squatter buildings everywhere.
Then came the 80s and 90s! Crack, AIDS, 2,500 murders a year.
So when you say NYC sucks, you may well be right. But your standards are absurd because you're living through one of its golden ages.
And to those recent transplants from tree-lined suburblandia who wax poetic for the days of Fun City and pine for "the real Times Square": Fuck you. Grow up in that shit and see what it's like.

This thread isn't about how NYC sucks on the whole, it's about how it sucks to be a commuter to a midtown office job (which to be fair, it really does).
post #588 of 7498
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanm View Post

This thread isn't about how NYC sucks on the whole, it's about how it sucks to be a commuter to a midtown office job (which to be fair, it really does).

If it's the city you hate, leave. If it's the commute you hate, return. Simple solution.
post #589 of 7498
The weather is a bit gloomy, but I didn't even have to use an umbrella this morning. Plus I'm wearing flannel wool pants and a sport coat without sweating /Manton
post #590 of 7498
the air stank the whole time when i visited manhattan. is that normal?
post #591 of 7498
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

The weather is a bit gloomy, but I didn't even have to use an umbrella this morning. Plus I'm wearing flannel wool pants and a sport coat without sweating /Manton

this past Sunday, when it was really chilly and rainy, Manton was in shorts and a t-shirt. Fact.
post #592 of 7498
one thing I never quite understood about NYC children - when I was really young, I'm sure I was in a stroller. Fine. But I frequently see kids who are like 7 or 8 still in strollers being pushed by either their parents or nannies. WTF?
post #593 of 7498
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

this past Sunday, when it was really chilly and rainy, Manton was in shorts and a t-shirt. Fact.

Manton is from just south of San Francisco. He thinks summer is supposed to look like Narnia under the White Witch.
post #594 of 7498
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

one thing I never quite understood about NYC children - when I was really young, I'm sure I was in a stroller. Fine. But I frequently see kids who are like 7 or 8 still in strollers being pushed by either their parents or nannies. WTF?

Wait until you see one of those 7 or 8 y/os being breastfed.
post #595 of 7498
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

Wait until you see one of those 7 or 8 y/os being breastfed.

I feel like that's a Park Slope thing.
post #596 of 7498
post #597 of 7498
She couldn't possible have enough leche for that young man.
post #598 of 7498
Andrew Sullivan laments his move to NYC from DC:
Quote:
Then the following: we went to a store and found a couch; they delivered the wrong one. We went to Best Buy to get a new TV; they delivered the wrong one. When they did deliver the right one, the cable-box was dead. We could not get any DVR either. I had to go into the Beast offices to live-blog Obama's implosion. Scalding hot water comes out of the cold faucet - randomly. And the space we live in is one fifth the size of our place in DC. Just to walk a few blocks requires barging your way through a melee of noise and rudeness and madness. And a glance at your bank account shows a giant sucking sound as the city effectively robs you of all your pennies at every juncture. When you're there for a few days or a week, it can be bracing. But living with this as a daily fact of life? How does anyone manage it?

I'm told I should give it a few months. Since our lease is for twelve, I don't have much choice. Adjustment to NYC is a process. A really long, exasperating, draining process. Do you just have to harden yourself to live as if this is normal? Or will it get better? Please tell me it gets better.
post #599 of 7498
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Andrew Sullivan laments his move to NYC from DC:

If his place in NYC is 1/5 the size of his place in DC for the same rent, then he must have lived outside DC, or in a really crappy neighborhood.
post #600 of 7498
He was in Adams Morgan. I don't know DC, so is that really crappy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks