Related Forum Threads
- NWT Loro Piana Jacket 48/38 Last post on 6/22/12 at 6:32pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NWT Loro Piana Jacket - Sewn in Vest / Warm Quilted Lining - Size XL Last post on 2/4/12 at 4:57pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- DROPS! Vintage Belstaff-Woolrich-Moncler-Loro Piana-Cabourn-Bastian-Gloveral Last post on 6/14/11 at 5:04am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- 4-25 Price drops on Monccler Down Jkt and Loro Piana Belt... Last post on 7/10/11 at 6:29am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- spoon tailor -hong kong bespoke operation in San Francisco Last post on 1/9/15 at 10:16pm in Classic Menswear
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall JacketsLast edited: 9/7/15
- Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn OuterwearLast edited: 9/8/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Is the Loro Piana Storm System really that effective?post #1 of 148/22/12 at 6:43amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 148/22/12 at 7:07amI'm not an expert in technical outerware living in Texas, but I own a windmate M-65 jacket and it sheds water extremely well. More impressive is the wind barrier, which makes what looks like a rain shell good down to zero degrees. All that aside, I believe the selling point is having some outerware that is congruent with the rest of your outfit. If you're running around in jeans and tshirt stick with a gore-tex jacket from Patagonia or whatever and save yourself 2K.post #3 of 148/22/12 at 7:23am
I've got the Piana Rossignol team jacket with the storm system and it's great. I've worn it in very cold, windy, snow conditions with no problems. I probably would choose a Mountain Hardware or HH shell for really rugged conditions, but the storm system definitely keeps out the elements.post #4 of 148/22/12 at 7:54amThread Starterpost #5 of 148/22/12 at 8:09am
Don't really know how to measure its actual effectiveness, but I have a Barrage coat with Storm System which I wear it both rainy & cold weather when I'm dressed casually. It seems to keep me dry, so it's good enough for me!
Mind you, the Barrage has a synthetic exterior; I don't have a natural material Storm System-treated jacket if that's the comparison you're more interested in.post #6 of 148/22/12 at 8:22amThread Starterpost #7 of 148/22/12 at 9:29amIn a torrential downpour or artic-blast like weather, I would not be caught in any LP storm system.
It's more out of respect for the cashmere than anything else. The supposed added windproof and waterproof ability afforded to the LP cashmere by the "Storm System" treatment is nice......but in my opinion nice to brag about.post #8 of 148/22/12 at 9:33amQuote:
The English climate is pretty temperate so even when we have what we would consider really cold & wet weather, it seems to do fine with a jumper & shirt underneath. I've worn it in the snow with similar layers underneath (and scarf & gloves) and felt fine. The Barrage has a puffy layer of insulation in it though, which not all S/S outerwear has IIRC. Mind you, S/S treatment doesn't add warmth; it's about waterproofing.post #9 of 148/22/12 at 9:45amThread StarterI have this Prada nylon overcoat that I wear with a thick cashmere cardigan, and I manage fine when the weather is cold. Not that rain resistant though. But I have been thinking if I should sell them on eBay and get a Storm System nylon overcoat. Compared to the Prada one, it is much more clean when it comes to looks.post #10 of 148/22/12 at 9:54amI have a number of Storm System pieces that I've worn in rain and snow.
It's great for keeping you dry and warm.
But you've got lots of options, ranging from cashmere and wool to synthetics, all with Storm System.
You might start with a less expensive choice.
The one downside is when you go inside--the water will keep dripping off.post #11 of 148/22/12 at 10:29ampost #12 of 148/22/12 at 10:58amI have a cashmere LP storm system jacket that I've wore a lot in the wind and rain. Although the outside layer will get damp water spots from heavy direct downpours it does keep you dry. I would call it water resistant for moderate rain and sprinkles.
But that is also true for most fabrics and trench coats. The only way to keep bone dry is to go the route of modern synthetics (i.e. Gortex) . But, unless I'm camping or on a motorcycle I don't need that level of protectionpost #13 of 148/22/12 at 1:37pmThread Starter
- Is the Loro Piana Storm System really that effective?
Styleforum Top Picks
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Outerwear
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 13 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 24 seconds ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 36 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 49 seconds ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 1 minute ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 3 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 3 minutes ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...