Related Forum Threads
- BBBF Suits versus Paul Stuart Suits? Last post on 12/5/12 at 9:57pm in Classic Menswear
- SuitSupply Denver Store Opening Last post on 1/24/14 at 2:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Suit Supply Suit -- Age Appropriate? Last post on 10/9/13 at 3:16am in Classic Menswear
- Grad student looking to buy a suit, need some suggestions Last post on 12/6/12 at 12:42pm in Classic Menswear
- First suit advice please Last post on 11/29/12 at 11:50am in Classic Menswear
Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Buying First Suit - Helppost #1 of 108/10/12 at 7:54amThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 108/10/12 at 8:10am
A word of advice from a fellow young'n: super-skinny lapels and ties may be popular with the GQ crowd, but I urge you to think twice about a more traditional width. My first real suits were all Calvin Klein, two notch and two peak lapels, which aren't super skinny, but are definitely narrow. My father, a Brioni power-suit guy, derided my choices, but I went ahead anyways. All four suits were slim-fit, but the family tailor still did a few hundred dollars worth of alterations to make them perfect. While I still wear them, I'm much happier wearing some of my father's old suits--don't worry, another few trips to the tailor--with more traditional lapel widths. While thin lapels and ties have gone in and out of fashion along with the ultra-wides, a conservative middle-ground has always been the province of the upper echelons of corporate America. It can be difficult to find office-appropriate ties that aren't disproportionate to thin lapels, or perhaps that's just my bias towards the Italian old-guard. In any event, as Tom Ford says, a wider lapel paired with a sharply tailored body helps define the natural-V of the male torso, and gives off a powerful, and masculine, image.post #3 of 108/10/12 at 8:25amThread StarterI agree, I'm a bit weary of the J.Crew ludlow styling. It's a nice slim fit, but the lapels are ridiculously slim. I'm more interested in a suit with a slim cut as opposed to just slim lapels. The SuitSupply Napoli fit looks fairly conservative while also being a slim cut. http://www.suitsupply.com/navy-suit-napoli/P277804,en_US,pd.html, hpost #4 of 108/10/12 at 8:29ampost #5 of 108/10/12 at 8:33ampost #6 of 108/10/12 at 8:39ampost #7 of 108/10/12 at 9:24amThread Starterpost #8 of 108/10/12 at 9:30ampost #9 of 108/10/12 at 12:44pm
Skinny or slim fitting doesn't suit everyone and really depends on personal style. Just because it's trendy in your office doesn't mean you have to follow them. And skinny doesn't work well with all body types. Just make sure the suit is tapered close to the body but not too skinny. Keep the colors classic like navy or charcoal grey.post #10 of 108/10/12 at 1:07pm
- Buying First Suit - Help
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 54 seconds ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?