Hey guys I was wondering, since my uni ball is coming up...i need some help/suggestions..
I recent bought a charcoal colour vest......and my suit is solid black.....does it match??
Does a vest always need to suit the colour of the suit ?
Related Forum Threads
- Purple vest lining. Too much? Last post on 8/9/12 at 1:36pm in Classic Menswear
- 2/9 Up to 25% Price Drops on (New) MMM, and Gucci and Saks Slacks, Vintage Gucci Shoe Last post on 2/9/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAR 23, 2015 Last post on Yesterday at 3:56 pm in Classic Menswear
- San Francisco Bay Area, SF, Styleforum Meetup Hosted by Khaki's Of Carmel- Ring Jacket... Last post on Today at 5:18 am in Classic Menswear
- Three-piece suits: waistcoats & side-tabs Last post on 2/21/15 at 7:32pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
Last edited: 3/9/15
- Fok's Pick: Quilted VestsLast edited: 3/9/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Does vest have to match suit colour?post #1 of 208/24/12 at 9:03pmThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 208/24/12 at 10:56pmpost #3 of 208/25/12 at 5:30ampost #4 of 208/25/12 at 5:57ampost #5 of 208/25/12 at 6:12ampost #6 of 208/25/12 at 7:27am
Morning dress will often pair a dark coat with a lighter vest. Here's a modern take on it:
Though charcoal would be too dark for morning dress, it appears.post #7 of 208/25/12 at 7:42ampost #8 of 208/25/12 at 7:46amThread Starterpost #9 of 208/25/12 at 7:54am
That's a big expanse of black. I personally wouldn't wear the black suit to begin with, but since that's what you have, adding to the black even more with a vest may not be the best course of action. You will become a dark hole in the room. Do you feel a specific need for the vest?post #10 of 208/25/12 at 8:04ampost #11 of 208/25/12 at 8:19ampost #12 of 208/25/12 at 8:21ampost #13 of 208/25/12 at 8:43am
If you have a modern RTW suit that is cut as a two-piece, you probably shouldn't try to wear a waistcoat with it, and you certainly shouldn't try to find something to exactly match the colour/fabric retrospectively.
However, as MoxC points out, it is not actually the case that a waistcoat should always 'match' the rest of a suit in terms of colour or fabric.The main standard variations I'm aware of (and there may be several others) are:
1. Solid colour wool waistcoats, in grey, champagne, beige, cream or darker colours like burgundy, navy or dark brown. You can wear these as part of morning dress but you can also wear them with a suit whose colour they complement (not match). In the winter, I will sometimes wear a light grey waistcoat with a midnight blue suit, or a burgundy waistcoat with a mid-grey pinstripe.
2. Tattersall (or plaid) waistcoats with tweed or other country suits. A very British tradition. Haven't done it myself, but I have seen it look very good indeed.
3. Fancy silk and/or embroidered waistcoats with an equally high quality suit (peacocks only...).
4. Cotton or linen waistcoats added to a lightweight suit - again, colours should complement.
It is also often said that when wearing a waistcoat as part of a non-suit combination, it should match the jacket. Again, I don't think this is a misleading rule. It is often easier to do this because it removes one component that you have to think about in terms of how it works with the whole outfit, but not only is there a long tradition of trouser plus waistcoat matching (as in the stroller combination), but it is also perfectly possibly, with care, to have different trousers, waistcoat and coat. (I often also wear a good quality tweed waistcoat with jeans in the winter, but that's another story).post #14 of 208/25/12 at 11:59amIt seems there are growing numbers of people who prefer black suits. One of my friends think it is becoming more acceptable. In my opinion, BLACK SUITS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE in any occasions except funerals. Even then, I would not really wear a black suit. I will wear a black tuxedo, which is traditional, to black tie events. BUT NEVER THE BLACK SUIT. Heck, I don't even like black shoes.post #15 of 208/25/12 at 12:02pmQuote:
And to expand even more on this even if you manage to find the same fabric/texture, its best to get matching things made from the same batch of the material as the dye might be a bit off even if its the same fabric/maker/texture.
- Does vest have to match suit colour?
Styleforum Top Picks
- Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 3 seconds ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 2 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 6 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 7 minutes ago
- › Suit Alerations 9 minutes ago
- › SW&D Suits and Blazers CHALLENGE Thread 13/Mar/15 - 30/Mar/15 12 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 12 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 13 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 13 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...