or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › When do you keep your jacket buttoned?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When do you keep your jacket buttoned?

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
Thought about this earlier today... and wanted to ask the forum... When do you button your jacket? Whenever you have it on and are walking around? Only during important "walk-ins" (meeting, cocktail hour, etc)?

I'd like to notice (and have others notice) a nicely tailored suit.... and I feel that is when it's buttoned up. However, there is a side of me that feels the buttoning of a jacket is a little over-the-top and screams 'narcissist'.

Thoughts??
post #2 of 44
when I feel like it?

while seated, its unbuttoned.
while walking around on the floor of my office, unbuttoned
when attending an important meeting, buttoned
when leaving the office, buttoned
post #3 of 44
Button your jacket, son.

If you're sitting, unbutton it. Otherwise, see above.
post #4 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

when I feel like it?
while seated, its unbuttoned.
while walking around on the floor of my office, unbuttoned
when attending an important meeting, buttoned
when leaving the office, buttoned

 

 

^ I like that. 

 

I do this purely out of habit (no idea why or where the habit was formed) - when ever I am standing or moving my jacket remains buttoned, when seated I unbutton. When seated, should the need to stand arise, no matter how short the amount of time or the reason (i.e.- shaking hands, woman leaves the table, etc.,) I automatically button back up.

post #5 of 44
I button my jacket even when I am seating down
post #6 of 44
Standing buttoned, seated unbuttoned. Exception: 95 F days with humidity: unbuttoned always. No one else has a jacket on. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KObalto View Post

Standing buttoned, seated unbuttoned. Exception: 95 F days with humidity: unbuttoned always. No one else has a jacket on. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

 

 

^ True professional right there!

post #8 of 44

Why are you people sitting down wearing your jackets?

post #9 of 44
The "rule" is easy-peasy -- your jacket should always be buttoned unless you're seated -- but I find enforcing it to be somewhat more difficult. Following it strictly tends to make you feel a bit awkward and self-conscious, having to fiddle with your buttons all the time. This is one of the reasons why I prefer DB jackets, which, as you probably know, should be buttoned always.
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivar View Post

The "rule" is easy-peasy -- your jacket should always be buttoned unless you're seated -- but I find enforcing it to be somewhat more difficult. Following it strictly tends to make you feel a bit awkward and self-conscious, having to fiddle with your buttons all the time. This is one of the reasons why I prefer DB jackets, which, as you probably know, should be buttoned always.

I agree that DB should always be button

However, if a SB is tailored in the old drape style, it should be comfortable to button it up when seated.

That is my experience.

I only unbutton my jacket when I want to remove my jacket, rarely happened.
post #11 of 44
I don't see how the jacket having drape would do much of a difference. Maybe you're thinking of sack suits? Either way, the question isn't really about comfort, but about propriety.
post #12 of 44
More drape often means fuller chest shape, means when you sit down the coat is roomy enough to be comfortable...

It is rather hard to explain..
post #13 of 44
Thread Starter 
Interesting perspectives. I'd like to get in the habit of always having it buttoned when walking. Feels a little awkward at times, though.

I was always told never to sit with your jacket on. Pressed against back of seat, sitting on the tail, etc.
post #14 of 44

Standing, buttoned.

 

Sitting, unbuttoned.

 

Exceptions include when my girlfriend wants to put her arm around my waist. All styles are modified to the whim of a woman who wants to touch you.

post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

All styles are modified to the whim of a woman who wants to touch you.

Word.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › When do you keep your jacket buttoned?