Related Forum Threads
- NWT Loro Piana Jacket 48/38 Last post on 6/22/12 at 6:32pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NWT Loro Piana Jacket - Sewn in Vest / Warm Quilted Lining - Size XL Last post on 2/4/12 at 4:57pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- DROPS! Vintage Belstaff-Woolrich-Moncler-Loro Piana-Cabourn-Bastian-Gloveral Last post on 6/14/11 at 5:04am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- 4-25 Price drops on Monccler Down Jkt and Loro Piana Belt... Last post on 7/10/11 at 6:29am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- spoon tailor -hong kong bespoke operation in San Francisco Last post on 1/9/15 at 10:16pm in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Is the Loro Piana Storm System really that effective?
Styleforum Top Picks
I've got the Piana Rossignol team jacket with the storm system and it's great. I've worn it in very cold, windy, snow conditions with no problems. I probably would choose a Mountain Hardware or HH shell for really rugged conditions, but the storm system definitely keeps out the elements.
Don't really know how to measure its actual effectiveness, but I have a Barrage coat with Storm System which I wear it both rainy & cold weather when I'm dressed casually. It seems to keep me dry, so it's good enough for me!
Mind you, the Barrage has a synthetic exterior; I don't have a natural material Storm System-treated jacket if that's the comparison you're more interested in.
It's more out of respect for the cashmere than anything else. The supposed added windproof and waterproof ability afforded to the LP cashmere by the "Storm System" treatment is nice......but in my opinion nice to brag about.
The English climate is pretty temperate so even when we have what we would consider really cold & wet weather, it seems to do fine with a jumper & shirt underneath. I've worn it in the snow with similar layers underneath (and scarf & gloves) and felt fine. The Barrage has a puffy layer of insulation in it though, which not all S/S outerwear has IIRC. Mind you, S/S treatment doesn't add warmth; it's about waterproofing.
It's great for keeping you dry and warm.
But you've got lots of options, ranging from cashmere and wool to synthetics, all with Storm System.
You might start with a less expensive choice.
The one downside is when you go inside--the water will keep dripping off.
But that is also true for most fabrics and trench coats. The only way to keep bone dry is to go the route of modern synthetics (i.e. Gortex) . But, unless I'm camping or on a motorcycle I don't need that level of protection
- Is the Loro Piana Storm System really that effective?
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 5 seconds ago
- › Barker 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 3 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 10 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 10 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 12 minutes ago
- › John Elliott Black Stadium Varsity Teddy Jacket with Leather Sleeves 12 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...