or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit Options for my Wedding (w/ pics!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suit Options for my Wedding (w/ pics!)

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 

Hey,

 

I have been trying on suits for my upcoming wedding and wanted to get some thoughts:

 

Z Zegna Charcoal Mohair (i like the fabric much more then the suit)

 

Boss Black (don't really like Boss or their quality, but I tried it on anyways)

 

Isaia in Black:

 

 

Tom Ford in Black

 

This is a sample jacket I tried on at a Bespoke shop which felt great and has a great look

 

Finished jacket at the same Bespoke shop (a tad small), but I really like the look and fit...

 

Very similar to the Tom ford suit, accept most certainly better put together and completely hand made.

 

I have never done a Bespoke suit before and I am a little hesitant at the "unknown" factor of having something made.  With a RTW suit, its tangible, you can try it on and see it... With Bespoke, I guess its not.. Haha maybe I have trust issues letting myself go for it, fearing it won't turn out as I had imagined for the wedding.

 

In any event, I feel good about the tailor and I like him and his shop.

 

The biggest I am really having is with picking the fabric...

 

Had been pretty set on a black suit, but I also am really liking a nice charcoal solid option as well...

 

He has thousands of book fabrics to choose from, but are there any specific brands or an actual fabric you would recommend?

 

He showed me some fabrics from Fratelli Tallia di Delfino (super 140) and Zegna (8.5 or 9oz i believe)

 

The wedding is going to be in a warm -> hot climate but I would like to be able to wear it for occasions throughout the year in Canada as well...

 

Been doing a lot of reading on here and I know the fabric question has been asked 5000 times, I just figured I would toss it in with the suits and other questions.

 

I appreciate your time and thoughts!

Matt

post #2 of 37
Why set on black? What other occasions would you like to wear it to? Have you read Styleforum 101/Mantons speech about grooms? The price diff between TF or bespoke is large. How much does that matter for you? What time of day are you getting married? And how long until the wedding?
post #3 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Why set on black? What other occasions would you like to wear it to? Have you read Styleforum 101/Mantons speech about grooms? The price diff between TF or bespoke is large. How much does that matter for you? What time of day are you getting married? And how long until the wedding?

 

Thanks for the reply!

 

Fiance liked black, its simple, versatile ect..  I'm not dead set on it by any means.  Would wear ti to cocktail parties, charity events, museum exhibit openings ect..

 

I will look up what he said a read it later today, thanks!

 

Here in Toronto, the Bespoke shops which do completely custom made, in house suits with multiple fittings run in the 4k range, depending on fabric and the TF I tried on was almost the exact same.

 

Sunset wedding on the beach.  I am leaving in early December so I need to get it sorted now, but the wedding is in April 2013.

 

Matt

post #4 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTO View Post

Thanks for the reply!

Fiance liked black, its simple, versatile ect..  I'm not dead set on it by any means.  Would wear ti to cocktail parties, charity events, museum exhibit openings ect..

I will look up what he said a read it later today, thanks!

Here in Toronto, the Bespoke shops which do completely custom made, in house suits with multiple fittings run in the 4k range, depending on fabric and the TF I tried on was almost the exact same.

Sunset wedding on the beach.  I am leaving in early December so I need to get it sorted now, but the wedding is in April 2013.

Matt

If you read the forums, you're not going to find a whole lot of love for black, in general, but especially for a first suit, if it is your first. Personally, if I wanted something that I could use for later events, I would go charcoal or navy, leaning much more toward navy after my own experiences. Nevertheless, you should definitely do some more research on here and browsing before making a decision.
post #5 of 37
Sorry I meant price difference between TF/bespoke an Z Zegna...
post #6 of 37
Navy would be much better than black IMHO. Also, I know it seems ridiculous that it would take them this long, but confirm with the shop that they can absolutely definitely get the suit done for you well in advance of your date.
post #7 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Navy would be much better than black IMHO. Also, I know it seems ridiculous that it would take them this long, but confirm with the shop that they can absolutely definitely get the suit done for you well in advance of your date.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by facet View Post


If you read the forums, you're not going to find a whole lot of love for black, in general, but especially for a first suit, if it is your first. Personally, if I wanted something that I could use for later events, I would go charcoal or navy, leaning much more toward navy after my own experiences. Nevertheless, you should definitely do some more research on here and browsing before making a decision.

 

Thanks!  I have a pretty nice Navy already and a Black with a subtle pin stripe, a few tweed jackets and SCs..

 

Seems like charcoal maybe be the better choice to start looking at...

 

Any recommendations as to a nice charcoal or what books/manufactures should I look at?  I read oxford gray in Mantons article...

 

Thanks

Matt

post #8 of 37
I know i'm old school, but I think men should always get married in a tuxedo. If not, the black TF looks nice.
post #9 of 37
Black isn't versatile and a lot of people make that mistake.

I'm also from the school of thought that says a man should get married in a tux with only a couple exceptions to that rule.
post #10 of 37
^ that is definitely not old school.
post #11 of 37

Personally I like the first Tom Ford one you showed the most of these options! But why all these dark colors? You said that the wedding will be in warm weather. If you are in fact set with a dark colored suit, then how about a 3-piece one? You can always take of the jacket, and be more comfortable without sacrificing style... How are you planning on combining the suit? Shirt colors? necktie or bow tie? Pocket square and/or Boutonniere? What shoes?

 

Cheers,

 

H

post #12 of 37
Do not take off the jacket!!
post #13 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELG View Post

I know i'm old school, but I think men should always get married in a tuxedo. If not, the black TF looks nice.

 

We thought about a tux, but its going to be on the beach and we didn't want to go that far on our travels.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post

Black isn't versatile and a lot of people make that mistake.
I'm also from the school of thought that says a man should get married in a tux with only a couple exceptions to that rule.

 

Thanks for the tip, I didn't really think about it like that?  What other colors would you recommend for me to look at?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesNecktie View Post

Personally I like the first Tom Ford one you showed the most of these options! But why all these dark colors? You said that the wedding will be in warm weather. If you are in fact set with a dark colored suit, then how about a 3-piece one? You can always take of the jacket, and be more comfortable without sacrificing style... How are you planning on combining the suit? Shirt colors? necktie or bow tie? Pocket square and/or Boutonniere? What shoes?

 

Cheers,

 

H

 

Inexperience.. Just don't know any better...  Wedding will be on the beach at sunset in Bali.  I tried a 3pc Canali, it was also black however.  What do you feel would be a more suitable color?

 

Shirt was going to be white with straight point collar, was looking at a silk black tie with a nice sheen... Will have a boutonniere... Not sure about shoes yet.

 

 

Matt

post #14 of 37
Dude forget about black. Have you read SF 101 and the Manton piece yet?
post #15 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Dude forget about black. Have you read SF 101 and the Manton piece yet?


Its a good read!

 

Just read this section, recommending the midnight blue, oxford gray or dark gray...  All the other aspects I was already pretty settled on.. peak lapels, french cuff shirt, white shirt with a turn down collar and a not so wide spread (maybe a pique front), black tie...  Shoes provided some good insight as I hadn't really gone there yet..

Quote:
The spiffiest suit he could wear would be a single breasted peaked lapel, one-button jacket with a double breasted vest. This works well in either oxford gray or midnight blue. One could go lighter, but the severity of the cut works better with the darkest colors. The problem is that this suit is not so useful in a business context, and we want our man to be able to get some use out of this thing after the wedding day.

Another alternative is pretty much the one I have on. Dark gray, single breasted, with a double breasted vest.

 

The bespoke shop I went into, he did suggest getting a 2nd pair of pants in a nice zegna check pattern to go with a zegna gray suit...  Seems like I could add a nice DB vent into that mix and be on the right path...

 

Matt

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit Options for my Wedding (w/ pics!)