or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasons why New York Sucks - Page 386

post #5776 of 11469
frankly, if you don't want heavy, I'd go to DBGB over the others. DBGB has plenty of lighter things on the menu plus the raw bar. "noodle soup" isn't light when it's full of pork belly.




also, does DBGB still have splits of Krug for like $80? Worth it for that.
post #5777 of 11469
Thanks. I do want to go. Will try persuading my way out of noodles.
post #5778 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

Ippudo West usually has a shorter wait time than the original location. Totto now has a slightly shorter wait time as a result of Ippudo West moving into their turf.

that and they set up a new location an avenue or two west

if he really wants noodles and you don't you could go to the gotham west market. it's kinda like a cafeteria/open market. ivan ramen is there as well as a few pretty decent restaurants. the ramen is very good despite the reviews from people only familiar with tonkotsu style ramens. it is however on the pricey side but at the same level as ippudo and momofuku ($14, $15 a bowl). i'd venture to say it's the best lighter style ramen in city. it's a double broth with chicken fat and a seafood heavy dash. complex and pretty different from anything you see in the city. if you go i'd buy the salt ramen. the shoyu is a bit heavy on the shoyu and it covers up the wonderful broth
post #5779 of 11469
I'll keep that in mind for next time. Went to DBGB. Wasn't great. Charcuterie platter was surpisingly mediocre and the burger tasted like something you'd get at a carnival.
post #5780 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

that and they set up a new location an avenue or two west

if he really wants noodles and you don't you could go to the gotham west market. it's kinda like a cafeteria/open market. ivan ramen is there as well as a few pretty decent restaurants. the ramen is very good despite the reviews from people only familiar with tonkotsu style ramens. it is however on the pricey side but at the same level as ippudo and momofuku ($14, $15 a bowl). i'd venture to say it's the best lighter style ramen in city. it's a double broth with chicken fat and a seafood heavy dash. complex and pretty different from anything you see in the city. if you go i'd buy the salt ramen. the shoyu is a bit heavy on the shoyu and it covers up the wonderful broth
tried Ivan ramen a few weeks ago and thought the broth was tasty, but there wasn't enough of it and it got cold too fast. Totto still my favorite. New location also nicer than the original.

EDIT: On a side note NY Times Top 10 Ramen Destinations
Edited by Churchill W - 3/4/14 at 10:07pm
post #5781 of 11469
This winter is a pain in the ass.
post #5782 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchill W View Post

tried Ivan ramen a few weeks ago and thought the broth was tasty, but there wasn't enough of it and it got cold too fast. Totto still my favorite. New location also nicer than the original.

EDIT: On a side note NY Times Top 10 Ramen Destinations

Interesting, I didn't know Takashi did Ramen. I went there for this event where they used a ton of different cuts or parts from a single cow for this crazy awesome Yakiniku meal.

I need to wait around for the Hanjan ramen to come into affect after 10pm. I live right around the corner. I liked my previous meal there.

*EDIT* Also, I was very underwhelmed by the Momofuku bowl. Also their Kimchi was some of the worst I ever had.
post #5783 of 11469
get on the 4 at grand central because it's making local stops in manhattan. then when the door shuts, they announce it's changing back to express and obviously goes past my stop...
post #5784 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar FTW View Post

get on the 4 at grand central because it's making local stops in manhattan. then when the door shuts, they announce it's changing back to express and obviously goes past my stop...
Props for being able to understand the conductor.
post #5785 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

Interesting, I didn't know Takashi did Ramen. I went there for this event where they used a ton of different cuts or parts from a single cow for this crazy awesome Yakiniku meal.

I need to wait around for the Hanjan ramen to come into affect after 10pm. I live right around the corner. I liked my previous meal there.

*EDIT* Also, I was very underwhelmed by the Momofuku bowl. Also their Kimchi was some of the worst I ever had.

Yeah totally agree the Ivan broth was pretty flavorful but lacking overall. Not a fan of the rye noodles and the trimmings didn't really sync. I like Takashi but by 12pm you're either way too hungry or faded. Totto all day!
post #5786 of 11469
the Metropolitan Museum is just nuts.
post #5787 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

the Metropolitan Museum is just nuts.

Did you pay the suggested amount?
post #5788 of 11469
corporate pass. else i would have paid.
post #5789 of 11469
Give credit where credit is due: it was my corporate pass that got me and Gome in.
post #5790 of 11469
i found mine, i thought it was lost. nope, actually in my office.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks