or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasons why New York Sucks - Page 87

post #1291 of 6774
I recently had the opportunity to drive in northern NJ, and the Pennsylvania drivers I encountered were the worst.
post #1292 of 6774

NJ is the only place I've seen where a driver will stop on the highway and back up because he missed his exit. Also home to the "Jersey left" where the car facing you at an intersection tries to make a left turn before you can advance through the intersection on a green.

 

lefty

post #1293 of 6774
it doesn't help that the NJ highway system was designed by somebody using an Etch-a-sketch board
post #1294 of 6774
I've experienced the left turn in Pittsburgh as well. The difference is that in Pittsburgh they expect the left to have the right-of-way.
post #1295 of 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

NJ is the only place I've seen where a driver will stop on the highway and back up because he missed his exit. Also home to the "Jersey left" where the car facing you at an intersection tries to make a left turn before you can advance through the intersection on a green.

lefty

This is pretty common in Boston. A surprising number of lights don't have left arrows it's sort of expected that you let the other lane turn left. :shrug:
post #1296 of 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

i've noticed a LOT more taxis being pulled over by the fuzz in the past two weeks. I saw it twice on my way to lunch today.

Makes me happy.

All hail Fuhrer Mike's police state.
post #1297 of 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmax View Post

All hail Fuhrer Mike's police state.

Pulling over crazy cab drivers going 20 over the speed limit while swerving in and out of lanes and blowing through red lights is somehow a sign of a police state? puzzled.gif

Bloomberg has pulled plenty of nanny-state garbage, but this is just common sense. *Some* laws are actually good, and should be enforced.
post #1298 of 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

*Some* laws are actually good, and should be enforced.

Fascist.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
lol8[1].gif
post #1299 of 6774
one time, maybe two or three years ago, I was in a cab with my wife, her mother, and her father who was in the front seat. The driver was a punky young asian guy, and he drove like a lunatic. We were parked at a light and the driver mumbled something along the lines of "cut me off again and I'll make you famous." Confused, my father in law turned and gave a blank stare at the driver. The driver then looked at my father in law straight in the eye and said "everybody wants to be famous" and then went right back to driving. And then we all lol'ed.
post #1300 of 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

NJ is the only place I've seen where a driver will stop on the highway and back up because he missed his exit. Also home to the "Jersey left" where the car facing you at an intersection tries to make a left turn before you can advance through the intersection on a green.

 

lefty

 

The Jersey Left is a right turn into a jughandle to make your would-have-been left turn.

post #1301 of 6774

I've only seen it in NJ. The crazy thing is that now people expect the other driver to jump the turn so they pause for a moment, but if the other guy is a normal person who learned to drive in a civilised state or country, he going to wait until the intersection is clear. So all traffic is now stopped and the horns start blaring. Or you have the guy who is not going to let the Jersey left happen on his watch so he guns it as soon as the light changes. However, if the Jersey lefter goes for it's an accident or at least two cars blocking each other in the middle of the intersection. Cue the horns.

 

It's easier to drive in India.

 

lefty

post #1302 of 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

The Jersey Left is a right turn into a jughandle to make your would-have-been left turn.

Love the jughandles.
post #1303 of 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

I've only seen it in NJ. The crazy thing is that now people expect the other driver to jump the turn so they pause for a moment, but if the other guy is a normal person who learned to drive in a civilised state or country, he going to wait until the intersection is clear. So all traffic is now stopped and the horns start blaring. Or you have the guy who is not going to let the Jersey left happen on his watch so he guns it as soon as the light changes. However, if the Jersey lefter goes for it's an accident or at least two cars blocking each other in the middle of the intersection. Cue the horns.

 

It's easier to drive in India.

 

lefty

 

I've never seen it happen but I'm in Princeton. We are a little more civilized down here bigstar[1].gif

post #1304 of 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

I've only seen it in NJ. The crazy thing is that now people expect the other driver to jump the turn so they pause for a moment, [1]but if the other guy is a normal person who learned to drive in a civilised state or country, he going to wait until the intersection is clear. So all traffic is now stopped and the horns start blaring. Or you have the guy who is not going to let the Jersey left happen on his watch so he guns it as soon as the light changes[2]. However, if the Jersey lefter goes for it's an accident or at least two cars blocking each other in the middle of the intersection. Cue the horns.

It's easier to drive in India.

lefty

[1] Pussies.
[2] This. Opportunities for meaningless self-righteous aggression should never be squandered.
post #1305 of 6774
Massachusetts drivers are much worse than NY or NJ.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks