or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Luciano Barbera on NOT wearing jeans. Ever.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Luciano Barbera on NOT wearing jeans. Ever. - Page 2

post #16 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post

As much as you all like to hang on every sartorial breath that emanates out of the mouth of Barbera, he is an old man, with an old man physique.
He may look good in his tailored clothing, but tailored clothing is designed to do that that, make people with less than ideal body shape look good.
He avoids jeans because he would not look good in them.

 

Interesting. However, I never saw a single jeans that had a good silhouette, i.e., it does no good to any physique, but my statement is biased towards the conservatives.

post #17 of 60
I also own no jeans, but I'm not offended when others wear them unless the occasion is inappropriate
post #18 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post

I read it to mean that the issue is with wearing them at any/every occasion.

^ Yes, amazing what a little coma can do . . .


Q: Are there any style combinations that you object to?

Yes, wearing jeans for any occasion.

versus

Yes, wearing jeans, for any occasion . . .


- M
post #19 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Elfo View Post

Interesting. However, I never saw a single jeans that had a good silhouette, i.e., it does no good to any physique, but my statement is biased towards the conservatives.

puzzled.gif
post #20 of 60
Quote:
Q: Which designer never fails to impress you?
Ralph Lauren.


Somewhat surprised by that answer.. quite pleased
post #21 of 60
Is it because he hasn't got a successful denim products diffusion line, unlike most other Italian designer brands? Sour grapes perhaps?

Evidently Barbera has done jeans, as PocketsquareGuy posted.
post #22 of 60
I've recently upgraded the pants section of my wardrobe to include some wool and twill khakis (used to be a "suit for work, jeans everywhere else" type), and realised that proper pants with a nice rise actually fit me better and are more comfortable than denim. Of course, there is "soft" denim as well, but have worn through too many pairs too quickly to go for those nowadays. So if its selvedge vs wool, I'll go for wool 6 days out of 7.
post #23 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post

I've recently upgraded the pants section of my wardrobe to include some wool and twill khakis (used to be a "suit for work, jeans everywhere else" type), and realised that proper pants with a nice rise actually fit me better and are more comfortable than denim. Of course, there is "soft" denim as well, but have worn through too many pairs too quickly to go for those nowadays. So if its selvedge vs wool, I'll go for wool 6 days out of 7.

Same goes for me. When I started having trousers shortened and tightened as I like them, I realized how much more comfortable and versatile they are when compared to jeans. Not that I will abolish jeans entirely, but I do think it's better to own more trousers than jeans.
post #24 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryx2 View Post

I do think it's better to own more trousers than jeans.

My wardrobe has evolved from 80/20 jeans/pants in my mid-twenties to 20/80 five years later. For the future, I see myself owning exactly one pair of denim.
post #25 of 60

i disagree, worn fitted selvedge looks great and can last forever

post #26 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostron View Post

i disagree, worn fitted selvedge looks great and can last forever

I agree. But: selvedge takes time to break in, and if one only uses jeans 1-2 times a week, it will take a long time to get that worn look. Well-fitting wool trousers look and feel great from the get-go.
post #27 of 60
Jeans are fine for lots of occasions, but not my preference.
post #28 of 60

wow, come to think of it I havent worn jeans since winter.

 

New job is biz cas but no jeans and it being summer I'm in shorts when not working so that makes sense.

 

Probably won't go back to them as a wardrobe staple until I get some with an updated silhouette/wash.

post #29 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post

My wardrobe has evolved from 80/20 jeans/pants in my mid-twenties to 20/80 five years later. For the future, I see myself owning exactly one pair of denim.

That's like saying that you only need one pair of pants! If you are a fan of subtleties in clothing, in cuts and color and texture, jeans are where it's at. Actually, for me, that's where the real joy in dressing, styling, etc.. takes place.

Anyway, it seems that SW&D doesn't care. But I think that a lot of guys from that part of the forum would agree, myself included, that jeans are not a good choice for every event. I'm not going to discuss what is appropriate, because I think that propriety is highly overvalued.
post #30 of 60
Had a great time in jeans yesterday. biggrin.gif

9fzkzr.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Luciano Barbera on NOT wearing jeans. Ever.