or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasons why New York Sucks - Page 70

post #1036 of 6850

I've never had a problem south of 23rd and on the E/W fringes. Midtown is a nightmare. Taking away the 2 hour meters was a fuck up. 

 

lefty

post #1037 of 6850
Well I disagree about the meters (I think street parking should be banned, or at least MUCH more expensive than it is now even at the Muni-Meter spots, let alone "free" parking) but that's a whole different discussion.

South of 23rd... maybe only just south of 23rd? It's usually possible to find spots between 14th and 23rd, but the Village is a parking nightmare... you can find it at certain times on the weekend or late at night I suppose.

Random story about street parking: I live on 12th street, and since moving there I have parked my car overnight on the street precisely once. I parked on 12th street between 6th and 7th mind you, not by the river or in Alphabet City or some other dubious spot. I parked it at 2am (my garage is not 24 hours, hence parking on the street). I got up at 7am to move it to the garage before the spot became a no standing zone. And that one time, in that 5 hour window, my car was broken into. Awesome.
post #1038 of 6850
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrown View Post

Random story about street parking: I live on 12th street, and since moving there I have parked my car overnight on the street precisely once. I parked on 12th street between 6th and 7th mind you, not by the river or in Alphabet City or some other dubious spot. I parked it at 2am (my garage is not 24 hours, hence parking on the street). I got up at 7am to move it to the garage before the spot became a no standing zone. And that one time, in that 5 hour window, my car was broken into. Awesome.

Damn, that sucks. Is it really worth having a car in NYC?
post #1039 of 6850

Funny, I would street park in W Village nearly every day and rarely had a problem. Couldn't tell you where a garage was as I never used one.

 

lefty

post #1040 of 6850
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrown View Post

Well I disagree about the meters (I think street parking should be banned, or at least MUCH more expensive than it is now even at the Muni-Meter spots, let alone "free" parking) but that's a whole different discussion.

South of 23rd... maybe only just south of 23rd? It's usually possible to find spots between 14th and 23rd, but the Village is a parking nightmare... you can find it at certain times on the weekend or late at night I suppose.

Random story about street parking: I live on 12th street, and since moving there I have parked my car overnight on the street precisely once. I parked on 12th street between 6th and 7th mind you, not by the river or in Alphabet City or some other dubious spot. I parked it at 2am (my garage is not 24 hours, hence parking on the street). I got up at 7am to move it to the garage before the spot became a no standing zone. And that one time, in that 5 hour window, my car was broken into. Awesome.

do you drive a BMW?
post #1041 of 6850
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan View Post

Damn, that sucks. Is it really worth having a car in NYC?

No, absolutely not. It's basically the definition of a "luxury".
post #1042 of 6850
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

do you drive a BMW?

Nope.
post #1043 of 6850
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrown View Post

No, absolutely not. It's basically the definition of a "luxury".

its nice for those weekend road trips and grocery runs.... plus there's a weird phenomena in manhattan where its easy to get around on the weekends in a car (especially places like soho where you can park w/o restrictions). if you end up renting a car a lot, spending on car rentals and things like zip car end up costing more than monthly car payments so getting a small easy to park beater car that you street park without fear can actually be worth it... especially if you have kids.

any other more expensive car in NYC for street parking is definitely an excessively expensive luxury after a certain point though.
post #1044 of 6850
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

its nice for those weekend road trips and grocery runs.... plus there's a weird phenomena in manhattan where its easy to get around on the weekends in a car (especially places like soho where you can park w/o restrictions). if you end up renting a car a lot, spending on car rentals and things like zip car end up costing more than monthly car payments so getting a small easy to park beater car that you street park without fear can actually be worth it... especially if you have kids.

any other more expensive car in NYC for street parking is definitely an excessively expensive luxury after a certain point though.

Yeah... I keep thinking about getting one just to be able to get out of town, mostly during the summer.

Sigh.
post #1045 of 6850

If you have a weekend place a car is pretty handy to have. If you just use it occasionally probably not worth it by the time you add up car payment, ins, gas, maintenance and garage compared to a rental or Zip Car.

 

There is another consideration: namely the time it takes to retrieve your car. Many people keep their cars a fair distance from their apts to save on monthly fees. I have a friend who lives in Chelsea and drives to his upstate place every weekend. It takes him at least 60, sometimes 90 minutes to get on the road. Call for car day before. Travel the 20 blocks to the garage. Wait along with everyone else for them to retrieve your car. Drive back to his apt and where he looks for street parking so he can load up the car with whatever he wants to bring upstate. Leave the city and wait in the tunnel traffic. Repeat when coming home.

 

lefty

post #1046 of 6850
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

its nice for those weekend road trips and grocery runs.... plus there's a weird phenomena in manhattan where its easy to get around on the weekends in a car (especially places like soho where you can park w/o restrictions). if you end up renting a car a lot, spending on car rentals and things like zip car end up costing more than monthly car payments so getting a small easy to park beater car that you street park without fear can actually be worth it... especially if you have kids.

any other more expensive car in NYC for street parking is definitely an excessively expensive luxury after a certain point though.

This is exactly what I do. I like to get out of the city on the weekend and having two dogs makes it tough to take trains/buses. So I have an old, beater Volvo 240 that I got on ebay for under $3K. It still looks good and runs great. It was in pretty mint condition and only had 110K original miles when I got it. I park it on the street and jockey for position almost every other week day. Sometimes I pay people to hold spaces for me while I run and get the car. If I just cannot find a space and I'm on a street cleaning side, I take the car to work and park in a garage.

When I first got it, I parked it in a garage and that was nice, but it was getting all dinged and scratched up in the garage. I decided to try out the street situation and since I've been parking it on the street I haven't had any problems. I decided the garage wasn't worth the $350/month I was paying.

In the mid '00s I saw a brand-new BMW Z4 go through various stages of decrepitude and finally disappear while parked on the street. Someone was using it, but they didn't seem to care about its condition. It was like "Faces of Meth" except with an automobile. It was very sad.
Edited by FlaneurNYC - 1/15/13 at 5:16pm
post #1047 of 6850
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC View Post

It was like "Faces of Meth" except with an automobile. It was very sad.

^crackup[1].gif

my wife keeps on threatening to give up our garage because of the bumper nicks and scratches from regular NYC-driving situations already taking its toll on our car (jetta sportwagen TDi). I was lucky and walking around williamsburg last year and an old guy was standing in front of a garage and just cold offered me his at a great price ($150/month) which was too good to refuse ( also since its 200feet away from the house).

I just love that feeling where you can jump in a car and go to the beach/for a hike/2am trip to Artichoke Basille's/4am Chinese food after poker run.
post #1048 of 6850
I think maybe living in an area where there are always dozens of cabs fighting to pick you up and take you to all these places provides a different perspective. When I was living in Brooklyn, I wished I had a car every single day and night, so I would never have to deal with vomit-smelling car services again. Where I live now, I cannot see an ounce of a benefit to having a car. I have several dozens of zip cars within a 5 block radius, ranging from mini to BMW and MB... I could take those every single weekend and still be cheaper than the garage cost only (not to mention the car, insurance or gas). But most of all, the convenience is unbeatable.
post #1049 of 6850

I have a garage in my building which also holds 6 Zip Cars. I'll keep my car for now as I own it outright and do like driving, but I could see that changing quickly.

post #1050 of 6850
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

I think maybe living in an area where there are always dozens of cabs fighting to pick you up and take you to all these places provides a different perspective. When I was living in Brooklyn, I wished I had a car every single day and night, so I would never have to deal with vomit-smelling car services again. Where I live now, I cannot see an ounce of a benefit to having a car. I have several dozens of zip cars within a 5 block radius, ranging from mini to BMW and MB... I could take those every single weekend and still be cheaper than the garage cost only (not to mention the car, insurance or gas). But most of all, the convenience is unbeatable.

My problem with ZipCar is that, at least in Brooklyn where I am (Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill), it is impossible to get one on a summer weekend. You literally have to go months ahead and try to book one for every weekend during the summer and then cancel the ones you dont want. Which is nuts.

They are also not cheap for a weekend rental, but still cheaper than owning, so even though it hurts, you come out ahead assuming you aren't using it every weekend.

Right now, I just take the train to North White Plains and rent a car from the Hertz across the street from the station. Easy, and probably actually faster than trying to drive out of town on a Friday afternoon, but you can't take more with you than what you can carry, so nothing that requires lots of luggage.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks