or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasons why New York Sucks - Page 308

post #4606 of 7550
SB, I didn't even know you were in town. Next time, let us know so we can organize drinks or something.
post #4607 of 7550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

pB, a marathon is an ass beating. Ultras are definitely harder, but it's kinda like temperature. At 100 it's fucking hot. At 115, it's motherfucking hot. Both are still fucking hot.

I saw a lot of people walking around in their marathon shirts on Saturday. I think those people are just looking for attention, and they hadn't even run the race yet! You wanna wear it home on the plane Sunday night or Monday morning? Fine, knock yourself out. You've earned it.

I wore my medal to dinner on Sunday night. Sure, a goober move, but those 26.2 miles were the hardest thing I've ever done, and I wasn't ready to take it off yet. Sue me.

You people have a lovely city. I should have taken more time off work so that I could do more stuff and see some people. If I do it again, I'll make sure to give myself Friday or Monday in the city.

weren't you cold? Sunday was quite nippy. Monday even worse.
post #4608 of 7550
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

my facebook news feed is still being shitted up with marathon people, but now they're just blowing each other over "such an amazing accomplishment". christ, will it ever stop???

My wife convinced me a couple years ago that we should shut down our facebook pages due to some privacy concerns. It was incredibly liberating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

running that much is apparently not good for you.

It's absolutely terrible for you and completely logical that it would be. I've always been surprised how seldom I see articles about the negative side effects of habitual distance running.
post #4609 of 7550
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

SB, I didn't even know you were in town. Next time, let us know so we can organize drinks or something.

I flew in on Friday, had to go to the expo and the charity's dinner on Saturday, raced on Sunday, and left on Monday morning. It was my first marathon, and I didn't have any idea how it would affect me, so I tried to keep the weekend low-key. I should have flown in on Thursday so I could meet up on Friday. Next time, definitely. Hell, I didn't even buzz lefty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

weren't you cold? Sunday was quite nippy. Monday even worse.

I was cold sitting on the ground in Staten Island for nearly three hours waiting for my start time, and then I was cold after the race. I thought the temps were perfect during the day. Sunday night down by the WTC was downright nippy, though.

I just realized that I was in midtown around lunch time on Saturday, and I didn't go to Super Taste. You're the one who loves the soup, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston) View Post

It's absolutely terrible for you and completely logical that it would be. I've always been surprised how seldom I see articles about the negative side effects of habitual distance running.

Why is it terrible for you? And at what point is it distance running? I think it really depends on the person. I don't think I'd want to run more than one marathon in a year, but I feel fine after half-marathons.
post #4610 of 7550
I tried running in college when I was trying to lose weight. Everybody told me to stick with it and I will get to a point where I will love to do it. Kept on telling me to keep at it and wait until this magical "zen" like state occurred. Well, it didn't. I hated every last second of it for the year I did it. I then stopped running and still lost 100 pounds.
post #4611 of 7550
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I tried running in college when I was trying to lose weight. Everybody told me to stick with it and I will get to a point where I will love to do it. Kept on telling me to keep at it and wait until this magical "zen" like state occurred. Well, it didn't. I hated every last second of it for the year I did it. I then stopped running and still lost 100 pounds.

I used to be the same, then at some point, actually did start enjoying it.

I still don't love it, and the first 5-10 minutes are just shitty every time, but I find that I do get into it after a mile or so, and I feel great afterwards.
post #4612 of 7550
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I then stopped running and still lost 100 pounds.

 

I did not know this about you.

post #4613 of 7550
I was a big boi.
post #4614 of 7550
My exercise is raising a glass of bourbon or wine to my mouth, and putting it down again. Works great.
post #4615 of 7550
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I was a big boi.

 

I don't have quite that much to lose, but I may have to pick your brain some time.

post #4616 of 7550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

I just realized that I was in midtown around lunch time on Saturday, and I didn't go to Super Taste. You're the one who loves the soup, right?

yeah, but that's downtown. Sort of near WTC. sort of.
post #4617 of 7550
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I tried running in college when I was trying to lose weight. Everybody told me to stick with it and I will get to a point where I will love to do it. Kept on telling me to keep at it and wait until this magical "zen" like state occurred. Well, it didn't. I hated every last second of it for the year I did it. I then stopped running and still lost 100 pounds.

I tried running in my 20s, and I hated it. But no one told me that the first mile pretty much always sucks. When I kinda backed into it in my late 30s, I found that I liked it, at least more than any other exercise I had tried. If you hate it, you definitely shouldn't do it.

I lost maybe 10 lbs. with steady exercise (only about 10 miles/week), but I had to start tracking my caloric intake before real weight started to come off and stay off. I'm down 30 lbs. from my peak, give or take a lb. or two.
post #4618 of 7550
Calories are 90% of the ballgame--the exercise is just icing on the cake.

Unless you get into something intense like cycling, where you can ride hard for 2-3 hours and legitimately burn > 1000 calories in a workout. But most people, myself included, don't have time for that.
post #4619 of 7550
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Calories are 90% of the ballgame--the exercise is just icing on the cake.

Unless you get into something intense like cycling, where you can ride hard for 2-3 hours and legitimately burn > 1000 calories in a workout. But most people, myself included, don't have time for that.

 

That's exactly my issue — I used to be that active (cycling and soccer my entire life) but now barely have time for anything athletic.  Combined with an intense love of food and Conne's fav pastime, well, the outcome is unsurprising.

post #4620 of 7550
I hear you. I used to be big into cycling, and could eat whatever I wanted. Now, not so much.

I basically just keep it very light throughout the week--light breakfast, light lunch, light dinner--so that I can enjoy myself on the weekends not gain weight.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks