or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Worst Dressed City Ever... Of All Time
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Worst Dressed City Ever... Of All Time - Page 4

post #46 of 60
YOU GOTTA TELL 'EM... INSOLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!
post #47 of 60
Actually I have been "there" incl. Saudi Arabia, UAE, Iraq (before it got fucked up in 2003 by a lousy planned and executed invasion and the unavoidable influx of bomb throwing idiots that followed).

And I still find it tasteless.
post #48 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

 

Actually you are right. Not because any of what you say is true, but because I shouldn't have expected anyone who doesn't live here or hasn't been here to understand why I think what I wrote is funny. We aren't talking about a place where people are starving, have flies on their faces, and wear whatever they can find because they are destitute. That is definitely not the case. But then, I can't say that I blame anyone for reacting the way they have. They do so with good intentions and because they are good people. They don't like making fun of the less fortunate and that is a good thing. But they also don't "get it" and have never been here. And that's not their fault, it's mine. So next time I will make a better effort to try and make a tongue in cheek post that more people will understand.


Look, I have not been to Iraq, but I have lived in a country torn by a civil war and I'd never think of starting a thread to discuss peoples' attire there.  There is just something uneasy about it...

 

Plus, we are talking about apples and oranges here.  Why would you compare Western style (or whatever is left of it) to what people wear in countries like Iraq, Saudi Arabia or U.A.E.?

post #49 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa kot View Post
Why would you compare Western style (or whatever is left of it) to what people wear in countries like Iraq, Saudi Arabia or U.A.E.?

 

Because aside from traditional dress (which not everyone wears) it IS comparable. I live here. I know.

post #50 of 60
Maybe we should send Iraqi tailors to Naples and finance the training so Westerners living there can get a descent suit?
post #51 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

 

Actually you are right. Not because any of what you say is true, but because I shouldn't have expected anyone who doesn't live here or hasn't been here to understand why I think what I wrote is funny. We aren't talking about a place where people are starving, have flies on their faces, and wear whatever they can find because they are destitute. That is definitely not the case. But then, I can't say that I blame anyone for reacting the way they have. They do so with good intentions and because they are good people. They don't like making fun of the less fortunate and that is a good thing. But they also don't "get it" and have never been here. And that's not their fault, it's mine. So next time I will make a better effort to try and make a tongue in cheek post that more people will understand.

The high road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post

How pompous and offensive for a (relatively) wealthy Westerner to make such asinine comments about the people of a war-torn country where the average income is USD $4500. Caustic Man, your dialogue goes to show that while having more wealth affords one a better closet, it does not make one a gentleman.

The low road. Seriously. While I respect your attempts at showcasing a decent vocab, insulting the OP is to stoop to the OP's apparently low level (following your logic; does a "gentleman" make such comments, or do they construct prose and rhetoric to elicit an internal desire for change in their subject whilst not insulting him?). Everyone's view may vary, but I think the pompous remark was yours and the earnest consideration was given by the OP as quoted further above.

 

You think people in Bag are stuck thinking about '03? You think the haven't very much continued in their lives? They would probably appreciate it more to be considered even on the list of potential cities to discuss instead of on the "Oh no, they're so helpless, we can't talk about them" list. Hell, most of the racks (iraqi's) I know are just as jokeful towards the US and our "bad tastes" and pride their Iraqi style...and play soccer and dance really weird/aggressively. They don't want to be coddled, they want to be on the same stage as everyone else. 

 

Oh, and please don't compare incomes. You cannot compare the income of two countries in one country's currency and economic scale. Iraq's economic scale is slighted differently, and further more we are talking the city of Baghdad, not the entire country of Iraq. There are poor people starving in Hong Kong/China, right? So you better get busy searching through all of the threads where SF has bashed Chinese persons for their style and tell them to stop because some citizens there cannot afford a good tailor/outfit.

 

Don't get me wrong, if this had been a post about the bad culinary offerings at the Darfur refugee camps or the poor styling of the Jewish people during the Holocaust, I'd have fired right up. But I think people missed the OP's attempt at both being serious in that Baghdad has some very unique fashion statements with respect to their take on Western attire, and also respecting Baghdad for being a functional, thriving, earnest city despite what it endured when it was being cleansed of a tyrant.

 

Would I have started the same topic? Maybe, but maybe with different words. The OP has stated his reasons, someone beat you to the punch of stating they thought it was in bad taste (and then they took the high road of saying "agree to disagree" instead of insulting him), so please don't jump in trying to bully someone for being, in your eyes, a bully; it's just pompous and offensive.

post #52 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrizzleCizzle View Post

The high road.
The low road. Seriously. While I respect your attempts at showcasing a decent vocab, insulting the OP is to stoop to the OP's apparently low level (following your logic; does a "gentleman" make such comments, or do they construct prose and rhetoric to elicit an internal desire for change in their subject whilst not insulting him?). Everyone's view may vary, but I think the pompous remark was yours and the earnest consideration was given by the OP as quoted further above.

You think people in Bag are stuck thinking about '03? You think the haven't very much continued in their lives? They would probably appreciate it more to be considered even on the list of potential cities to discuss instead of on the "Oh no, they're so helpless, we can't talk about them" list. Hell, most of the racks (iraqi's) I know are just as jokeful towards the US and our "bad tastes" and pride their Iraqi style...and play soccer and dance really weird/aggressively. They don't want to be coddled, they want to be on the same stage as everyone else. 

Oh, and please don't compare incomes. You cannot compare the income of two countries in one country's currency and economic scale. Iraq's economic scale is slighted differently, and further more we are talking the city of Baghdad, not the entire country of Iraq. There are poor people starving in Hong Kong/China, right? So you better get busy searching through all of the threads where SF has bashed Chinese persons for their style and tell them to stop because some citizens there cannot afford a good tailor/outfit.

Don't get me wrong, if this had been a post about the bad culinary offerings at the Darfur refugee camps or the poor styling of the Jewish people during the Holocaust, I'd have fired right up. But I think people missed the OP's attempt at both being serious in that Baghdad has some very unique fashion statements with respect to their take on Western attire, and also respecting Baghdad for being a functional, thriving, earnest city despite what it endured when it was being cleansed of a tyrant.

Would I have started the same topic? Maybe, but maybe with different words. The OP has stated his reasons, someone beat you to the punch of stating they thought it was in bad taste (and then they took the high road of saying "agree to disagree" instead of insulting him), so please don't jump in trying to bully someone for being, in your eyes, a bully; it's just pompous and offensive.

Hear hear! Totally agree! The post was tongue in cheek, and so funny (to me). I even read parts to my wife, and she found it funny. People move on, life moves on, in the midst of war, poverty, tragedy. Talking about the Iraqi people in this way, does, I believe, compliment them. It says, 'Hey, we know you've been through a lot. But we know that you're trying to move on, and we believe that you've moved on enough for us to have some fun with you.'

Let's lighten up a bit guys! smile.gif
post #53 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrizzleCizzle View Post

They would probably appreciate it more to be considered even on the list of potential cities to discuss instead of on the "Oh no, they're so helpless, we can't talk about them" list.

+1
post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupendous View Post

It says, 'Hey, we know you've been through a lot. But we know that you're trying to move on, and we believe that you've moved on enough for us to have some fun with you.'
Let's lighten up a bit guys! smile.gif

Not meant as an offense...

...but maybe you wanna consider that the above can be easily perceived as: "Hey Iraqi dudes, we fucked up your country because of some lousy intelligence work, but since now everything is only half bad, we wanna make up for it by cranking out a few punch lines about your crappy looks."
post #55 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexE View Post


Not meant as an offense...
...but maybe you wanna consider that the above can be easily perceived as: "Hey Iraqi dudes, we fucked up your country because of some lousy intelligence work, but since now everything is only half bad, we wanna make up for it by cranking out a few punch lines about your crappy looks."

True. And I believe the OP recognized that and addressed it. And (sorry to keep starting sentences with "and") had he not made that delineation or made comments to align his thought with the lighter approach over the "kick you whilst down" approach, I would've reserved my comment or maybe politely questioned his motives.

 

And hey! Who you calling crappy looks! The pants are supposed to brush the ground behind each step! You WANT it that way!

post #56 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexE View Post

Not meant as an offense...
...but maybe you wanna consider that the above can be easily perceived as: "Hey Iraqi dudes, we fucked up your country because of some lousy intelligence work, but since now everything is only half bad, we wanna make up for it by cranking out a few punch lines about your crappy looks."

No offence taken. Having been born in a 'third world country' myself, I could take it that way, or read that into the OP. But it truly came across as a funny, tongue-in-cheek kind of thing. Maybe we just look at things differently.

Also, I think the PC sometimes gets overdone.

No offence meant either.
post #57 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by petitnoblesse View Post


Since we're on the subject of Baghdad, notice I am wearing dad jeans. Admittedly I wish I had the foresight to have a pipe in this photo. Also note the DB look how tough I am pose, yet the rifle is not even slung..

Petitnoblesse, "yet the rifle is not even slung".

You are doing it correctly. The rifle should never be "slung". No "slings", "straps","ropes" or whatever. Your rifle is not a sack of mail. Should always be in your hands when you are on terra firma. At least that's what I was taught.

Worst dressed city or country INDIA.

1) Too much polyester. Why? Cotton is cheap and plentiful there. You want to know why millions of Indians have BO? Polyester clothes that don't breathe.
2) Too many Bush shirts. Bad style, but weather appropriate I guess. Why not wear a collared t-shirt/polo?
3) You want to know where to get a Safari suit? I can get you a billion of them, cheap.
4) Four pleats on your trousers is never too many. Especially if you are 5'7" and 115 lbs.
5) The shirt is either too long, or people tuck it in and then yank them out to hang over the belt, completely covering it. I don't get it.
6) Shoes. Let's not go there.
7) My observations of the working man/commuting man/student: the senior exec in short sleeves, a tie, and dockers, the junior staff in way too baggy trousers and nylon blended shirts, the student who watches I don't know what US tv or buys I don't know US magazines and thinks people buy their clothes directly off the runway. This is worse for women, or shall I say 14 year old girls that dress right off the pages of Vogue, and often like like $2 hookers. Is there anything like a $2 hooker? I know there are $2 brokers, so why not $2 hookers.
8) And lets not go easy on the people with mega bucks who spend thousands on their name brand wardrobes but don't have enough money to buy the right size. Hey "Armani" in gold lettering on your blingy t-shirt is worth more than finding a shirt without the offensive name and label but that actually fits. When people go out at night or meet at dinner, they actually discuss how much their ensemble costs. Really common to do so in Delhi. Have you ever met/seen those Ambani brothers? They have billions, they have private jets and yachts and billion dollar buildings for homes that actually look like penitentiaries (another topic, another time), but they still insist on wearing suits that DON'T FIT. Go ahead, google them. Look at their pictures.
9) Even if you suffer a mishap and a sleeve needs mending, do not feel tempted to have the hotel concierge take it to a tailor for mending.
10) DO NOT, EVER, ABOSOLUTELY EVER give your white shirts to the hotel, any hotel for cleaning. They come back grey. There is something in the water, at least in Bombay.

Despite India's sartorial failings (power grid) you should visit. Lots to see and eat.
post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkweems View Post

Petitnoblesse, "yet the rifle is not even slung".
You are doing it correctly. The rifle should never be "slung". No "slings", "straps","ropes" or whatever. Your rifle is not a sack of mail. Should always be in your hands when you are on terra firma. At least that's what I was taught.

 

Taught by whom? Everyone should have a wolf hook on their rifle.

post #59 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkweems View Post
Despite India's sartorial failings (power grid) you should visit. Lots to see and eat.

 

Never been to India but I have been to Sri Lanka. A lot of the styles you have mentioned seem to be prevalent there too. Haha.

post #60 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkweems View Post

Petitnoblesse, "yet the rifle is not even slung".
You are doing it correctly. The rifle should never be "slung". No "slings", "straps","ropes" or whatever. Your rifle is not a sack of mail. Should always be in your hands when you are on terra firma. At least that's what I was taught.
Worst dressed city or country INDIA.
1) Too much polyester. Why? Cotton is cheap and plentiful there. You want to know why millions of Indians have BO? Polyester clothes that don't breathe.
2) Too many Bush shirts. Bad style, but weather appropriate I guess. Why not wear a collared t-shirt/polo?
3) You want to know where to get a Safari suit? I can get you a billion of them, cheap.
4) Four pleats on your trousers is never too many. Especially if you are 5'7" and 115 lbs.
5) The shirt is either too long, or people tuck it in and then yank them out to hang over the belt, completely covering it. I don't get it.
6) Shoes. Let's not go there.
7) My observations of the working man/commuting man/student: the senior exec in short sleeves, a tie, and dockers, the junior staff in way too baggy trousers and nylon blended shirts, the student who watches I don't know what US tv or buys I don't know US magazines and thinks people buy their clothes directly off the runway. This is worse for women, or shall I say 14 year old girls that dress right off the pages of Vogue, and often like like $2 hookers. Is there anything like a $2 hooker? I know there are $2 brokers, so why not $2 hookers.
8) And lets not go easy on the people with mega bucks who spend thousands on their name brand wardrobes but don't have enough money to buy the right size. Hey "Armani" in gold lettering on your blingy t-shirt is worth more than finding a shirt without the offensive name and label but that actually fits. When people go out at night or meet at dinner, they actually discuss how much their ensemble costs. Really common to do so in Delhi. Have you ever met/seen those Ambani brothers? They have billions, they have private jets and yachts and billion dollar buildings for homes that actually look like penitentiaries (another topic, another time), but they still insist on wearing suits that DON'T FIT. Go ahead, google them. Look at their pictures.
9) Even if you suffer a mishap and a sleeve needs mending, do not feel tempted to have the hotel concierge take it to a tailor for mending.
10) DO NOT, EVER, ABOSOLUTELY EVER give your white shirts to the hotel, any hotel for cleaning. They come back grey. There is something in the water, at least in Bombay.
Despite India's sartorial failings (power grid) you should visit. Lots to see and eat.



Why does all of this sound strangely reminiscent of New York (or at least Jersey)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Worst Dressed City Ever... Of All Time