Hey guys I was wondering, since my uni ball is coming up...i need some help/suggestions..
I recent bought a charcoal colour vest......and my suit is solid black.....does it match??
Does a vest always need to suit the colour of the suit ?
Related Forum Threads
- Purple vest lining. Too much? Last post on 8/9/12 at 1:36pm in Classic Menswear
- 2/9 Up to 25% Price Drops on (New) MMM, and Gucci and Saks Slacks, Vintage Gucci Shoe Last post on 2/9/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- FRIDAY CHALLENGE 27/11-2015: CHALKS AND PINS Last post on Today at 12:12 am in Classic Menswear
- GREY/GRAY FRIDAY CHALLENGE 30th October 2015 Last post on 11/4/15 at 4:27am in Classic Menswear
- Styleforum and A&H present "The Proper Kit" Trunk show in NYC, Nov 7 2015 Last post on 11/19/15 at 7:14pm in Classic Menswear
Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
Last edited: 10/6/15
- Fall Styles for the Tailored ManLast edited: 10/14/15
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn StyleLast edited: 10/14/15
- In Passing: Style on the Streets of Hong KongLast edited: 10/1/15
- Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather ClothLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Does vest have to match suit colour?post #1 of 208/24/12 at 9:03pmThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 208/24/12 at 10:56pmpost #3 of 208/25/12 at 5:30ampost #4 of 208/25/12 at 5:57ampost #5 of 208/25/12 at 6:12ampost #6 of 208/25/12 at 7:27am
Morning dress will often pair a dark coat with a lighter vest. Here's a modern take on it:
Though charcoal would be too dark for morning dress, it appears.post #7 of 208/25/12 at 7:42ampost #8 of 208/25/12 at 7:46amThread Starterpost #9 of 208/25/12 at 7:54am
That's a big expanse of black. I personally wouldn't wear the black suit to begin with, but since that's what you have, adding to the black even more with a vest may not be the best course of action. You will become a dark hole in the room. Do you feel a specific need for the vest?post #10 of 208/25/12 at 8:04ampost #11 of 208/25/12 at 8:19ampost #12 of 208/25/12 at 8:21ampost #13 of 208/25/12 at 8:43am
If you have a modern RTW suit that is cut as a two-piece, you probably shouldn't try to wear a waistcoat with it, and you certainly shouldn't try to find something to exactly match the colour/fabric retrospectively.
However, as MoxC points out, it is not actually the case that a waistcoat should always 'match' the rest of a suit in terms of colour or fabric.The main standard variations I'm aware of (and there may be several others) are:
1. Solid colour wool waistcoats, in grey, champagne, beige, cream or darker colours like burgundy, navy or dark brown. You can wear these as part of morning dress but you can also wear them with a suit whose colour they complement (not match). In the winter, I will sometimes wear a light grey waistcoat with a midnight blue suit, or a burgundy waistcoat with a mid-grey pinstripe.
2. Tattersall (or plaid) waistcoats with tweed or other country suits. A very British tradition. Haven't done it myself, but I have seen it look very good indeed.
3. Fancy silk and/or embroidered waistcoats with an equally high quality suit (peacocks only...).
4. Cotton or linen waistcoats added to a lightweight suit - again, colours should complement.
It is also often said that when wearing a waistcoat as part of a non-suit combination, it should match the jacket. Again, I don't think this is a misleading rule. It is often easier to do this because it removes one component that you have to think about in terms of how it works with the whole outfit, but not only is there a long tradition of trouser plus waistcoat matching (as in the stroller combination), but it is also perfectly possibly, with care, to have different trousers, waistcoat and coat. (I often also wear a good quality tweed waistcoat with jeans in the winter, but that's another story).post #14 of 208/25/12 at 11:59amIt seems there are growing numbers of people who prefer black suits. One of my friends think it is becoming more acceptable. In my opinion, BLACK SUITS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE in any occasions except funerals. Even then, I would not really wear a black suit. I will wear a black tuxedo, which is traditional, to black tie events. BUT NEVER THE BLACK SUIT. Heck, I don't even like black shoes.post #15 of 208/25/12 at 12:02pmQuote:
And to expand even more on this even if you manage to find the same fabric/texture, its best to get matching things made from the same batch of the material as the dye might be a bit off even if its the same fabric/maker/texture.
- Does vest have to match suit colour?
- Fall Styles for the Tailored Man
- › Why spend a lot on a belt? All belts look the same to me. 9 seconds ago
- › Viberg Boots 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately? 2 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 3 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 4 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories