or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MC General Chat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MC General Chat - Page 65

post #961 of 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist View Post

Unless you're a Lumberjack?

Or you're a druid and can't wear metal.
post #962 of 1752
Thread Starter 
Can't decide between Gaziano & Girling Canterbury in shell cordovan or Edward Green Shannons in coffee suede. Anyone have thoughts?


post #963 of 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Can't decide between Gaziano & Girling Canterbury in shell cordovan or Edward Green Shannons in coffee suede. Anyone have thoughts?

Didn't you just get a pair of Shannons? Why not get a suede shoe?
post #964 of 1752
Thread Starter 
I did, but it's dark oak antique calf. I really like it and now think I want another.

The question I suppose is - which would look best with grey flannel trousers and tweed jackets?
post #965 of 1752
I always go with suede if I'm on the fence. Though both materials are on the casual side of the spectrum, the added texture of suede always sets off an outfit, IMO. I also usually only like corodvan for loafers. The rolls created by wearing strike me as odd on a formal shoe (or formal boot).

I would issue a warning about though suede pull tabs, though. I've read many horror stories about suede tabs being pulled off or wearing very poorly. I think it was Fok who said that AS won't put suede pull tabs on any of their boots anymore, even MTO, because of this.
post #966 of 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I did, but it's dark oak antique calf. I really like it and now think I want another.

The question I suppose is - which would look best with grey flannel trousers and tweed jackets?

Suede Dovers?
post #967 of 1752
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

The rolls created by wearing strike me as odd on a formal shoe (or formal boot).

I would issue a warning about though suede pull tabs, though. I've read many horror stories about suede tabs being pulled off or wearing very poorly. I think it was Fok who said that AS won't put suede pull tabs on any of their boots anymore, even MTO, because of this.

I was unsure about the waviness of shell on a formal shoe as well, but somehow when I think tweed jacket and flannel trous, shell dress boots seem like they'd look better than suede? Would suede just add too much texture? Regarding the suede pull tabs, are you saying fabric pull tabs then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Suede Dovers?

I'm ordering a pair of those as well, but figured maybe I should get another dress boot on top.
post #968 of 1752
I would definitely get the cordovan. I love the way it looks on bal boots. Looks great with flannel, I think even better with donegal (and significantly better than suede with donegal IMHO). I don't have any cordovan boots but they are somewhere in my future. Def the next boot I will get.

I'd rather get suede dovers and cordovan boots than suede boots and calf dovers.
post #969 of 1752
I'm not 100% sure what the complication is with suede tabs, I just remember reading here (and elsewhere) that they are less than ideal. Never having owned a pair of suede boots with tabs, I can't speak to it myself.

I kind of tend to agree with unbel regarding the Donegal factor. While I love the combination of mid-grey flannel and peanut butter suede (I'm wearing that combo right now, in fact), I think it may be a bit at odds with a Donegal and may, to your point, add a bit too much texture.
post #970 of 1752

Shell boots looks so good with flannel trousers. I've been wearing that combo pretty much every day it's cold enough.

post #971 of 1752
Perhaps my favorite trou/shoe combo that I have is some blue flannels with shell wingtips.
post #972 of 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

I kind of tend to agree with unbel regarding the Donegal factor. While I love the combination of mid-grey flannel and peanut butter suede (I'm wearing that combo right now, in fact), I think it may be a bit at odds with a Donegal and may, to your point, add a bit too much texture.

Given the distance, I'm not sure how the texture of the jacket impacts that of the shoe and vice versa.
post #973 of 1752
Likely my over-thinking. But for some reason I see a cigar shell cordovan going better with Donegal than peanut butter suede in terms of the overall tones of the outfit. Though, to your point, I'm sure both would look good.
post #974 of 1752
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Given the distance, I'm not sure how the texture of the jacket impacts that of the shoe and vice versa.

I don't even fuck with certain environments if it clashes with what I'm wearing. Dark skinned people coming up to me? Not when I'm wearing charcoal, brotha.
post #975 of 1752
look at this weiner's site.

scary the people that hold themselves out as experts

http://www.bestylish.org/blog/

fucking LOL

http://www.bestylish.org/ebook/?s=article

tool does not begin to cover it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MC General Chat