Related Forum Threads
- NWT Loro Piana Jacket 48/38 Last post on 6/22/12 at 6:32pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NWT Loro Piana Jacket - Sewn in Vest / Warm Quilted Lining - Size XL Last post on 2/4/12 at 4:57pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- DROPS! Vintage Belstaff-Woolrich-Moncler-Loro Piana-Cabourn-Bastian-Gloveral Last post on 6/14/11 at 5:04am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- 4-25 Price drops on Monccler Down Jkt and Loro Piana Belt... Last post on 7/10/11 at 6:29am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- spoon tailor -hong kong bespoke operation in San Francisco Last post on 1/9/15 at 10:16pm in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Is the Loro Piana Storm System really that effective?
Styleforum Top Picks
I've got the Piana Rossignol team jacket with the storm system and it's great. I've worn it in very cold, windy, snow conditions with no problems. I probably would choose a Mountain Hardware or HH shell for really rugged conditions, but the storm system definitely keeps out the elements.
Don't really know how to measure its actual effectiveness, but I have a Barrage coat with Storm System which I wear it both rainy & cold weather when I'm dressed casually. It seems to keep me dry, so it's good enough for me!
Mind you, the Barrage has a synthetic exterior; I don't have a natural material Storm System-treated jacket if that's the comparison you're more interested in.
It's more out of respect for the cashmere than anything else. The supposed added windproof and waterproof ability afforded to the LP cashmere by the "Storm System" treatment is nice......but in my opinion nice to brag about.
The English climate is pretty temperate so even when we have what we would consider really cold & wet weather, it seems to do fine with a jumper & shirt underneath. I've worn it in the snow with similar layers underneath (and scarf & gloves) and felt fine. The Barrage has a puffy layer of insulation in it though, which not all S/S outerwear has IIRC. Mind you, S/S treatment doesn't add warmth; it's about waterproofing.
It's great for keeping you dry and warm.
But you've got lots of options, ranging from cashmere and wool to synthetics, all with Storm System.
You might start with a less expensive choice.
The one downside is when you go inside--the water will keep dripping off.
But that is also true for most fabrics and trench coats. The only way to keep bone dry is to go the route of modern synthetics (i.e. Gortex) . But, unless I'm camping or on a motorcycle I don't need that level of protection
- Is the Loro Piana Storm System really that effective?
Styleforum Top Picks
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 5 seconds ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 1 minute ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 2 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 4 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 4 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 6 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 6 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 12 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan