or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasons why New York Sucks - Page 344

post #5146 of 11479
I realize I've been saying this a lot but now I really mean it: I need to move to CA.
post #5147 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

I was in NY yesterday and walked about ten blocks in the morning snow. It was very pretty.
Then this morning I went to the beach in Venice. A fun contrast in Decembers.

Nice. NY and LA are my favorite US cities.
post #5148 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post

I realize I've been saying this a lot but now I really mean it: I need to move to CA.

the state seems to be trying its best to push out a home-grown hot sauce business. I think it's your calling.
post #5149 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

the state seems to be trying its best to push out a home-grown hot sauce business. I think it's your calling.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #5150 of 11479

Evangeline Lilly is one good looking chick.

 

Nice theatre - big screen with only 70 seats and a heavy sound system that shook the walls.

 

Movie? Not so much.

 

lefty

post #5151 of 11479
twice this week I saw the MTA train arrival clock actually increase in time.

i also saw it count down to a phantom train that apparently arrived and departed.




service has been awful as of late, and it's only getting worse. and then it'll get even worse still as their funding will be drained due to the lawsuits coming from that crash.
post #5152 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

service has been awful as of late, and it's only getting worse. and then it'll get even worse still as their funding will be drained due to the lawsuits coming from that crash.

Agreed on all points.

My commute was a mess this morning--waited 27 minutes (yes, I timed) for a train to come that I could actually get on. Went one stop, sat in station for 10 more minutes. Conductor comes on, says the train is going to run on a total different line now. Everyone gets off. He comes back on, says nevermind. Everyone gets back on. Took me 40 minutes to go two stops to where I change trains.

Was so slow that my wife, who left the apt 20-25 minutes after me was actually on the same train.

Fuck you, MTA.
post #5153 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

why is it that in the "currently viewing" section, i always see TC (Houston). Is he trolling this thread like all the time?

Yeah that's right, what about it?
post #5154 of 11479
just checkin'.
post #5155 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

just checkin'.

biggrin.gif
post #5156 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Manton and I hold may opposite opinions on some things that involve The Narrative (like gay marriage), and we are on the same side in others, but to deny that The Narrative exists is just plain silly, IMO.

Everyone has a Narrative. Some of them line up to follow "A Narrative". There is no single "The Narrative".
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Evangeline Lilly is one good looking chick.

Nice theatre - big screen with only 70 seats and a heavy sound system that shook the walls.

Movie? Not so much.

lefty

I don't check this thread FOR ONE DAY and I miss out on a movie date with lefty frown.gif
post #5157 of 11479
Thread Starter 
Silly objection. There is a dominant Narrative shared by the professoriate, the clerical/adminstirative class in all ranks of the education system, the elite media, most big corportations, the permanent bureaucray in DC and the state capitols, nearly all foundations, all pop culture, and all intellectual organizations that are not explicitly conservative. And even in the last case, the "conservatives" are in on at least some aspects of The Narrative (e.g., open borders).

Which is to say, the commanding heights of intellectual and cultural life in the West are totally dominated by The Narrative. There may be "other narratives" but they have no power in today's America. Thought has been consistently moving in a more and more monothetical direction in my lifefime. And the differences between the left and the so-called right continue to shrink.
post #5158 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

And the differences between the so-called left and the so-called right continue to shrink.

FTFY
post #5159 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Agreed on all points.

My commute was a mess this morning--waited 27 minutes (yes, I timed) for a train to come that I could actually get on. Went one stop, sat in station for 10 more minutes. Conductor comes on, says the train is going to run on a total different line now. Everyone gets off. He comes back on, says nevermind. Everyone gets back on. Took me 40 minutes to go two stops to where I change trains.

Was so slow that my wife, who left the apt 20-25 minutes after me was actually on the same train.

Fuck you, MTA.

was this on the L?
post #5160 of 11479
Thread Starter 
The burning question for 2014 is, could it be worse than 2013 for the MTA? I'd like to think "no" but one must resist tempting illusions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks