or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The source of Drakes knit ties
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The source of Drakes knit ties

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 
Well, I don't know what the source is, but it's well known that there are only a handful of (good) knit tie manufacturers (in Italy). Only once did I come across a non-Drakes branded tie that was unquestionably from the same factory. It was in Lisbon, with a brand I didn't know, and the only one in the shop. In an ugly purple, so I didn't buy it. Still, those are my favourite knits (Gallo, Borsalino, T&A and Les Copains also have good knits, but I don't like them as much). But my question is: who makes those ties? Or at least, who else sells them? I want more colour options, and somehow I don't think that going bespoke at Drakes is worth it with a knit tie. Also, I'm going to Naples for a day or two next week, so I might check the usual suspects there. It would be good to have a lead.

Cheers.
post #2 of 64
Thread Starter 
So it's a mystery.
post #3 of 64
I don't know either but I did figure out a long time ago that there are only like three quality tie knitters in Italy. Kent Wang buys from the same one as Rubinacci.
post #4 of 64
Same knitter doesn't necessarily mean same tie though.
post #5 of 64
no but in my case they are the same, same width, weave, etc. only the colors are different.
post #6 of 64
I have a KW and a Rubi and I could swear they're different...I'll take a closer look later.
post #7 of 64
Thread Starter 
Then Gallo knits = Wang knits = Rubinacci knits (don't have any of the latter -- also, they may switch suppliers every know and them; for instance Rubi does fancy knit weaves I've seen in their shops and never liked). Also, Howard Yount = Charvet (!), and Borsalino = Ralph Lauren = Les Copains. (I have a lot of knits and hardly wear any other ties.) The Drakes ones are less common though, and I like their weave very much. If only I had written down the name of that Portuguese brand that used the same knits as Drakes.
post #8 of 64
OT I guess but I have only ever bought one drake knit, I liked it a lot but it was absurdly long, like 64". I complained on SF and someone saw the post and bought it from me. He had to be about 6'11" to wear that tie. Or had a neck as thick as a paint can.
post #9 of 64

Just from seeing one of KW's knit ties, I highly doubt they are of a similar quality to Drake's and Rubinacci. The spots don't look like they are handsewn and it is very hard to sell it for $75 if it is... For those of you that know, of the most expensive ties in the store is the knit with handsewn spots...

post #10 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

Just from seeing one of KW's knit ties, I highly doubt they are of a similar quality to Drake's and Rubinacci. The spots don't look like they are handsewn and it is very hard to sell it for $75 if it is... For those of you that know, of the most expensive ties in the store is the knit with handsewn spots...

KW knits are certainly not the same as Drakes' (different weave: Drakes' is thicker and crunchier). They may well be the same as some of Rubinacci's though.
post #11 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post

KW knits are certainly not the same as Drakes' (different weave: Drakes' is thicker and crunchier). They may well be the same as some of Rubinacci's though.

 

You've handled Rubinacci?

 

The solid and with spots that I have are pretty crunchy!

post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post

KW knits are certainly not the same as Drakes' (different weave: Drakes' is thicker and crunchier). They may well be the same as some of Rubinacci's though.

Same knitter/weaver doesn't necessarily mean made on the same machine, same raw materials, etc
post #13 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

You've handled Rubinacci? The solid and with spots that I have are pretty crunchy!

Yes, in the Rome shop. Though maybe I've not seen their spotted ones, come to think of it. Could it be that they get the solids made up and then sew the spots by hand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant View Post

Same knitter/weaver doesn't necessarily mean made on the same machine, same raw materials, etc

Yes, but I'm quite certain that some knit ties with different tags are virtually identical. Of course they could be made by different factories with identical machines and identical quality silk, but you get my drift.
post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post

Yes, in the Rome shop. Though maybe I've not seen their spotted ones, come to think of it. Could it be that they get the solids made up and then sew the spots by hand?

This is the case, they have a solid tie and then sew on the spots. This makes the price of the tie go up by 25% at least.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant View Post

Same knitter/weaver doesn't necessarily mean made on the same machine, same raw materials, etc

This is true. These people make ties, they can make to any specification and for any price point, doesn't mean they are the same quality...

post #15 of 64
Nick Bronson makes Italian knits for a lot of folks. I'm pretty sure Paul Stuart uses him.
http://www.nickbronson.com/index_ing.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The source of Drakes knit ties