Hey guys I was wondering, since my uni ball is coming up...i need some help/suggestions..
I recent bought a charcoal colour vest......and my suit is solid black.....does it match??
Does a vest always need to suit the colour of the suit ?
Related Forum Threads
- Purple vest lining. Too much? Last post on 8/9/12 at 1:36pm in Classic Menswear
- 2/9 Up to 25% Price Drops on (New) MMM, and Gucci and Saks Slacks, Vintage Gucci Shoe Last post on 2/9/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Clothes and Perception Last post on 1/28/15 at 9:50pm in Classic Menswear
- Pitti Uomo 87 in pictures Last post on Today at 2:14 pm in Classic Menswear
- Suit fit Last post on 1/16/15 at 11:38am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Does vest have to match suit colour?post #1 of 208/24/12 at 9:03pmThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 208/24/12 at 10:56pmpost #3 of 208/25/12 at 5:30ampost #4 of 208/25/12 at 5:57ampost #5 of 208/25/12 at 6:12ampost #6 of 208/25/12 at 7:27am
Morning dress will often pair a dark coat with a lighter vest. Here's a modern take on it:
Though charcoal would be too dark for morning dress, it appears.post #7 of 208/25/12 at 7:42ampost #8 of 208/25/12 at 7:46amThread Starterpost #9 of 208/25/12 at 7:54am
That's a big expanse of black. I personally wouldn't wear the black suit to begin with, but since that's what you have, adding to the black even more with a vest may not be the best course of action. You will become a dark hole in the room. Do you feel a specific need for the vest?post #10 of 208/25/12 at 8:04ampost #11 of 208/25/12 at 8:19ampost #12 of 208/25/12 at 8:21ampost #13 of 208/25/12 at 8:43am
If you have a modern RTW suit that is cut as a two-piece, you probably shouldn't try to wear a waistcoat with it, and you certainly shouldn't try to find something to exactly match the colour/fabric retrospectively.
However, as MoxC points out, it is not actually the case that a waistcoat should always 'match' the rest of a suit in terms of colour or fabric.The main standard variations I'm aware of (and there may be several others) are:
1. Solid colour wool waistcoats, in grey, champagne, beige, cream or darker colours like burgundy, navy or dark brown. You can wear these as part of morning dress but you can also wear them with a suit whose colour they complement (not match). In the winter, I will sometimes wear a light grey waistcoat with a midnight blue suit, or a burgundy waistcoat with a mid-grey pinstripe.
2. Tattersall (or plaid) waistcoats with tweed or other country suits. A very British tradition. Haven't done it myself, but I have seen it look very good indeed.
3. Fancy silk and/or embroidered waistcoats with an equally high quality suit (peacocks only...).
4. Cotton or linen waistcoats added to a lightweight suit - again, colours should complement.
It is also often said that when wearing a waistcoat as part of a non-suit combination, it should match the jacket. Again, I don't think this is a misleading rule. It is often easier to do this because it removes one component that you have to think about in terms of how it works with the whole outfit, but not only is there a long tradition of trouser plus waistcoat matching (as in the stroller combination), but it is also perfectly possibly, with care, to have different trousers, waistcoat and coat. (I often also wear a good quality tweed waistcoat with jeans in the winter, but that's another story).post #14 of 208/25/12 at 11:59amIt seems there are growing numbers of people who prefer black suits. One of my friends think it is becoming more acceptable. In my opinion, BLACK SUITS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE in any occasions except funerals. Even then, I would not really wear a black suit. I will wear a black tuxedo, which is traditional, to black tie events. BUT NEVER THE BLACK SUIT. Heck, I don't even like black shoes.post #15 of 208/25/12 at 12:02pmQuote:
And to expand even more on this even if you manage to find the same fabric/texture, its best to get matching things made from the same batch of the material as the dye might be a bit off even if its the same fabric/maker/texture.
- Does vest have to match suit colour?
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 31 seconds ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 1 minute ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 2 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 7 minutes ago
- › Brooklyn Tailors x Gap x GQ Denim Shirt sz. Small 7 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 8 minutes ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › Sneakers for Boot People
- › The Pleasures and Perils of the Long Coat
- › Professor Fabulous Returns to the Closet
- › Why Styleforum Matters
- › The Pittilogues: Pitti Uomo 87, Day 0
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays