or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Black Double Monk - EG, Carmina or George Cleverley?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Black Double Monk - EG, Carmina or George Cleverley?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I am looking for a pair of double monks in black. I have 8 or 9 pair of G&G shoes so I thought I would try something different and these three came to the top. Price won't be the deciding factor. Any suggestions?


Carmina:



EG:



George Cleverley:

post #2 of 11
EG Westminsters.

Don't like the Carmina Inca last at all. Aren't George Cleverley shoes just expensive rebadged C&Js?
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne View Post

EG Westminsters.
Don't like the Carmina Inca last at all. Aren't George Cleverley shoes just expensive rebadged C&Js?

There are other Carmina lasts. Mine (don't know which one - got them on eBay years ago) is very nice a bit like a C&J 337.
post #4 of 11
If I was in a blind taste test, I would pick Carmina.
post #5 of 11
The Carmina is a bit pointed for my tastes in the above photo. I've had a couple of Lobb Williams (Double Monk's) and that slightly rounded toe never seems to go out of style. I would suggest getting the one that is closest to that shape. I can't see the Cleverly toe so I'm going with EG. I also like the Alfred Sargent shape, but I'm not a big fan of their buckles.
post #6 of 11
if the Carmina's are on the Inca last, it's not really pointy.

It's quite round, actually more of an almond shape. It's a very nice last for a double monk.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

if the Carmina's are on the Inca last, it's not really pointy.
It's quite round, actually more of an almond shape. It's a very nice last for a double monk.

+1

post #8 of 11
^^^^That looks very different and better than the photo in the OP above. I like it.
post #9 of 11
On the Simpson last Carmina's doubles are quite nice. The Forrest last is attractive too, but I haven't seen it done on a double monk. Have you considered C&J's Loundes?
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post

The Carmina is a bit pointed for my tastes in the above photo. I've had a couple of Lobb Williams (Double Monk's) and that slightly rounded toe never seems to go out of style. I would suggest getting the one that is closest to that shape. I can't see the Cleverly toe so I'm going with EG. I also like the Alfred Sargent shape, but I'm not a big fan of their buckles.

+1. The JL williams are my favorite double monks, with the EGs (on the 202) a close second.
post #11 of 11
I have the EG double monks on the 888 last, I absolutely loved them and have worn them to death. I am not a fan of the Carmina Inca last either. If price is not a issue take a look at the Saint Crispins double monks on the classic last.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Black Double Monk - EG, Carmina or George Cleverley?