or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasons why New York Sucks - Page 680

post #10186 of 11469
And if you are a cheap fuck and are looking to save some $, the Met's admission is SUGGESTED. You can pay whatever you wish.
post #10187 of 11469
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

Going to museums is one of the last things I'd do in an unfamiliar city that offers other things to do. Make a tattoo friend and find something better (social) to do. Or ask an SF weirdo to meet up with you (and you'll probably get Buffalo Billed).
When the museums are as good as they are here, they should be considered primary attractions.
post #10188 of 11469
Those 3 museums are World class, but they can NOT be done in 1 day...let alone a wknd trip.
Pick 1 as Gome(and others including me said.) A 2nd can be your backup plan(and I mean 3rd option) if the weather is shit.
post #10189 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

When the museums are as good as they are here, they should be considered primary attractions.

If I was old as fuck, would never visit again, and really wanted to see XYZ by XYZ badly before I croaked, maybe.

Museums typically feel more or less the same wherever they are (we don't need to discuss this, I fucking know...)


When I look at a 300 year old Dutch painting, I connect with that time and place, not NYC. When I look at modern art, I connect with wanting to kill the artist. Doesn't feel like an NYC experience to me, which is what I would want to get from early visits.
post #10190 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

Museums typically feel more or less the same wherever they are (we don't need to discuss this, I fucking know...)

-1. Vastly different experiences between the Tate, MoMA, Getty, and the DeYoung.

What you mean is they all have a lot of German and Spanish tourists, you are correct there.




the Met is uniquely NY. Take a quick break from browsing ancient Japanese weaponry, and have a beer on their roof.
post #10191 of 11469
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post



What you mean is they all have a lot of German and Spanish tourists, you are correct there.

Might change as the Euro falls against the dollar.
post #10192 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

Going to museums is one of the last things I'd do in an unfamiliar city that offers other things to do.

facepalm.gif

He's not visiting Akron here...
post #10193 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

Going to museums is one of the last things I'd do in an unfamiliar city that offers other things to do.

facepalm.gif

He's not visiting Houston here...

FTFY
post #10194 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

I'm Gomestar

I said we don't need to discuss this, I fucking know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

He's not visiting Akron here...

Precisely - if I went to Akron I'd wonder what the fuck there is to do and maybe go to a museum of tires or something.
post #10195 of 11469
As awesome as NYC museums are, overall NYC is even more awesome. This is not always the case with cities that have good museums.
post #10196 of 11469
I think some of the museums are interesting in themselves because they are monuments of the Gilded Age. The Whitney was founded by a Vanderbilt daughter. The Moma was founded by Rockefeller Jr's wife.

If you are interested in going to a museum, consider taking the guided tour of the Frick Collection. They give you a tour of the fruits of the US Steel fortune - the beautiful Frick mansion and art.
post #10197 of 11469
If you want a NY feel at a museum and want to skip one of the big 3 that you listed, consider the Tenement Museum.

http://www.tenement.org
post #10198 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

facepalm.gif

He's not visiting Akron here...

FWIW, Cleveland has an excellent museum.
post #10199 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

If you want a NY feel at a museum and want to skip one of the big 3 that you listed, consider the Tenement Museum.

http://www.tenement.org

 

+1.  However, you have to make a reservation, it's entirely NON-air-conditioned and is very stuffy.  Make your reservation for as early in the day as possible.  I went when it was in the mid-80s and almost got sick.

post #10200 of 11469
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post

+1.  However, you have to make a reservation, it's entirely NON-air-conditioned and is very stuffy.  Make your reservation for as early in the day as possible.  I went when it was in the mid-80s and almost got sick.

Yep. RSRV needed ASAP.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks