or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MC General Chat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MC General Chat - Page 119

post #1771 of 2002
I have some vintage bespoke suits from 2012 I am thinking of getting made up into ties if anybody is interested.
post #1772 of 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I see, but saying something is something, but it isn't something is shitty and he should sit in the corner for that.

Replace "thing" with "one" and half of the forum would be in the corner.
post #1773 of 2002
Who says who is someone?
post #1774 of 2002
All I know is I'm a nobody.
post #1775 of 2002
Samesies.
post #1776 of 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

I really just think he bit off more than he could chew due to the rapid expansion of the business.

Personally, it was the combination of unique fabrics and the age that attracted me (as someone with an interest in the history of urban style). However the price seemed excessive from the start. It's all been a very interesting case-study in how luxury and niche markets work.

In regards to price, it seems commensurate with Drake's bespoke which is 150 GBP. Kiton RTW is about 300 USD. Cappelli and Sam Hober are very good value for your money in comparison. It really depends on how much you willing to pay for particular pattern or design. Margins must be potentially huge in the tie business.
post #1777 of 2002
I don't want to name names, but I have seen a lot of shoddy "handwork" on some 'spensive ties these days...
post #1778 of 2002
I'll grant this to Gianni: the business concept was excellent and someone with a conscience will make a wad of cash by copying the idea. I mentioned Southern Italy because I have an interest in Italian culture, and the South is furbo country. If someone can get away with fooling another and does it with style, the one playing shenanigans has furbo. It's a compliment. Gianni has furbo.
post #1779 of 2002
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaivio View Post

I'll grant this to Gianni: the business concept was excellent and someone with a conscience will make a wad of cash by copying the idea. I mentioned Southern Italy because I have an interest in Italian culture, and the South is furbo country. If someone can get away with fooling another and does it with style, the one playing shenanigans has furbo. It's a compliment. Gianni has furbo.

I think the issue is that -- whether you think it's admirable or not -- you're still playing up a stereotype that reduces a large group of people to just one character (e.g. "South is furbo country"). Most business going on in Southern Italy is perfectly fine and legitimate.
post #1780 of 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I think the issue is that -- whether you think it's admirable or not -- you're still playing up a stereotype that reduces a large group of people to just one character (e.g. "South is furbo country"). Most business going on in Southern Italy is perfectly fine and legitimate.

+1. When an American or British firm does something like this (as has happened many times), no one calls the perpetrator a "sly Anglo-Saxon" or anything similar. They're just considered a bad egg. But if an Italian does it, it's because Italy is JUST like that Scarface movie. Or was it the Godfather.
post #1781 of 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I'm thinking about selling off all my cardigans and v-neck sweaters, as I never wear them. Anyone find these useful? I don't like how they look when worn alone with a collared shirt, and also don't like how they look layered underneath a sport coat (they often look so fussy). Anyone have good examples of them being used?

One that comes to mind is Bruce Boyer, but I don't feel like I can pull off the look as well as he does.



Ok Bruce looks good. I wear light v-necks with shirts and leather jackets, not so much with scoat unless they're tweed or something. We had a real classical italian style (tm) dude who did it well in relatively formal outfit (Montesqieu?).
post #1782 of 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaivio View Post

I'll grant this to Gianni: the business concept was excellent and someone with a conscience will make a wad of cash by copying the idea. I mentioned Southern Italy because I have an interest in Italian culture, and the South is furbo country. If someone can get away with fooling another and does it with style, the one playing shenanigans has furbo. It's a compliment. Gianni has furbo.

I studied Italian extensively in Italy, although it is not so great anymore.  I never got the sense that "furbo" was necessarily a compliment.  Maybe in certain contexts, but not universally.  I wasn't in the deep south at any point (depends what you consider Naples to be) and can't claim to be an expert in the culture.  Perhaps you know more than I do, but I've seen people jokingly get called furbo and not love it so much.  Tend to agree with dieworkwear, though I don't think you intend anything negative.  Italian cultures (the regional cultures being what count) run wide and deep.

post #1783 of 2002
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Ok Bruce looks good. I wear light v-necks with shirts and leather jackets, not so much with scoat unless they're tweed or something. We had a real classical italian style (tm) dude who did it well in relatively formal outfit (Montesqieu?).

I liked your wearing one with a leather jacket. I just can't seem to wear one without looking like a dork.

[in before someone makes an obvious joke about why I might look like a dork]
post #1784 of 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I liked your wearing one with a leather jacket. I just can't seem to wear one without looking like a dork.

[in before someone makes an obvious joke about why I might look like a dork]

I like Margiela sweaters with elbow patches in black or grey, they're relatively slim and light but don't look too sleek Italian. I do have some silk-wool (? cotton maybe) Malo or Borrelli sweaters that I'll wear with a velvet jacket or whatever, not sure I don't look like a cunt, seems to be allright and it's comfy.

Wearing a big SNS herning sweater under this is also quite nice:
https://www.cabourn.com/collections/authentic?viewProduct=cameraman-classic&product=531d21127cbb88001500003f
post #1785 of 2002
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

I like Margiela sweaters with elbow patches in black or grey, they're relatively slim and light but don't look too sleek Italian. I do have some silk-wool (? cotton maybe) Malo or Borrelli sweaters that I'll wear with a velvet jacket or whatever, not sure I don't look like a cunt, seems to be allright and it's comfy.

Wearing a big SNS herning sweater under this is also quite nice:
https://www.cabourn.com/collections/authentic?viewProduct=cameraman-classic&product=531d21127cbb88001500003f

I was looking at a MMM sweatshirt a couple of years ago in Vancouver. Really beautiful material, and feel somewhat regretful I didn't buy it. Have been wanting to check out MMM knitwear more since.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MC General Chat