or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MC General Chat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MC General Chat - Page 123

post #1831 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I have a raw silk tie from him that I really like


I remember that tie. smile.gif
post #1832 of 2128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye View Post

I remember that tie. smile.gif

Were you the guy I bought it from? People really slept on that deal.
post #1833 of 2128
Going to finally pickup some new trousers. What would be the essentials?

Gray
Dark Gray
Tan?
Blue?

I want it to be as versatile as possible. Howard Yount has a nice selection but it seems the customer service is questionable. Will probably try out Epaulet NY house cut.

Going to see whether "more expensive" trousers really make a difference in fit, silhouette, and drape. I guess I should be concerned about the weight of the fabric...

ROTA seems really nice (offered by NMWA) but I never understood why button front vs. zipper. It just feels like an inconvenience when using the restroom.
post #1834 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

Going to finally pickup some new trousers. What would be the essentials?

Gray
Dark Gray
Tan?
Blue?

I want it to be as versatile as possible. Howard Yount has a nice selection but it seems the customer service is questionable. Will probably try out Epaulet NY house cut.

Going to see whether "more expensive" trousers really make a difference in fit, silhouette, and drape. I guess I should be concerned about the weight of the fabric...

ROTA seems really nice (offered by NMWA) but I never understood why button front vs. zipper. It just feels like an inconvenience when using the restroom.

 

Unfortunately hard to give advice without knowing what currently fits you well and your preferences (low rise v. high rise).  HY, Epaulet, & Rota all have different fits.  Don't forget Panta.  

 

Also, people may tell you what staples you should own, but that depends on your complexion, work environment, and geographical location IMO.  

post #1835 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by europrep View Post

Unfortunately hard to give advice without knowing what currently fits you well and your preferences (low rise v. high rise).  HY, Epaulet, & Rota all have different fits.  Don't forget Panta.  

Also, people may tell you what staples you should own, but that depends on your complexion, work environment, and geographical location IMO.  

True, but I think if grey pants doesn't work with your complexion then you're situation is pretty hopeless biggrin.gif. He's very right though about fit. If I showed you a picture of me in 32 HY USA fit vs 31 epaulet Walt fit, you'd see it's pretty insane.
post #1836 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironist View Post


True, but I think if grey pants doesn't work with your complexion then you're situation is pretty hopeless biggrin.gif. He's very right though about fit. If I showed you a picture of me in 32 HY USA fit vs 31 epaulet Walt fit, you'd see it's pretty insane.

 

Yes, gray should be a staple in everyone's wardrobe.  BUT, gray can mean so many things.  I can only wear light to mid grays because I have a pale complexion with blonde hair.  Dark gray/charcoal does not look good on me.  

post #1837 of 2128
I would prefer anything with a medium to high rise and basically if NMWA ever put out a lookbook I'd channel the same look. Really like Eidos, too. Also, enjoyed the Italian CBD thread.

I'm not so much looking for fit advice more so understanding staples. In the same vein as the thread regarding 5 necessary shoes I want to narrow it down to 5 necessary pants. Enough to rotate in a work week.

I also don't see a lot pleats on trousers. Are pleats rare nowadays? I think I would enjoy them biggrin.gif
post #1838 of 2128
In my opinion the best odd trousers fall within two color spectrums: grey and brown. On the grey side, charcoal, mid-grey and light grey. On the brown side, chocolate, tan, stone. Play with fabrics all you like, darker shades prefer winter fabrics and lighter summer. A few pairs per spectrum will do you for all odd-jacket, odd-trouser get ups.
post #1839 of 2128
That's really solid info!
post #1840 of 2128
I'm not sure I understand the concern about fabrics going with one's complexion with trousers. I get it with jackets, shirts, ties, etc., but trousers are so far away from any exposed skin that I don't see what difference one's complexion makes. I find light to medium grey and tan to medium brown to be great for odd trousers worn with a jacket. Sans jacket, navy and charcoal are fine, but they are harder to pair with jackets. Complexion seems almost irrelevant.
post #1841 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

 Sans jacket, navy and charcoal are fine, but they are harder to pair with jackets. 

 

I'd concede that about charcoal, darker greys are much less versatile.

post #1842 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

I'm not sure I understand the concern about fabrics going with one's complexion with trousers. I get it with jackets, shirts, ties, etc., but trousers are so far away from any exposed skin that I don't see what difference one's complexion makes. I find light to medium grey and tan to medium brown to be great for odd trousers worn with a jacket. Sans jacket, navy and charcoal are fine, but they are harder to pair with jackets. Complexion seems almost irrelevant.

I agree it is less relevant than with the other items you mentioned. Still, I tend to stay away from dark grays and charcoals due to my pale complexion and blonde hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louys View Post

In my opinion the best odd trousers fall within two color spectrums: grey and brown. On the grey side, charcoal, mid-grey and light grey. On the brown side, chocolate, tan, stone. Play with fabrics all you like, darker shades prefer winter fabrics and lighter summer. A few pairs per spectrum will do you for all odd-jacket, odd-trouser get ups.

Good advice in general. I think you can wear lighter colored trousers in the winter if they are in thicker fabrics like flannel or donegal. It is harder to wear darker colored trousers in the summer.
post #1843 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

ROTA seems really nice (offered by NMWA) but I never understood why button front vs. zipper. It just feels like an inconvenience when using the restroom.
Button fly is our choice. Rota can make it either way (and one can order MTO trousers with zip fly if preferred).

There is no practical reason to go button over zip, although some would argue a lost button is easier to repair than a broken/jammed zipper. Some say that a button fly lies better when sitting than a zipped one - others argue the opposite.

For me, button flies are just part of the old world charm that I like to see in classic clothing. Only stitches and buttons, and the idea that a suit is made exactly the same way now than it was several decades ago.
post #1844 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post


I'm not so much looking for fit advice more so understanding staples. In the same vein as the thread regarding 5 necessary shoes I want to narrow it down to 5 necessary pants. Enough to rotate in a work week.

I also don't see a lot pleats on trousers. Are pleats rare nowadays? I think I would enjoy them biggrin.gif

I would think seasonally: three light- to mid-gray flannels and two tan to mid-brown mottled cavalry twills for fall/winter, and cream, light brown, mustard, tan, and/or olive in linen or cotton and/or tan or light gray fresco for spring/summer. So, 10 essentials.
post #1845 of 2128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

I'm not so much looking for fit advice more so understanding staples. In the same vein as the thread regarding 5 necessary shoes I want to narrow it down to 5 necessary pants. Enough to rotate in a work week.

One could be elegantly dressed (perhaps not optimally but still fine) in mid-weight suits for most of the year, wearing an overcoat in chilly months to stay warm and perhaps suffering a bit during the summer. Trousers, however, I think really benefit from seasonality. For fall / winter, that means a lot of grey flannel (light to mid). You can supplement these with the occasional tan or brown in cavalry twill or flannel. Without reigniting the navy odd trousers debate, I think you could add in a navy flannel if you really wanted to if you're not wearing it with a jacket. For summer, Fresco or tropical weight wool trousers in a light to mid grey. If you can wear linen trousers to work, tan, cream and brown linen work nicely.

On weekends and for more casual times, linen is always acceptable and it's good to have a nice selection of linen trousers in summer. For fall / winter, corduroys and moleskins in tan / brown / green can be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

I also don't see a lot pleats on trousers. Are pleats rare nowadays? I think I would enjoy them biggrin.gif

I think there are some cycles that go on here with pleats. I don't personally like them and find flat fronts to be far better, but many well dressed men today and in years past wear pleats. You can definitely wear them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MC General Chat