or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Job offer salary negotiations when unemployed...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Job offer salary negotiations when unemployed...

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Long story short - I was (unexpectedly and without warning) let go from my previous job a few months back. Have been through a few interviews with a new company recently and I'm expecting an offer in a day or so. Obviously, I'm not in a strong negotiating position. It a great company, excellent benefits, and a position I'm really looking forward to - but at the same time, of course I'd like to maximize my earnings.

When we initially discussed salary, I provided a range, and the HR rep said he could definitely work with it. He came back a few days later and mentioned that finance was giving him some trouble, and that they were trying to get approval for additional money. I spoke with the hiring manager's boss on Friday, and he asked if I'd be ok with a number that was 1/3 of the way into my range; I replied that I'd be amenable that. HR has requested to speak with me tomorrow to "run some numbers by" me.

Suggestions on how to proceed (especially if the numbers are below what the hiring manager's boss mentioned last week?)
post #2 of 13

i dont have any suggestions, but i was wondering if you were comfortable telling me which company is hiring?  i was part of a research project at CHOP that just ended, so im looking for employment as well.  

post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post

Long story short - I was (unexpectedly and without warning) let go from my previous job a few months back. Have been through a few interviews with a new company recently and I'm expecting an offer in a day or so. Obviously, I'm not in a strong negotiating position. It a great company, excellent benefits, and a position I'm really looking forward to - but at the same time, of course I'd like to maximize my earnings.
When we initially discussed salary, I provided a range, and the HR rep said he could definitely work with it. He came back a few days later and mentioned that finance was giving him some trouble, and that they were trying to get approval for additional money. I spoke with the hiring manager's boss on Friday, and he asked if I'd be ok with a number that was 1/3 of the way into my range; I replied that I'd be amenable that. HR has requested to speak with me tomorrow to "run some numbers by" me.
Suggestions on how to proceed (especially if the numbers are below what the hiring manager's boss mentioned last week?)

 They are feeling you out. They are trying to go as low as possible, just as you want to go as high as possible.

 

Do a little research. What is your experience worth? How much of a discount are you willing to give this company?

post #4 of 13
Did you take out redundancy insurance/have enough savings to live on for the forseeable future? If I have no income I tend to take what I'm offered, wait until you already have something guaranteed before pushing it.
post #5 of 13
Normally, I do research first and ask for the top end of the normal range and hope they don't counter too far from my ask.

Sounds like you're past this stage so you gotta accept what you can live with. Is it an insultingly low offer or does it sound like they're playing hard ball given your position? If so, are you willing to work with a company like that? If so, counter with whatever they offer (maybe ask for X more and explain how low it is compared to going rates). If they say sorry this is final, then it's up to you to walk away or live with it (but they'd have to know you'd jump at the next best thing that comes along). If their financial situation seems temporary you can also consider asking they work in a significant pay raise after your 6 month or 1 year probation/review period (in writing of course).

Good Luck.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunyaYamamoto View Post

i dont have any suggestions, but i was wondering if you were comfortable telling me which company is hiring?  i was part of a research project at CHOP that just ended, so im looking for employment as well.  
WTF? facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post

WTF? facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

LOL THIS!!
post #8 of 13

good benefits

in the range you stipulated

do you think you will like the job?

room to advance?

 

I'd jump on it unless you have other offers

easier (and less stress) to find a job when working

 

what do you do?

are you in a field in high demand?

post #9 of 13
You gave them a range you would be happy with...they gave you back a number in that range.

You can try to ask for more but dude...you already told them you were happy with the number. Next time fight hard on not saying anything. At the end of the day you can keep saying that you aren't comfortable discussing that and they are the ones with an obligation to put a number down on an offer sheet.

They aren't going to take the offer away if you try to negotiate...but they might not go any higher.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

You gave them a range you would be happy with...they gave you back a number in that range.
You can try to ask for more but dude...you already told them you were happy with the number. Next time fight hard on not saying anything. At the end of the day you can keep saying that you aren't comfortable discussing that and they are the ones with an obligation to put a number down on an offer sheet.
They aren't going to take the offer away if you try to negotiate...but they might not go any higher.

 

ditto

 

if you ask for more, they may move on, I doubt they only interviewed 1 person

if you wanted more, change the range, higher, narrower, whatever, you gave a range, they are within it

I've hired people, and the offer is the offer, especially if I met their requested range

 

the way I look at at it, somebody who basically reneged on a deal (gives me a range, I am within the range), will only be a problem employee down the road...get in the door, and show them what you can do

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur PE View Post

ditto

if you ask for more, they may move on, I doubt they only interviewed 1 person
if you wanted more, change the range, higher, narrower, whatever, you gave a range, they are within it
I've hired people, and the offer is the offer, especially if I met their requested range

the way I look at at it, somebody who basically reneged on a deal (gives me a range, I am within the range), will only be a problem employee down the road...get in the door, and show them what you can do
This.

Is there incentive/performance bonus'? Take the base-salary they give you .. and if possible, negotiate on the bonus structure.
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks all. I didn't go into as much detail as I should have in the OP - a number was mentioned on Friday, and the way the email before the conversation with HR was worded, I was concerned that that number wasn't what was going to be presented. Turns out it was. I had done the research before I presented my range, and I'm happy with where I ended up.

Junya - they're actually not hiring in the area; I'm working remotely. Best of luck in your search.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur PE View Post

ditto

if you ask for more, they may move on, I doubt they only interviewed 1 person
if you wanted more, change the range, higher, narrower, whatever, you gave a range, they are within it
I've hired people, and the offer is the offer, especially if I met their requested range

the way I look at at it, somebody who basically reneged on a deal (gives me a range, I am within the range), will only be a problem employee down the road...get in the door, and show them what you can do

Eh...that's extremely unlikely (and if they do rescind an offer over a first attempt to negotiate, you don't want to work there anyway). They might say no...but they won't say nevermind. They've already shown their hand and made the offer to you with a number...asking for more shouldn't change their willingness to hire you at the original number if they don't like your request.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Job offer salary negotiations when unemployed...