• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have issues with writing.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For my first post back from my exalted exile, I will write about the problem I have with handwriting.

Most people's handwriting--whether they are adults or children--is disgusting; an illiterate African immigrant could do better at grasping with a left hand.

Whenever I see whom I presume is a college educated person write with their nasty Bic pen, it brings to mind something like an ESL class or perhaps, the scribblings of a small monkey.

Indeed, they have even stopped teaching cursive in classrooms. Perhaps they should resume a Spencerian script or for Germany, the Sütterlin script in the classrooms.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have beautiful handwriting. it is a question not only of aesthetics, but also one of courtesy toward the reader.

ps
welcome back.

Dormouse

Reaction score
I don't care for crabby handwriting myself but don't disparage the almighty Bic. Wonderful for doodling.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have horrendous handwriting and I dare you to try and read it.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My handwriting would put a 96 year old Parkinson's-stricken widow's penmanship to shame.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has been my experience that educational level means nothing, vis a vis the appearance of one's hand. You've seen my handwriting. I've never seen anything else, like it. Had nothing whatever to do with schooling. My sister had the same teacher; her hand is barely legible. A long lost cousin wrote a hand, similar to mine. I believe there's a genetic connection, and explanation, to handwriting.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regardless, very well done vis a vis subtle digs at minorities, LK!
fing02[1].gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mine is horrible and only getting worse now that I use a computer for everything. It's something that requires practice, just like any other skill that involves a certain amount of dexterity.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I have horrendous handwriting and I dare you to try and read it.
I have a distinctive hand, especially when written fast. It's not dissimilar to this:
suetterlin.gif
However, for other occassions, I write in another format. None of my hands are particularly legible to a modern audience, who all prefer a juvenile block lettering scrawled; or as Orwell called it, "the neat handwriting of the illiterate".

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
It has been my experience that educational level means nothing, vis a vis the appearance of one's hand. You've seen my handwriting. I've never seen anything else, like it. Had nothing whatever to do with schooling. My sister had the same teacher; her hand is barely legible. A long lost cousin wrote a hand, similar to mine. I believe there's a genetic connection, and explanation, to handwriting.
Hello again Ivan, I understand your impressions of someone's educational background; however it seems in traditional educational backgrounds, handwriting was emphasized and especially something called "a business hand" which was some form of cursive. There was also an emphasis on ornamental signatures, very florid. Certainly, in the Victorian periods, men and women practiced their hand and even had numerous texts on how to practice.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have a distinctive hand, especially when written fast. It's not dissimilar to this:

suetterlin.gif

However, for other occassions, I write in another format. None of my hands are particularly legible to a modern audience, who all prefer a juvenile block lettering scrawled; or as Orwell called it "the neat handwriting of the illiterate".

Why do you write like that? It looks like dog **** smeared all over a piece of paper.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Why do you write like that? It looks like dog **** smeared all over a piece of paper.
Is your Irish hand more pleasing? Do you write with verdant ink with the pleasant scents of an Irish Spring?

Reaction score
Why should educators spend time perfecting their students' handwriting? Like spelling, another obsession of K-12 teachers, it is a poor indicator of raw intelligence. Your initial post also suggests that handwriting does more to define class than intellect.

Have the recent decades not convinced you that a skill like handwriting is far inferior to typing? While I agree with you somewhat on an aesthetic level, LK, we might as well be talking about how kids these days have such poor stylus control (not the PDA kind, the wax tablet kind), or that their mastery of the hurdy-gurdy leaves much to be desired. Why not just wait it out until a keyboard is installed in the desk of every student? Then at least there will be no handwriting to complain about.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Is your Irish hand more pleasing? Do you write with verdant ink with the pleasant scents of an Irish Spring?

I think anything is more pleasing than your elitist handwriting. Goes well with your attitude, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads