or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MC General Chat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MC General Chat - Page 118

post #1756 of 2129
Thanks for finding that dopey post. Reminds me also that I am due for a re-read of some tutee posts.
post #1757 of 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Thanks for finding that dopey post. Reminds me also that I am due for a re-read of some tutee posts.
I actually asked (e)tutee three years ago if I could repost a lot of his Apparel Arts-related posts, when I thought there may be a prominent place for such posts after the StyleForum redesign. He kindly replied that it would be fine, as long as I didn't include the text he wrote for the London Lounge. But then the "instructionals" or whatever they were called disappeared from the site. I just think it would be nice to have a single place to appreciate all of the research (and scanning) that he did.
post #1758 of 2129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Windowpane is much better

Thanks for the feedback, @gdl203, @Sotiris, and @unbelragazzo. I think you're right about the windowpane.
post #1759 of 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Windowpane is much better

Thanks for the feedback, @gdl203, @Sotiris, and @unbelragazzo. I think you're right about the windowpane.

@dieworkwear, I've got that exact windowpane dressing gown (from Merchant Fox, right?) and I can vouch for it being a beautiful cloth. When I got it, I put some photos of it here:

http://mostlyharmless.se/post/43642464644/the-merchant-fox-opened-in-2011-as-an-an-online
post #1760 of 2129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

@dieworkwear, I've got that exact windowpane dressing gown (from Merchant Fox, right?) and I can vouch for it being a beautiful cloth. When I got it, I put some photos of it here:

http://mostlyharmless.se/post/43642464644/the-merchant-fox-opened-in-2011-as-an-an-online
\

That looks great, Pingson. Makes me feel more confident about going with the windowpane. And yes -- the gown is from TMF.
post #1761 of 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

I guess the Passagio Cravatte affiliate thread is shutting down, which means all the posts will be gone. Figured I'd save this somewhere, since it was one of the more useful posts out of the whole thing.

...so Styleforum has been duped by Southern Italian shenanigans?
post #1762 of 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaivio View Post

...so Styleforum has been duped by Southern Italian shenanigans?

...sigh....
post #1763 of 2129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaivio View Post

...so Styleforum has been duped by Southern Italian shenanigans?

Gianni is actually Northern Italian, if that means anything.
post #1764 of 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Gianni is actually Northern Italian, if that means anything.

Sounds like you have been duped by some Southern Italian shenanigan.
post #1765 of 2129
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Sounds like you have been duped by some Southern Italian shenanigan.

If I can be honest, I can't tell the difference. They all sound the same to me.
post #1766 of 2129
Can somebody summarize what happened with Gianni?
post #1767 of 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Can somebody summarize what happened with Gianni?

 

Fashion journalist comes across a supply of old Italian silk fabric offcuts.

 

Thinks 'I could get ties made out of those and sell them as 'vintage' at a premium - especially if I do it in Napoli!'.

 

Invents authentic-sounding back-story.

 

Gets good publicity by sending free samples from his best fabrics to bloggers.

 

Builds up following of friend-customers on SF with his exclusive offerings, quirky Italian English, apparent expertise, and enthusiasm.

 

Demands rapidly exceeds supply, so he turns to any available fabric offcuts. He can't tell the difference anyway so how would anyone else?

 

Some real experts notice that some of the 'vintage' fabrics are 1. not that old; and/or, 2. English not Italian; and/or, 3. inkjet-printed; and/or, in some cases, 4. acquired by dubious methods;

 

Friend-customers start to become unhappy with broken promises, lengthy waiting times and evasion of basic questions.

 

Leaves SF and continues to sell by other means, hoping that no-one else has noticed.

post #1768 of 2129
I had met Gianni and Marta in Milan a few months back and they seemed perfectly reasonable. Then all the controversy about Passaggio Cravette started and had me worried for a while that I wouldn't get the ties that I ordered. I did receive my ties eventually but it wasn't without some anxiety. I like the ties I received and I'm thinking of getting more because he has patterns that I have seen nowhere else.

Unlike some people, the age of the fabrics have never been selling point for me.
post #1769 of 2129
I see, but saying something is something, but it isn't something is shitty and he should sit in the corner for that.
post #1770 of 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

I had met Gianni and Marta in Milan a few months back and they seemed perfectly reasonable. Then all the controversy about Passaggio Cravette started and had me worried for a while that I wouldn't get the ties that I ordered. I did receive my ties eventually but it wasn't without some anxiety. I like the ties I received and I'm thinking of getting more because he has patterns that I have seen nowhere else.

Unlike some people, the age of the fabrics have never been selling point for me.

 

I really just think he bit off more than he could chew due to the rapid expansion of the business.

 

Personally, it was the combination of unique fabrics and the age that attracted me (as someone with an interest in the history of urban style). However the price seemed excessive from the start. It's all been a very interesting case-study in how luxury and niche markets work.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › MC General Chat