or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasons why New York Sucks - Page 200

post #2986 of 6725
Course!
post #2987 of 6725
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Jing Fong

i had dim sum here today. Meh.





but i am happy to report that Super Taste is still awesome, and is now an A-rated health grade restaurant.
post #2988 of 6725

Desperately seeking out a decent noodle bar without having to haul my ass to Flushing. I scratch my head when a place has 4+ yelp stars and advertises themselves as Lan Zhou "兰州拉面", yet can't even do the broth correctly (don't get me started on the meat). Yet people who claim they grew up in Taiwan/China say it's authentic ffffuuuu.gif

 

 

Fried dumplings here are pretty good though. Although not sure why many places insist on including chives uhoh.gif

post #2989 of 6725
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

i had dim sum here today. Meh.

 

Just habit really. Ended up at some random place in ctown. Only gwai lo there. It was okay.

 

lefty

post #2990 of 6725
a bunch of items were cold (the fried fish and orange pork were exactly room temperature), which is weird given the turnover they must have on certain plates. The soup dumplings sucked.



a pork and shrimp dumpling-type thing was awesome, though. and the place was packed.
post #2991 of 6725
You ordered soup dumplings at Jing Fong? What the hell...
post #2992 of 6725
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak View Post

You ordered soup dumplings at Jing Fong? What the hell...

my Chinese friend ordered everything for us. And he knows I LOVE soup dumplings.
post #2993 of 6725
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

my Chinese friend ordered everything for us. And he knows I LOVE soup dumplings.

Is he ABC? Otherwise that is justification for revoking the friend card.
post #2994 of 6725
what is ABC?
post #2995 of 6725
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

what is ABC?


American Born Chinese


It's also the name of a decent Cantonese restaurant just off Mott near Transfiguration Church.
Edited by Johdus Fanfoozal - 8/24/13 at 7:19pm
post #2996 of 6725
Yep. he wasn't thrilled with the place though.
post #2997 of 6725
Thread Starter 
I know where to get great soup dumplings in NY.
post #2998 of 6725
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradwu View Post

Desperately seeking out a decent noodle bar without having to haul my ass to Flushing. I scratch my head when a place has 4+ yelp stars and advertises themselves as Lan Zhou "兰州拉面", yet can't even do the broth correctly (don't get me started on the meat). 
Yet people who claim they grew up in Taiwan/China say it's authentic 
ffffuuuu.gif



Fried dumplings here are pretty good though. Although not sure why many places insist on including chives uhoh.gif
Son post above you says super taste. Get yourself there.
post #2999 of 6725
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post


Son post above you says super taste. Get yourself there.

 

Tried that place years ago mate. Was a let down even prior to when I actually went to Lan Zhou and had real authentic 传统兰州牛肉拉面. Problem with most places the broth is either overkill, heavily laced with MSG, or tastes like generic canned soup when it should be somewhat light much like pho broth. Meat is cut in all kinds of wrong and ends up just tasteless.

 

I've pretty much given up aside from stopping by Xi'an every once in awhile.

post #3000 of 6725
95% of Chinese restaurant in NYC is a let down if you compare to the real thing. Another problem is most Chinese only know their Chinese food (Chinese food encompasses more than 6 main cuisine with tons of branching ineach one of them). If your Taiwanese friend tells you a shanghainess place is good or a Hong Kongness tells you something other than their version of Cantonese is good, chances are they never had the "local" version of that food. Doesn't mean the tweak version is bad though
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks