or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Critiqu my 600$ MTM hong kong suit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Critiqu my 600$ MTM hong kong suit - Page 2

post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

Who made this awful garment?
Jacket and sleeve measurements off, divots and tightness hither and thither.
This is presumably the danger of buying from those to whom Asian street touts direct you.

Gah. The whole "divots" thing started out as a joke. But yes, along with a lot of other things mentioned, the shoulders are too big. And the right sleeve pitch is off.
post #17 of 52
Thread Starter 

i'm attaching a bunch more pictures and i'm going to ask the tailor to fix the issues with the jacket.  If could use help in explaining the issues with the jacket to the tailor and what i want him to fix.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbb2 View Post

Thanks for all the feedback.  I really only wear a suit 5 or 6 times a year to weddings and other work celebrations, but was hoping that this one would be the one.  i'm learning more and more with each suit, unfortunately in a year or two i'll probably get another one.  ( i had mtm suit made in shanghai, vietnam, and now HK ).  i was somewhat happy with them momentarily until i knew what i shoudl be looking for. 

 

I don't plan on buttoning the suit very often, which would help with the tightness.   

I did the same (buying suits I thought looked OK, but I didnt REALLY look). That said, I wear a suit daily, so I'm more picky about how I look.

 

I think a size +1 for your coat would be best, given that the waist and shoulders are both so tight.

post #19 of 52
It seems as though you worked out too much after you got measured up. The jacket needs to be let out basically.
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbb2 View Post

Thanks for all the feedback.  I really only wear a suit 5 or 6 times a year to weddings and other work celebrations, but was hoping that this one would be the one.  i'm learning more and more with each suit, unfortunately in a year or two i'll probably get another one.  ( i had mtm suit made in shanghai, vietnam, and now HK ).  i was somewhat happy with them momentarily until i knew what i shoudl be looking for. 

 

I don't plan on buttoning the suit very often, which would help with the tightness.   

as long as its your everday wear suite for casaul i say it looks great as long as you dont button it up wear it like you do now and I promise you people will look at how spiffy you look, how casual cool you are, among other things...only SF forum where members will critique the last stitching...I have never saw someone ask in a thread 'how do I look' and everyone will say something about it thats 'off' not one perfect suit.

 

Not even daniel craigs suit in bond movies.....the guys say his suit is too tight and he is too short for a suit among other crazy things.

post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbb2 View Post

This is actually from a semi-reputable tailor.  Baron Kay of Hong Kong.

Definitely no Gordon Yao or WW Chan by any means, but several styleforum members have said he made a pretty good suit. 

How much more to ask for on the suit length? 1" ?? 

What exactly do you mean by cleaning up the back?  Can you describe further? 

Thanks for all the help.  Luckily, i've only paid 1/3 of the suit so far.  I am going to ask him to fix these issues before i pay the remainder.

- Probably 2 inches longer (hard to guess from picture ... your butt must be fully covered)
- Cleaning up means that the vents are closed and the fabric does not show wrinkles or pulling when you stand in a relaxed upright position with the arms hanging down

Did you try the finished suit in the shop and did the tailor look at it? Did he claim this is good?
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanewbie View Post

as long as its your everday wear suite for casaul i say it looks great as long as you dont button it up

This is really a ridiculous approach to clothing, especially clothing that you are have made, supposedly, to fit.

A suit is supposed to fit and you are supposed to be able to button it up. If you can't, it doesn't fit.

http://www.jewishsightseeing.com/jewish_humor/punchlines_and_their_jokes/2006-06-01-Number%2019.htm
post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanewbie View Post

as long as its your everday wear suite for casaul i say it looks great as long as you dont button it up wear it like you do now and I promise you people will look at how spiffy you look, how casual cool you are, among other things...only SF forum where members will critique the last stitching...I have never saw someone ask in a thread 'how do I look' and everyone will say something about it thats 'off' not one perfect suit.

Not even daniel craigs suit in bond movies.....the guys say his suit is too tight and he is too short for a suit among other crazy things.

That's like saying, "Only a mechanic will notice your car has engine issues so don't worry about it."

When it comes to this suit, anyway, no one is really hammering on tiny details. There are some big issues with the fit and MTM should not have those problems.
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchapiro View Post

It's not THAT bad. In fact I've seen far worse. In the traditional sense there are many little things. But I'd certainly not be afraid to wear that out to a club or even the office midweek on a non-client day. Don't let SF get you down!

There is indeed worse, but we have not been shown the trousers to this wretched coat so it can get worse! The tailor should have had sufficient pride to either remake it or certainly burn this one, however it seems that he has spotted someone inexperienced and has taken the maximum advantage to get a dreadful garment out of his shop.
post #25 of 52
Thread Starter 

Regarding jacket length. most of you have said that the jacket is too short.  i would agree since it doesnt seem to cover my big arse.  I do see a lot of shorter jackets ( such as the ones below ) 

 

They fall to around the first knuckle of the hand. that's what i was using to gauge jacket length when i told the tailor i wanted something shorter.

 

 

is it even possible to lengthen the jacket 1"

 

 

post #26 of 52
It seems who measure you has gotten the measurement all wrong. The divots are course by tightness in the upper sleeve and shoulders, waist is too tight, length too short. When you have your jacket unbutton the two front edges should be touching at present there seems to be more than one inch gap. It won't be possible to lengthen the jacket. How to do the pants fit?

I would try ask your tailor to remake the jacket for you rather have the existing one alter.
post #27 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchoy View Post

It seems who measure you has gotten the measurement all wrong. The divots are course by tightness in the upper sleeve and shoulders, waist is too tight, length too short. When you have your jacket unbutton the two front edges should be touching at present there seems to be more than one inch gap. It won't be possible to lengthen the jacket. How to do the pants fit?
I would try ask your tailor to remake the jacket for you rather have the existing one alter.

 

Thanks for the comments.  i agree that it would be better if he took a shot at remaking the jacket.

 

MY problem is...i am not in Hong Kong.  I would ship the jacket to him and he would have to recreate the jacket based on the existing jacket and those pictures.

Do you think having the existing jacket, no fittings, and just the pictures, he will be able to do this and have a good jacket made?

 

Thanks!!

post #28 of 52
That is a hard call, I am not certain they will fix all the problems without you being there.. Having the right measurements will be a good start, perhaps you can go to a local tailor who is willing to take your measurements for you. If you send them the measurements with your photos you will have a better outcome.
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post


This is really a ridiculous approach to clothing, especially clothing that you are have made, supposedly, to fit.
A suit is supposed to fit and you are supposed to be able to button it up. If you can't, it doesn't fit.
http://www.jewishsightseeing.com/jewish_humor/punchlines_and_their_jokes/2006-06-01-Number%2019.htm

Its a loss for a business wear suit like other members have said and another member said 'THROW IT AWAY' I would not throw away a suit such as this that he spent 600 dollars on its a great looking suit for 'casual' wear and everywear, but not a formal setting its 'off' as other forum members have said.

 

LIke you said 'it doesnt fit' but are you also suggestting throw it away like other members also.....its not a loss.

post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post


That's like saying, "Only a mechanic will notice your car has engine issues so don't worry about it."
When it comes to this suit, anyway, no one is really hammering on tiny details. There are some big issues with the fit and MTM should not have those problems.

I agree, but other SF members were saying throw it away...Im not. DONT THROW IT AWAY its a great looking suit for everyday wear and NO ONE AND I MEAN NONE WILL NOTICE the shortness or shoulders etc..like us SF members do. I would not wear it for formal wear though based on that build.........

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Critiqu my 600$ MTM hong kong suit