Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ Last post on Today at 12:00 pm in Classic Menswear
- ISAIA NAPOLI - SUPER HUGE MEGATHREAD - Suits, Sport Coats, Jackets, Pants, Ties, Hangers &... Last post on 11/13/13 at 7:07am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- OFFICIAL Best of WAYWT/Favorite fits Last post on 6/23/14 at 3:37am in Streetwear and Denim
- Sale on ALAN FLUSSER coats, shirts, squares, ties, fabric & more! NYC April 29&30 Last post on 7/6/11 at 11:14pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Bradley Cooper-Limitless Last post on 8/20/13 at 7:29pm in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Moda Republic
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- United Stock Dry Goods
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Chinos, coat and tie.
Styleforum Top Picks
I agree. On SF (MC) there is a strong bias towards more formal clothes. I do chinos (and even jeans) and jacket and tie very often, usually with buttondown shirts and knit ties. In fact I rarely wear wool trousers with coat and tie: it strikes me as somewhat fuddy-duddy, so when that level of formality is in order I go with a suit.
I wear chinos with a jacket very often, especially in the summer.I try to iron them, like you say (haha): "basically cotton twill dress trousers" - but rumpled isn't bad. It's a good look.
On SF (MC) there is a strong bias towards more formal clothes. I do chinos (and even jeans) and jacket and tie very often, usually with buttondown shirts and knit ties. In fact I rarely wear wool trousers with coat and tie: it strikes me as somewhat fuddy-duddy, so when that level of formality is in order I go with a suit.
Necrothreak, I know, but...
I agree that this is an underutilized look, or at least insofar as represented on SF. I also wear chinos with casual jackets and tie, always with an unfused soft collar BD casual shirt (i.e., OCBDs for solids/stripes, broadcloths for patterns), and penny loafers. I occasionally wear jeans as well, but only colored ones (mostly light grey). I substitute 2.5" solid grenadines for knits with this look because I just can't stand knits (I know, I know) no matter how much I've tried to embrace them.
When I dress it up a bit, I swap the chinos and pennies for either flannels, cotton ('cotton dress trousers') or linen, and break out the wider width ties and sleeker, dressier loafers (usually Alden full-straps). I also trade the OCBD's in for broadcloth or poplin, but keep the soft BD collars (I like my collar roll...); when the level of formality requires/suggests higher (usually when I'm with clients), I break out the spread collars and french cuffs, even wider width ties, worsted suits and balmorals.
I don't think 'wool trousers with coat and tie' is 'somewhat fuddy-duddy', but I do find it impractical (in the social sense) for my day-to-day (when I'm not with clients), which is academia and lab work. Chinos + casual jackets and the right shirts and ties, in the right fabrics and weights and textures, strike a good balance of tailored dress without being overdressed, IMO.
Or at least that's what I tell myself...
- Chinos, coat and tie.
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Definitive "Books on Menswear" Thread 3 seconds ago
- › MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Recent Purchases 1 minute ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 2 minutes ago
- › Nigel Cabourn 3 minutes ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 3 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)