Hey guys I was wondering, since my uni ball is coming up...i need some help/suggestions..
I recent bought a charcoal colour vest......and my suit is solid black.....does it match??
Does a vest always need to suit the colour of the suit ?
Related Forum Threads
- Purple vest lining. Too much? Last post on 8/9/12 at 1:36pm in Classic Menswear
- 2/9 Up to 25% Price Drops on (New) MMM, and Gucci and Saks Slacks, Vintage Gucci Shoe Last post on 2/9/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- MONITALY AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 3/1/14 at 9:53am in Streetwear and Denim
- Luigi Borrelli Suit - 48 IT ~ 38 US Last post on 12/11/13 at 8:08am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Phineas Cole Suit - 38/32 Last post on 12/11/13 at 7:52am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- Crane's Country Store
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Street Bootmakers
- Passaggio Cravatte
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Saddleback Leather
- Self Edge
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Does vest have to match suit colour?
Styleforum Top Picks
Morning dress will often pair a dark coat with a lighter vest. Here's a modern take on it:
Though charcoal would be too dark for morning dress, it appears.
That's a big expanse of black. I personally wouldn't wear the black suit to begin with, but since that's what you have, adding to the black even more with a vest may not be the best course of action. You will become a dark hole in the room. Do you feel a specific need for the vest?
If you have a modern RTW suit that is cut as a two-piece, you probably shouldn't try to wear a waistcoat with it, and you certainly shouldn't try to find something to exactly match the colour/fabric retrospectively.
However, as MoxC points out, it is not actually the case that a waistcoat should always 'match' the rest of a suit in terms of colour or fabric.The main standard variations I'm aware of (and there may be several others) are:
1. Solid colour wool waistcoats, in grey, champagne, beige, cream or darker colours like burgundy, navy or dark brown. You can wear these as part of morning dress but you can also wear them with a suit whose colour they complement (not match). In the winter, I will sometimes wear a light grey waistcoat with a midnight blue suit, or a burgundy waistcoat with a mid-grey pinstripe.
2. Tattersall (or plaid) waistcoats with tweed or other country suits. A very British tradition. Haven't done it myself, but I have seen it look very good indeed.
3. Fancy silk and/or embroidered waistcoats with an equally high quality suit (peacocks only...).
4. Cotton or linen waistcoats added to a lightweight suit - again, colours should complement.
It is also often said that when wearing a waistcoat as part of a non-suit combination, it should match the jacket. Again, I don't think this is a misleading rule. It is often easier to do this because it removes one component that you have to think about in terms of how it works with the whole outfit, but not only is there a long tradition of trouser plus waistcoat matching (as in the stroller combination), but it is also perfectly possibly, with care, to have different trousers, waistcoat and coat. (I often also wear a good quality tweed waistcoat with jeans in the winter, but that's another story).
And to expand even more on this even if you manage to find the same fabric/texture, its best to get matching things made from the same batch of the material as the dye might be a bit off even if its the same fabric/maker/texture.
- Does vest have to match suit colour?
- › ***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)*** 2 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 2 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoe P0rn. 5 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 8 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE 20140307: DocHolliday's White Shirt Blues 8 minutes ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: MC Casual Style 9 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Bangkok tailors 22 minutes ago
- › Motorcycles 32 minutes ago
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › Adidas x The Soloist Rod Laver Vin by BenMusch
- › Loake 1880 Aldwych by wurger
- › 5 Tips to find the best pair of shoes for... by mahnoormalik
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques... by mimo
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits by LA Guy
- › San Francisco Shopping Map by j
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras) by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &... by alyssaw
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans) by alyssaw