or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reasons why New York Sucks - Page 679

post #10171 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post

Now we're talking!

Serious babage there any sunny weekend day.
post #10172 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Jazz age lawn party brings out the crazies. Also it's a nightmare to get to and back.

 

I've not run into "crazies" except for one handle-bar mustached guy who pretends to inspect your bags for booze.

 

Since our visitor is staying in Williamsburg, the ferry from there to Governors Island is A LOT less crowded than the one coming from FiDi.  I'll be boarding the ferry at BKN Bridge Park; that's the same one that stops in WBurg.

post #10173 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post

My understanding is that cabs are mostly for tourists

No. There are many routes that will be much faster via cab. Order of magnitude more expensive in many cases though. As a rule of thumb, if you're going north-south in Manhattan the subway is a good idea.
post #10174 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak View Post

@ talking about hype then suggesting Burger Joint

Burger Joint is old news compared to Shake Shack, and I think the food and atmosphere are significantly better. Shake Shack feels like a college cafeteria.
post #10175 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post

I'll be boarding the ferry at BKN Bridge Park;
The line there a couple weeks ago (island opening weekend) was absolutely insane. Totally out of control. Def longer than the fidi one.
post #10176 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post


The line there a couple weeks ago (island opening weekend) was absolutely insane. Totally out of control. Def longer than the fidi one.

 

At what time?  We try to get to JALP just before opening (11) to get a prime blanket spot near the dance floor and in the shade.

post #10177 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

Burger Joint is old news compared to Shake Shack, and I think the food and atmosphere are significantly better. Shake Shack feels like a college cafeteria.
I agree about the atmosphere, once inside - although queuing in the middle of a park beats queuing in the middle of a hotel lobby.

I disagree about the burger itself. I prefer Shake Shack's. That said, they're both really good burgers, and I'm pretty happy whenever I have either of them.

What willy meant is that BJ is totally overpopulated with tourists holding guide books - so your point about avoiding the SS hype was a bit moot. Had you directed him to a place that hasn't been written about a million times, your post would have more weight, it seems.
post #10178 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarraway View Post

At what time?  We try to get to JALP just before opening (11) to get a prime blanket spot near the dance floor and in the shade.
Around noon or so?
post #10179 of 11479

It's just a hamburger and this isn't SanFo so the idea of waiting in a 45 minute line is silly when the city is filled with great burgers for the asking.

 

lefty

post #10180 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

...although queuing in the middle of a park beats queuing in the middle of a hotel lobby.

I suggested 11:15 arrival. Pretty reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

What willy meant is that BJ is totally overpopulated with tourists holding guide books - so your point about avoiding the SS hype was a bit moot. Had you directed him to a place that hasn't been written about a million times, your post would have more weight, it seems.

My point was that Shake Shack is over-hyped. I don't remember exactly what I wrote. I think people see the bright lights on the sign and think "I'm an asshole, this must be amazing, let's line up."

Burger Joint is well known, but delivers (in my opinion). I put SS a notch lower, with Lucky's 52.
post #10181 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Jazz age lawn party brings out the crazies. Also it's a nightmare to get to and back.

So does that mean will I see you there next weekend? icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #10182 of 11479
Thread Starter 
I have had shake shack very few times, when I happened to be passing, hungry, and the line was short. I found it to be delicious but not worth waiting for. Alas, the last several times I have been hungry and passing, the line has been long.
post #10183 of 11479
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post

Any suggestions? My plans thus far:

Thurs - shake shack lunch, touristy brklyn bridge pics, then met, moma, guggenheim, and a stroll in central park. Then dinner at Frank's restaurant in manhattan. Dont know where to afterwards.

Friday - gf wants to see times square (i dont really care for it) and then she wants to see the 9/11 memorial. We will be at momofuku ko for dinner. No idea what to do after (maybe santos party house for a show?).

Saturday - evening dinner at frankies 457 in brklyn.

yeah, as others have said, don't do 3 big museums at once. Met + Central Park can take up an entire day if you plan on actually looking at stuff. I'd stick with these two since the Met is in the park.

Tip on the Met: don't just go to go ... look up exhibits to visit before hand, else it's just a maze.
post #10184 of 11479

If you want something unique try Hack the Met.

 

lefty

post #10185 of 11479
Going to museums is one of the last things I'd do in an unfamiliar city that offers other things to do. Make a tattoo friend and find something better (social) to do. Or ask an SF weirdo to meet up with you (and you'll probably get Buffalo Billed).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Reasons why New York Sucks